7.1 Siri enhanced quality bug

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by melapple, Mar 12, 2014.

1. melapple macrumors regular

Unable to install Siri's US English enhanced voice (general > accessibility > voice over). I had already downloaded that while on iOS 7.0 but it shows as disabled.
    If I try to enable it again it says "preparing download" with a progress bar which as download continues each times keeps filling from the beginning... When download ends it does not install.

Weird thing is I believe Siri already sounds like "enhanced quality" is enabled

Anyone experiencing this?

2. sjtidy macrumors member

Same thing happened to me with the UK voice. In the end I just restored it as new, and then it worked first time. Not the best solution though.

3. melapple, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014

melapple thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I really hate the thought of having to copy all I have in my phone due to restoring

4. melapple thread starter macrumors regular

Found an easy solution:
    When in general > accessibility > voice over
    Clicked edit
    Deleted US English language
    Selected US English again
    Enhanced quality downloaded with no issues

5. Imory macrumors 6502a

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the US version already have an "enhanced voice"? Is the voiceover quality related to the quality of how natural Siri sounds? I don't think so. They serve two different purposes. The voiceover gives you the option to download enhanced quality in several different languages, such as swedish. However, a swedish version of Siri is not currently available.

Therefore, the sound quality of the voiceover is not related to the sound quality of Siri. It might increase the quality of the voice when asking it to read something specific, but I don't believe it makes Siri sound more natural when you normally interact with it.

6. melapple thread starter macrumors regular

Those options apply to both VoiceOver and Siri. Of course in those cases where Siri is not available in a particular language it only applies to the former as you can see in this Apple page

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5025