7.1 Automatic Facebook Contact Photos

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
California
I started noticing that when someone calls me their contact photo is populated automagically. Two people in particular that I noticed it with do have contact entries in my phone, but I am not friends with them on any social networks or elsewhere that I can see that would allow the photo to be pulled in.

After a little bit of research, I did confirm that the auto-populated photos were their Facebook profile photos, but again, I am not "friends" with them there.

So, it appears that 7.1 introduces a new feature that can pull anyone's Facebook profile photo instantaneously, even if you are not "friends", and display it when they call/in your call log/contact entries? My understanding was that the feature only extended to those that you were "friends" with?

Presumably this is controlled by a privacy setting on the user's side on Facebook, but I have not been able to test that as of yet.

Has anyone else noticed this and/or tested further?

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
I started noticing that when someone calls me their contact photo is populated automagically. Two people in particular that I noticed it with do have contact entries in my phone, but I am not friends with them on any social networks or elsewhere that I can see that would allow the photo to be pulled in.

After a little bit of research, I did confirm that the auto-populated photos were their Facebook profile photos, but again, I am not "friends" with them there.

So, it appears that 7.1 introduces a new feature that can pull anyone's Facebook profile photo instantaneously, even if you are not "friends", and display it when they call/in your call log/contact entries? My understanding was that the feature only extended to those that you were "friends" with?

Presumably this is controlled by a privacy setting on the user's side on Facebook, but I have not been able to test that as of yet.

Has anyone else noticed this and/or tested further?

If the person has their Facebook profile set to publicly show their phone number, it will pull down their contact picture.

Note: This came in handy a few times when I was online dating. Their contact picture from Facebook was usually a lot different than the one on the website lmao.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
iOS 7 already automatically creates a Facebook link for a contact if they have their phone number on Facebook as publicly searchable. This just goes one step further by adding a photo too.

Handy feature I can imagine, but one reason by I don't have my phone number on Facebook.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
California
Was this always the case? I thought that previously you had to be friends to grab the contact photo?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Im pretty sure you have to be friends/saved contact or else the pizza delivery guy will call and a photo would come up lol.
You likely need to have the contact saved at least, but perhaps not necessarily be friends if that delivery guy's Facebook profile photo is public along with the number he is calling from being listed as part of his profile and also set to public.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Im pretty sure you have to be friends/saved contact or else the pizza delivery guy will call and a photo would come up lol.
I've added people's numbers (7.0.x) and it automatically added their Facebook profile photo to their contact...even though I am not friends with them on FB. Based solely on their phone number.

But yeah...you do have to have the contact saved. It won't do it for any random person that calls you.

Dave Felix

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2011
Scranton, Pennsylvania
I've added people's numbers (7.0.x) and it automatically added their Facebook profile photo to their contact...even though I am not friends with them on FB. Based solely on their phone number.

But yeah...you do have to have the contact saved. It won't do it for any random person that calls you.
That's weird? I never noticed that.

Last edited: