General 7.1 Release Date Pegged For This Week?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lukejc1, Mar 4, 2014.

1. lukejc1 macrumors 6502

2. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

Completed my 7.0.6 transition from 7.0.4 yesterday :)

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, and everyone with issues, bugs, crashes and other problems do your restore now and rejailbreak cause you will not be able to soon. If you want to stay JB you will be stuck most likely on your current JB firmware for a while.

4. bobright macrumors 601

How do we know that 7.1 is going to patch the jailbreak?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

We don't 100%, but good chances are it will.

6. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

It'll surely will as b4/b5 have already done so.

7. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

this is true.

I don't know if it was ever confirmed if there was a proper kernel patch, but supposedly initial injection points (or vectors? i dunno) were closed.

8. Gmerdude macrumors 6502

Gmerdude

9. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

But not at the beginning. We may have to wait for even half a year for a working JB.

Nevertheless, after my very thorough tests (which I finished some hours ago) of 7.0.6 on my rMini (fresh install, absolutely no restores) I'd say 7.0.6 is perfectly usable on 64-bit tablets. Of course 64-bit code allocates more RAM for exactly the same content (even Web pages), but I haven't found 7.0.6 so bad. That is, the "it really sucks and absolutely horrendous" comments are certainly exaggerated. That is, we can certainly live with 7.0.6 before a JB for subsequent versions is released.

I'll post a very detailed analysis (basically, a 64-bit update of the one at http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18522600&postcount=61 ) as soon as I have some time. Before that, however, I'll post my latest hack.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Who said it won't?

11. a2k macrumors member

Menneisyys, so what's your take or recommendation, jump on the 7.0.6 bandwagon or stay on 7.1b3?

12. XboxMySocks, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014

XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

The ability to escape the sandbox, evading the need to codesign, and the chown (change owners) bug which was introduced on iOS 7 allowing evad3rs to change the permissions on /dev/rdisk0s1s1 (the rootfs) to mobile have been fixed. These making up around 40% of a jailbreak process (not based on difficulty because that fluctuates, just on the actual steps in the process)

13. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

7.1b3 is slightly better on iPads and, if you browse the Web a lot, considerably better on iPhones, both 32 and 64-bit. If you're on an iPad, I wouldn't bother downgrading, unless you do need Lightning HDMI support. Now, iPhones are a different question - if you do browse the Web, that is.

14. a2k macrumors member

So if I understand you correctly, definitely 7.1b3 for the iPhone 5s?

15. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Yup - just like for the iPhone 5. Again, if you don't need HDMI output and browse the Web a lot. The difference is enormous, Web stability- and memory usage-wise, between 7.0.x and 7.1.x.

16. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I feel even better about being on 7.1b2 on my phone.

rMini I saw it first hand. iPhone I've just gone with the flow.

Don't need HDMI output either :D But I'm glad it supposedly works with b5 (getting it ready for GM, though no JB is a doozy)