7.1 Automatic Facebook Contact Photos

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Patriot24, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I started noticing that when someone calls me their contact photo is populated automagically. Two people in particular that I noticed it with do have contact entries in my phone, but I am not friends with them on any social networks or elsewhere that I can see that would allow the photo to be pulled in.

After a little bit of research, I did confirm that the auto-populated photos were their Facebook profile photos, but again, I am not "friends" with them there.

So, it appears that 7.1 introduces a new feature that can pull anyone's Facebook profile photo instantaneously, even if you are not "friends", and display it when they call/in your call log/contact entries? My understanding was that the feature only extended to those that you were "friends" with?

Presumably this is controlled by a privacy setting on the user's side on Facebook, but I have not been able to test that as of yet.

Has anyone else noticed this and/or tested further?

2. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

If the person has their Facebook profile set to publicly show their phone number, it will pull down their contact picture.

Note: This came in handy a few times when I was online dating. Their contact picture from Facebook was usually a lot different than the one on the website lmao.

3. kolax macrumors G3

iOS 7 already automatically creates a Facebook link for a contact if they have their phone number on Facebook as publicly searchable. This just goes one step further by adding a photo too.

Handy feature I can imagine, but one reason by I don't have my phone number on Facebook.

4. Patriot24 thread starter macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Was this always the case? I thought that previously you had to be friends to grab the contact photo?

5. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Im pretty sure you have to be friends/saved contact or else the pizza delivery guy will call and a photo would come up lol.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

You likely need to have the contact saved at least, but perhaps not necessarily be friends if that delivery guy's Facebook profile photo is public along with the number he is calling from being listed as part of his profile and also set to public.

7. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I've added people's numbers (7.0.x) and it automatically added their Facebook profile photo to their contact...even though I am not friends with them on FB. Based solely on their phone number.

But yeah...you do have to have the contact saved. It won't do it for any random person that calls you.

8. Dave Felix, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014

Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

That's weird? I never noticed that.

9. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Yes always been the case with iOS 7