7.1 Auto brightness not working?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by bmb76, Mar 13, 2014.

1. bmb76 macrumors newbie

Auto brightness seemed to work wonderful in ios 7. Since they update to 7.1, does not work correctly.
    It it constantly going very bright! So everytime I get a notification, it turns up bright.
    Very annoying, as this drains the battery!

ANyone else noticing this?

I've tried calibration, but that hasn't worked.

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Do you use the control panel?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1716084

3. bmb76 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been sliding it open to see where the brightness is set, and to turn it back down.

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Certainly in my case, control panel is the culprit. If I calibrate the auto brightness using the settings menu and I leave the control panel well alone, everything is ok. It's only when I use the control panel a few times that the screen brightness shoots up. YMMV.

5. bmb76 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I'll give it a shot!

----------

Doesn't seem to work.

Re-calibrated, received a text notification, and when I unlocked the phone, the brightness was way up!

Not sure if I'd rather have auto-brightness work, or deal with the random reboots that 7.1 seemed to fix.

6. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

In that case I would recommend a fresh install and if it still persists, switch auto brightness off....

7. bmb76 thread starter macrumors newbie

good god, maybe i'll do a restore from back-up, but certainly not going to lose everything just to get this to work again. So ridiculous that Apple continue to break things in these updates!:mad:

8. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Hmm, I'm experiencing this now.
    I recalibrate my auto-brightness daily and yet it is forever going much brighter than I want.
    If I go into bright light the screen goes ridiculously bright, and it is always much higher than it needs to be for any given conditions.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

How do you go about recalibrating (in case that might be somehow behind it all)?

10. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Switch off auto brightness, lower the slider as far as it will go, enter into a pitch-black room and then switch it on again.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, that seems about right. Strange that it doesn't seem to get it working well enough for you. I think I've only done it once or twice in iOS 7 in general and it seems to work fairly well without really being too bright or too dim in different circumstances. Could there be anything with the phone that you have perhaps (since based on some other threads it seems like even restoring as new still seems to result in various issues for you)?

12. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I'm stumped. The phone was only 7 weeks old when iOS7 was released, so it was hardly a worn-out device and furthermore it worked perfectly with 6.1.4
    Ever since installing iOS7 I've had nothing but battery life problems and strange bugs.
    I've had iPhones before and never do OTA software upgrades. I have always done clean installs and didn't have many issues at all over the years. My battery checks out fine and I have no hardware issues, everything works...it just works badly and I'm convinced it's to do with the operating system software.

13. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

my brightness/Auto-Brightness has been glitchy since day 1 of my iPhone 5S.

Many times I notice it is hard to read and see the brightness level (on control panel) is set all the way down. Normally I leave it between 1/8 - 1/4 brightness anyway so it isn't too bright.

Then there are times when it jumps really bright.
    I think the main cause of it going Full Brightness is when i use an app like Starbucks to pay with barcode. it seems to jump all the way up and if I simply close or the phone auto-shuts off then it stays at full brightness. IF I close out of the app (not fully quit) it will be fine.

BUT I still get the brightness drops to ZERO often.

Thankfully we can control it without going too many levels into Settings.

14. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Reset all settings should get it working again. You will have to reset every setting you've ever done but it fixes the problem.

15. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

This has worked for me for about 4 days now. I hope it stays fixed.

16. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Auto brightness definitely works differently in 7.1
    The screen is a lot brighter at all times, too bright in fact, and it goes to full brightness in direct sunlight. It is way too 'keen' to adjust itself and if I lower the slider then the screen becomes too dark on an evening. My screen is forever getting bright and then going dim. A clean install from a fresh download of 7.1 hasn't cured this.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, I can't say I've noticed it working any different that it did before in 7.0 or even in 6.

As for direct sunlight, seems like going to full brightness would be the correct thing to see as even at that it can be hard to see everything all that well in direct sunlight, so going to the maximum would be the appropriate thing to happen, and as I recall has been happening in pre-iOS 7 days as well.

18. sunking101, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014

sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I tells ya, my auto brightness is acting differently to how it did in 6.1.4 and 7.0 through 7.0.6
    The screen is *always* brighter than it needs to be. When I said that it goes to maximum in direct sunlight, this is the start of an English Springtime, not the Bahamas. The slider didn't need to go above halfway.
    Those who have their screen brightness fairly high anyway probably won't notice, but I have always found my iPhone5 screen to be much brighter than my previous iPhone4 and this is even more the case with the 'bright' iOS7 o/s.
    I have the screen fairly dim and this has never previously been a problem until 7.1 came along. It seems to want to put my brightness higher than I want all the time. In fact, I'm going to have to switch auto brightness off.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

I know you've done the recalibration, and it's more or less the same as described in the following article, but give it a try with their specific steps to see if it might make a difference: http://www.imore.com/how-fix-auto-brightness-issues-under-ios-6 Beyond that, perhaps trying the "reduce white point" setting might be of some (even minor) help, if you haven't tried it yet. And, as you mentioned, perhaps turning auto-brightness off if it's really bothering you might be one of those last resort type of things.

That said, doesn't seem like there are really any other solutions there as there's likely not much that can be done beyond all the previously suggested things and not really that many people are running into this or various other issues.

20. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

This bug is odd as auto brightness works fine on my phone but not my ipad. It just jeeps going to max no matter what I try

21. chirop macrumors member

You can try the following:

To fix it, you need to head into the brightness settings (Settings > Brightness & Wallpaper), toggle auto-brightness off, and then adjust the brightness slider to the minimum setting when you're in a dark room. Next, toggle the auto-brightness setting back to "on," and it should be calibrated and working properly. If that doesn't work, you can try calibrating both the maximum and minimum levels. This seemed to help with my problem at least, so if you're having trouble with auto-brightness it's worth a shot

22. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

This bug could be why some are reporting poorer battery life as the overlit backlight is going to cane the battery.