Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
I have read several threads/posts from people who have experienced either screen freezes, unexpected power downs and/or restarts/logouts (including me). I have also seen a couple forum members who claim that when they switched to a Graphic Card other than the W5700X, that those problems apparently went away (either by switching to the entry level 580X or by upgrading to the Pro Vega II card).

I am just trying to see if there is any correlation before I contact Apple Support again? I see plenty of people who have reported suspected issues with the W5700X, but I am really curious how many people have seen a lot of this behavior that use other graphics cards?

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
My machine would hang when it tried to go to sleep. I'm not sure if it was my video card or my highpoint PCI U.2 card. The solution was to turn sleep off on the machine, which was what I also had to do on my old 5,1.

I still have my screens go to sleep, but the CPU stays on.

Anyway, once I prevented sleep, the system has been very reliable (knock wood).

I would be great to get around the issue, but the solution worked well enough that my curiosity ended there. Hopefully others will have more on point solutions.

My video card is the Radeon Pro WX 9100

Reactions: choreo

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Per previous threads you've been in, chiming in that I experience no issue on your above title description for the Vega II equipped Mac Pro.

erroneous

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2004
I experienced these issues with a third party 5700XT (Red Devil) installed with no other GPUs. I also experienced it with the same 5700xt active alongside the base 580X MPX module.

I have not experienced this with the 580X MPX installed alone, or with the 5700xt alongside the 580 MPX but not active.

Last edited:

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
T2 chip just isn't playing nicely with aftermarket components preventing sleep issues. Disable sleep and the issues should go away, but this has been going on ever since it was released and no fix inbound.

Athraldur

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2020
My MP 7.1 has got Kernel Panics and Freezes after wake up from sleep and then only on launch of any Adobe App or FC. Never got a crash from Start, only after Sleep (no matter if it was a short or deep sleep).

There are also flickering and glitches during work and a red Apple on Start. My Display is a XDR with a fresh (second) TB3 Cable. Never saw that before on my other Macs (MP 6.1 and iMac).

My Graphic Card is... what a miracle... the W5700X.

I have tried everything like fresh Install of Catalina 10.15.4 - 5 and 6, resetting PRAM, deactivating Energy Options, second Installation on a seperate partition, T2 at Medium Level but unfortunately nothing helped!

Some Methods seems to work, like disconnecting my NAS and closing every Adobe App before sleep but the Problem(s) always come back after some Days.

A Guy in a German Forum said that those Problems are caused by the Navi Driver of the newer RDNA Architecture.

In Safe Mode the Freezes and Kernel Panics does not happen so it sounds plausible.

Maybe I‘ll try the Vega II?

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
My MP 7.1 has got Kernel Panics and Freezes after wake up from sleep and then only on launch of any Adobe App or FC. Never got a crash from Start, only after Sleep (no matter if it was a short or deep sleep).

There are also flickering and glitches during work and a red Apple on Start. My Display is a XDR with a fresh (second) TB3 Cable. Never saw that before on my other Macs (MP 6.1 and iMac).

My Graphic Card is... what a miracle... the W5700X.

I have tried everything like fresh Install of Catalina 10.15.4 - 5 and 6, resetting PRAM, deactivating Energy Options, second Installation on a seperate partition, T2 at Medium Level but unfortunately nothing helped!

Some Methods seems to work, like disconnecting my NAS and closing every Adobe App before sleep but the Problem(s) always come back after some Days.

A Guy in a German Forum said that those Problems are caused by the Navi Driver of the newer RDNA Architecture.

In Safe Mode the Freezes and Kernel Panics does not happen so it sounds plausible.

Maybe I‘ll try the Vega II?
I purchased with the Pro Vega Duo because that was what was shown working at the 2019 WWDC and I thought the GPU would be rock stable otherwise they wouldn’t risk showing it off...

Schismz

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
I purchased with the Pro Vega Duo because that was what was shown working at the 2019 WWDC and I thought the GPU would be rock stable otherwise they wouldn’t risk showing it off...
Same card, same thought processes (except mine is just a Vega II, not the Duo). Absolutely none of the problems in this thread.

Is the Vega card over-priced? Yup. Do I intend to replace or augment it in years to come? Sure. Does it just work right now without causing 101 dumb problems? Yes. Mission accomplished, Apple Tax paid, I can work in peace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.