7.1.2 Battery "usage" issues

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by sdirghalli, Jul 12, 2014.

1. sdirghalli macrumors newbie

I have noticed a significant reduction in the amount of time that my battery lasts after upgrading to 7.1.2....anyone else having this issue? Any fixes or known plans for Apple to address this (if it is a widespread problem).

Thanks!

2. NJFP macrumors 6502

Every time that there's a update, the bluetooth is activated by default. This will suck battery life. Keep your screen brightness as low as you can and turn off anything not necessary. I haven't noticed any difference in my battery performance with 7.1.2

3. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

If anything mine has improved! Try and reset and restore and see if it helps you OP.

4. sdirghalli thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. I've reset my phone multiple times. The strange thing is that the batt% will drop very quickly, and the phone will shut down with well over 10% left. Sometimes when I restart the phone, the % will change dramatically (from 3% to 60+%). It's really a all over the place. Any ideas?

5. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Take to service center for battery.

6. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I would go straight to apple store if possible and get it checked over, they can look at diagnostic logs etc and even check the Health of your battery.

7. mrsketch, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014

mrsketch macrumors member

Immediately after upgrading to iOS 7.1.2 my battery usage seemed less than before. I reset all settings and since then I have enjoyed the best battery usage I've had since my iPhone 4 running iOS 4.

I have an iPhone 5s

Check this out:

Attached Files:

8. Hustler macrumors 6502

Hustler

Mine seemed not to change much from 7.0.4 to 7.1.2.
    Interesting about resetting all settings though, I may have to try that to see if it gets even better.

9. SpyderBite, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014

SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Same here. Battery life was already good for me prior to the update. But now it is even better.

Of course battery life differs for everybody due to several factors. Coverage, wifi, Bluetooth usage, etc.

Hard to determine what poor battery life is as a general rule.

10. mrsketch macrumors member

True. iOS 8 will be really helpful in that. We will be able to see if poor cellular coverage is contributing to our battery life.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

I think it's fairly questionable whether or not Bluetooth (if not really being used to begin with) would have a noticeable effect on battery life, at lest not in most/usual cases. That said, it's definitely worth checking on at least some main/important settings after updates to make sure nothing got changed from the way you had it before and want it to be (like Bluetooth being turned on or something like that).

12. sdirghalli thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the input everyone! I took my phone to an Apple store and it was determined that the battery was bad. They replaced it...I'll see how that improves things over the next few days.

13. Hustler macrumors 6502

Hustler

So as I stated my battery WAS going just fine. We'll I tried reset all settings and with no other new apps or notable usage differences my battery is down to 1-5% by the time I get home from work when I used to have about 20-30%.
    Same 4-5 hour 'usage' times.
    Not too thrilled about that lol.

14. white4s macrumors 65816

not really, bluetooth 4.0 conserves very little battery when not in use

15. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Bluetooth enabled significantly reduces my battery life. With Bluetooth disabled I have no problem ending the day with 30% - 50% battery left. With Bluetooth I reach zero by suppa time.

16. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

Having Bluetooth 4.0 enabled on any of my past iPhones, has had little affect on my battery life. My iPhone I end my work day with 70-80% battery left.

17. mrsketch macrumors member

Dude! :(

Ah I feel like it's my fault. You were doing just fine.

There has to be a default setting that's hurting your battery life. Have you adjusted your settings back to as they were? Could be background app refresh or some system services using your location or push settings?

What about cellular? Did you have LTE enabled/disabled before you reset all settings?

18. Hustler macrumors 6502

Hustler

It's all good! It is what it is.
    I'm not sure really what setting would have done that. I switch lte off and on before and after the reset, I've never really noticed a big difference except when I'm traveling and away from city towers, then I switch it off until back home.

19. mrsketch macrumors member

Background app refresh?

20. Hustler macrumors 6502

Hustler

Just checked that, looks like the same apps I had using it before.

21. Hustler macrumors 6502

Hustler

So I reset my settings again this weekend and have enjoyed battery life back to the way it was before it was discharging very quick last week, including the last 2 work days. 6 hr 19 min usage 16 hr 43 min standby and I'm still at 35%. LTE all day at work and wifi at home.

22. mrsketch macrumors member

Hell yea dude!

That's awesome. That's also so weird. I wonder what caused the reduced usage time after the first settings reset. Oh well, as long as it's good now that's all that matters.

I feel so relieved haha I felt terrible knowing that your battery life was significantly less after following MY advice.

Cheers to our batteries that last us all day! ##

----------

How is your battery life now?

23. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Hello,

When you say reset all, was it erase content and settings? Or simply reset settings?

If a full on reset did you restore from backup or set up as new?

24. pilot1226, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014

pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I think this may be observer error:

I turned the battery percentage off on the phone. I found that I personally was obsessing over it. The more your screen is on, the more energy your phone will use.

I suggest a Mophie-type of case if you're really struggling with it, or if you're within your warranty, bring it to Apple Store and they can run a diagnostic on the battery and replace if needed.

Keep in mind the following:

If you're on a cell provider that doesn't have great signal (I have Sprint, I have around 2 bars at my house but around 4-5 on my commute and at work when I actually "need/use" my cell phone) that your phone will use more energy to maintain the connection to the cell tower.

Further, if you're using Cellular Data I suggest you try to disable it for a few days if you can.

I personally have disabled Cellular Data on my phone and the only thing it really impacts is my voicemail. So when I see I have a missed call I either call my voicemail box and put in my password or I re-enable Cellular Data for a few minutes and the visual voicemail works again. Your iMessage will work over Wifi but your text messages will go through as Texts, not iMessage, if your data is turned off and you're not near a Wifi hotspot.

My battery life has increased by roughly a third. The only time I'd need Cellular Data anyway is when I'm driving, and I shouldn't be playing FarmVille on my way home anyway. If I truly needed the Data, I'll turn it back on. I've found I really don't need it.

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

While disabling cellular data would save some battery of course, it's giving up quite a bit of functionality for a lot of users. Sure for some it might not make as much of an impact, but I would say that for majority who use their phones pretty much anywhere they are and there isn't wifi in a lot of places they would have access to, then a lot of functionality they come to expect from their phone (notifications from apps, use of most apps, email, browsing, etc.) won't be there.