7.0.4 affecting lock button?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by pinsleric, Nov 14, 2013.

1. pinsleric macrumors member

I did a little searching and I couldn't find anyone else having this issue, so I thought I'd ask.

After upgrading to 7.0.4, my iPhone's lock button began behaving oddly. It still works, but only after it's pushed three or four times. Has anyone else been having this issue? Any idea on how to fix it?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

3. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

I've had that problem and so has many others but it's not iOS related but a hardware fault. I got it swapped over via the warranty, maybe you should too.

4. jonbags macrumors newbie

I noticed this on my iPhone 5 a few weeks go in 7.0.3 got a bit sick of it and searched around a bit for a fix. Supposed to be a common hardware fault but some people have had luck messing with the accessibility options.

Seems like you had exactly the same problem as me. Went through periods of being pretty responsive to periods of nothing. If you're still in warranty get it swapped like the previous poster said. I sent mine back to apple yesterday, processed today and are sending me a replacement due tomorrow so must be a common fault.

5. crazyk4952 macrumors newbie

I had this problem on my iPhone 4 running iOS 6. I believe that it was a hardware issue. I am using an iPhone 4S currently, and it has not been an issue.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

The only strange thing with something like that is if someone develops it right at the exact moment of installing a new update. That seems at least suspicious on some level.

7. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

You can look at it that way but I've heard of this problem so many times now. Several friends have had it too and when I got my 5 swapped over there were quite a lot of people swapping theirs that had the same problem too.

8. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I had this since the last iOS 6 version. I hoped it would be fixed with iOS 7 when it was the same, and in some instances worse, I had it swapped for a warranty unit. Works perfect again.

9. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

It's NOT software that's causing issue. That would be hardware issue, and is documented as a cable problem especially with iphone 5. I've had 2 replaced because of this.

10. pinsleric thread starter macrumors member

I just don't understand why, if it were a hardware issue, it only began behaving this way immediately after a software update.

11. waronxmas macrumors newbie

You are not alone, but it happened for me after I updated to 7.0.3. Before that release, the lock button on my iPhone 5 worked with nary a problem. Since, it's been alternating between long periods of not working to short periods of being normal.

I would take it in and swap it out, but this smart guy didn't buy Applecare...

12. John T macrumors 68020

John T

"7.0.4 affecting lock button".

Oh dear, whatever next?! Buttons on the iPhone (or anything else!) are mechanical switches. If they malfunction they should be repaired or replaced. :)

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

"Coincidence"

Only a small % of iPhone owners follow this forum.
    This thread has only a few responders who's Lock button has started going bad after a firmware update.

Compare that to the tens of thousands who have likely had their device replaced for a worn out lock button.

See the big picture :cool:

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

There have been quite a few threads/posts with the same kind if thing with previous iOS 7 updates as well. While they can all be a coincidence, it would still seem somewhat of a rather strange one, right? Similar to people who suddenly developed battery issues where the phone would shut down before they would even get close to 0%, all suddenly right after upgrading to iOS 7.

15. pinsleric thread starter macrumors member

I suppose I should make this more clear. I was using the phone for about an hour before I updated and it was perfectly fine. There were no locking and unlocking problems. Then, immediately after I updated, they began. I know that lock buttons wear out, and I have had that happen to me before. However, it has never happened so suddenly and noticeably immediately after a software update, which doesn't sound like much of a coincidence to me. I'm not trying to "blame" iOS 7 or anything because, frankly, I love it. I was just trying to figure out if this had happened to anyone else after they updated. Thanks so much for your help. :cool:

16. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

No change for me ... Maybe it's really a coincidence ...