General 7.1 Release Date Pegged For This Week?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes, and everyone with issues, bugs, crashes and other problems do your restore now and rejailbreak cause you will not be able to soon. If you want to stay JB you will be stuck most likely on your current JB firmware for a while.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Yes, and everyone with issues, bugs, crashes and other problems do your restore now and rejailbreak cause you will not be able to soon. If you want to stay JB you will be stuck most likely on your current JB firmware for a while.
How do we know that 7.1 is going to patch the jailbreak?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
7.1 will be jail broken stop saying it won't
But not at the beginning. We may have to wait for even half a year for a working JB.

Nevertheless, after my very thorough tests (which I finished some hours ago) of 7.0.6 on my rMini (fresh install, absolutely no restores) I'd say 7.0.6 is perfectly usable on 64-bit tablets. Of course 64-bit code allocates more RAM for exactly the same content (even Web pages), but I haven't found 7.0.6 so bad. That is, the "it really sucks and absolutely horrendous" comments are certainly exaggerated. That is, we can certainly live with 7.0.6 before a JB for subsequent versions is released.

I'll post a very detailed analysis (basically, a 64-bit update of the one at http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18522600&postcount=61 ) as soon as I have some time. Before that, however, I'll post my latest hack.

a2k

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
But not at the beginning. We may have to wait for even half a year for a working JB.

Nevertheless, after my very thorough tests (which I finished some hours ago) of 7.0.6 on my rMini (fresh install, absolutely no restores) I'd say 7.0.6 is perfectly usable on 64-bit tablets. Of course 64-bit code allocates more RAM for exactly the same content (even Web pages), but I haven't found 7.0.6 so bad. That is, the "it really sucks and absolutely horrendous" comments are certainly exaggerated. That is, we can certainly live with 7.0.6 before a JB for subsequent versions is released.

I'll post a very detailed analysis (basically, a 64-bit update of the one at http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18522600&postcount=61 ) as soon as I have some time. Before that, however, I'll post my latest hack.
Menneisyys, so what's your take or recommendation, jump on the 7.0.6 bandwagon or stay on 7.1b3?

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
this is true.

I don't know if it was ever confirmed if there was a proper kernel patch, but supposedly initial injection points (or vectors? i dunno) were closed.
The ability to escape the sandbox, evading the need to codesign, and the chown (change owners) bug which was introduced on iOS 7 allowing evad3rs to change the permissions on /dev/rdisk0s1s1 (the rootfs) to mobile have been fixed. These making up around 40% of a jailbreak process (not based on difficulty because that fluctuates, just on the actual steps in the process)

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Menneisyys, so what's your take or recommendation, jump on the 7.0.6 bandwagon or stay on 7.1b3?
7.1b3 is slightly better on iPads and, if you browse the Web a lot, considerably better on iPhones, both 32 and 64-bit. If you're on an iPad, I wouldn't bother downgrading, unless you do need Lightning HDMI support. Now, iPhones are a different question - if you do browse the Web, that is.

a2k

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
7.1b3 is slightly better on iPads and, if you browse the Web a lot, considerably better on iPhones, both 32 and 64-bit. If you're on an iPad, I wouldn't bother downgrading, unless you do need Lightning HDMI support. Now, iPhones are a different question - if you do browse the Web, that is.
So if I understand you correctly, definitely 7.1b3 for the iPhone 5s?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
So if I understand you correctly, definitely 7.1b3 for the iPhone 5s?
Yup - just like for the iPhone 5. Again, if you don't need HDMI output and browse the Web a lot. The difference is enormous, Web stability- and memory usage-wise, between 7.0.x and 7.1.x.

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
Yup - just like for the iPhone 5. Again, if you don't need HDMI output and browse the Web a lot. The difference is enormous, Web stability- and memory usage-wise, between 7.0.x and 7.1.x.
I feel even better about being on 7.1b2 on my phone.

rMini I saw it first hand. iPhone I've just gone with the flow.

Don't need HDMI output either :D But I'm glad it supposedly works with b5 (getting it ready for GM, though no JB is a doozy)