Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

halexists

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I upgraded my iphone 5s to 7.0.3; my wife kept her 5s at 7.0.2. I put them side by side to compare and what I found was this:

7.0.3. launches apps faster than 7.0.2. (This happens reliably after an app has been opened a few times).

7.0.2 closes apps slower than 7.0.2 by a fair bit.

Anyone else with two identical iOS devices who can speak to this? I'm going to post a video of what I'm talking about soon.

burgerking2

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
I am VERY happy with the new fade animation in 7.0.3 :)

However, it is worth noting that the open app response time seems much faster than the close app response time.

When I tap an app to open, the fade transition seems to start almost instantaneously.

When I hit the home button to close the app, there is slight delay before the screen responds and the fade transition begins.

That being said, I really like this update and the slight delay doesn't bother me at all. Not complaining, just noting... And just wanted to confirm what the OP was seeing...

burgerking2

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
Why do you people obsess so much over your phones? just use them for crying out loud.

Because this is an online forum and this is why we're all here.

And it's more entertaining to have different types of discussions, than for every thread to simply say "I love my iPhone!" :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why do you people obsess so much over your phones? just use them for crying out loud.
It's sort of similar to why people spend time on online forums, while the vast majority that doesn't spend any time at all could find that weird and a complete waste of time and wouldn't get it why some would do it. To each their own type of thing.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011

Why did you come into this forum? Clearly you were interested to read the thread after reading the topic. Were you interested in the topic, or just bored? Why don't you just go use your phone for crying out loud. LOL

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Why did you come into this forum? Clearly you were interested to read the thread after reading the topic. Were you interested in the topic, or just bored? Why don't you just go use your phone for crying out loud. LOL

One major reason I frequent this forum is to help people with the issues they have with iOS 7 or to answer a "how do I" type questions.

What I'm sick and tired of are people who go out of their way to try and find a FAULT with iOS 7 and point fingers at Apple rather than use their phone.

People in Android forums don't do this. Here? It's "Cool" to poke Apple about every little thing.

"Oh the animation is 0.02 seconds slower"

"Oh, the parallax makes me want to throw up. now that Apple fixed it..I want them to put it back the way it was because I like to throw up"

"Oh look the font is off center by a millimeter"

It's funny how people will rush to make a thread about a "bug" which ends up being a simple setting that the user didn't even bother to search about but hey it may be a bug! so it's cool to join the "Apple sucks" crowd. :rolleyes:

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
One major reason I frequent this forum is to help people with the issues they have with iOS 7 or to answer a "how do I" type questions.

What I'm sick and tired of are people who go out of their way to try and find a FAULT with iOS 7 and point fingers at Apple rather than use their phone.

People in Android forums don't do this. Here? It's "Cool" to poke Apple about every little thing.

"Oh the animation is 0.02 seconds slower"

"Oh, the parallax makes me want to throw up. now that Apple fixed it..I want them to put it back the way it was because I like to throw up"

"Oh look the font is off center by a millimeter"

It's funny how people will rush to make a thread about a "bug" which ends up being a simple setting that the user didn't even bother to search about but hey it may be a bug! so it's cool to join the "Apple sucks" crowd. :rolleyes:

So we should just all keep throwing cash at Apple and not ask for anything in return? Sounds like you're the reason Apple's gotten stagnant in innovation. If you don't hold a company to certain expectations, they become complacent, kinda like what happened to Sony post-2000... and Dell, look how that turned out for them... and the big black berry in the room? Didn't go so well for them either.

Service 101... when you stop listening to your customers, you fail.

halexists

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Somebody can't read

So you must have read a lot into my post about the emotions just ROILING in me about how awfully I've been disadvantaged by the 7.0.3 update. To be clear, I've had time to talk to my therapist since my first post, and my hyperventilation over the injustice visited upon my iPhone is mostly under control.

Seriously though, you're missing something fundamental about the joy of geekdom. I did not complain. I did not kvetch. I did not whine. I found something interesting to those who follow iOS and posted it. That process of discovery and exploration is natural to some of us, and it's what I wanted to stoke.

You need to take your misplaced anger about the emotions you read into my post and find somewhere it's actually applicable.

Meanwhile, this thread will continue to form a discussion amongst people more informed than I about what exactly causes apps to open a quarter of a second faster in 7.0.3 and close half a second slower in same operating system. Developers, any theories? The floor is open to discussion without rancor!

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
So you must have read a lot into my post about the emotions just ROILING in me about how awfully I've been disadvantaged by the 7.0.3 update. To be clear, I've had time to talk to my therapist since my first post, and my hyperventilation over the injustice visited upon my iPhone is mostly under control.

Seriously though, you're missing something fundamental about the joy of geekdom. I did not complain. I did not kvetch. I did not whine. I found something interesting to those who follow iOS and posted it. That process of discovery and exploration is natural to some of us, and it's what I wanted to stoke.

You need to take your misplaced anger about the emotions you read into my post and find somewhere it's actually applicable.

Meanwhile, this thread will continue to form a discussion amongst people more informed than I about what exactly causes apps to open a quarter of a second faster in 7.0.3 and close half a second slower in same operating system. Developers, any theories? The floor is open to discussion without rancor!

This is not an iOS developer's forum so don't expect any intrigue from any developers.

Secondly, your bold statement of how this discussion will continue after you have dismissed my comments as misplaced anger is quite funny considering this thread has had 500 views and only 9 comments (2 of which are mine and 1 is of another user commenting on my comment).

Good luck with your "discussion" sir.

halexists

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Main mystery solved

This is not an iOS developer's forum so don't expect any intrigue from any developers.

Secondly, your bold statement of how this discussion will continue after you have dismissed my comments as misplaced anger is quite funny considering this thread has had 500 views and only 9 comments (2 of which are mine and 1 is of another user commenting on my comment).

Good luck with your "discussion" sir.

Why thank you for the well-wishes, Armen! I do look forward to this discussion proceeding in a fruitful... hold on, there's another call coming in...

Do your have triple click enabled for anything? (Guided access?) it slows down app closing by about a second.

Why yes, Jman, I do have triple-click enabled... but my wife doesn't. Mystery solved! If I turn it off, her apps close exactly as fast as mine. Thank you for pointing this out! It was surely not a difference between 7.0.2 and 7.0.3 but a matter of my never having compared before.

I checked the app open speed this morning, and (with or without the triple click turned on) I find no difference between versions in opening apps like I did last night. It was short, but noticeable and repeatable last night, but has disappeared into the ether of the morning for some reason.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
No problem. I had the same issue when I picked up my wife's 5 last week and was frustrated to find that she didn't have a delay when closing apps, but my high-speed 5S did. Someone pointed out the triple-click delay to me, and I turned off guided access capability and voila - delay gone. Why there's a delay, I have no idea, but I'm glad both of us have it sorted.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Do your have triple click enabled for anything? (Guided access?) it slows down app closing by about a second.
It's a bit odd how something like that can have such an impact, and yet it does. Disabled it in mine so that exiting/changing apps is even more snappier now (with reduce motion on as well).

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast

:rolleyes:

That's going down as one of my favorite iPhone whine quotes of all time. :)

I have an iPhone 5 and am running 7.03. I don't even know what "the parallax" is. :eek:

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I have an iPhone 5 and am running 7.03. I don't even know what "the parallax" is. :eek:

Ever heard of the Twilight Zone? It's the 2013 version.

Siri is the 2013 version of Hal 2001

iMessageGate is the 2013 version of when I didn't get my dessert when I was 5 because I wouldn't eat all my peas.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Ever heard of the Twilight Zone? It's the 2013 version.

Siri is the 2013 version of Hal 2001

iMessageGate is the 2013 version of when I didn't get my dessert when I was 5 because I wouldn't eat all my peas.

That made me chuckle.

----------

That's going down as one of my favorite iPhone whine quotes of all time. :)

This is Parallax. Apparently it causes motion sickness in some people.

ku-xlarge.gif

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That made me chuckle.

----------

This is Parallax. Apparently it causes motion sickness in some people.

It wasn't so much parallax as caused some vertigo like physiological effects in some people as it was the more pronounced motion in a lot of the animations used in iOS 7.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
It wasn't so much parallax as caused some vertigo like physiological effects in some people as it was the more pronounced motion in a lot of the animations used in iOS 7.

I'm not a doctor, but if I were I'd deny such psychological conditions to be NOT covered under a "pre-existing condition" clause. heh

burgerking2

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013

Thanks Jman! That seems to explain it. (See Armen, this thread was useful in helping us raise an issue and discuss it!)

Yes, I have triple-click enabled for Guided Access. I have small kids, so I need this feature to keep them from messing around with the phone! :)

With triple-click on, the phone takes a just a little bit longer to respond when I want to exit an app. When I turn it off, it's a bit quicker. Granted, we're only talking milliseconds, and it doesn't bother me in the least either way...

My guess is that with triple-click enabled, the phone has to wait a fraction of a second to make sure you're not in the process of triple-clicking, before exiting to the home screen.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

It was probably the animations more than anything I'm sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.