7.1 using cellular data over WiFi?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
I have had 7.1 installed for approx 4 days on my iPhone5 (since my second clean install) and I have just noticed that my cellular data count is showing 2.8GB.
Am I reading this right, does it mean that 2.8GB of my cellular data plan has been used in 4 days?
I usually use less than that in 30 days, as I'm connected to WiFi 95%+ of the time.

OR has my iCloud restore backed up old figures? Are these call count and cellular data figures backed up and restored to the phone too? This would make sense but I need to make sure that I'm not going to be racking up a huge data bill :-o

Last edited:

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I have had 7.1 installed for approx 4 days on my iPhone5 (since my second clean install) and I have just noticed that my cellular data count is showing 2.8GB.
Am I reading this right, does it mean that 2.8GB of my cellular data plan has been used in 4 days?
I usually use less than that in 30 days, as I'm connected to WiFi 95%+ of the time.

OR has my iCloud restore backed up old figures? Are these call count and cellular data figures backed up and restored to the phone too? This would make sense but I need to make sure that I'm not going to be racking up a huge data bill :-o

[url=http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/sunking101/318CEFCE-AE7B-4813-BE6A-145D58B841E8.png]Image[/URL]
Yeah there's definitely something weird going on with iCloud or something. Mine is showing 6.3gb of data used, but My Verizon says I've used 0.6gb so far this month. I don't think you need to worry about data usage being ridiculously high.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Yeah there's definitely something weird going on with iCloud or something. Mine is showing 6.3gb of data used, but My Verizon says I've used 0.6gb so far this month. I don't think you need to worry about data usage being ridiculously high.
I think you're probably right. I've reset my data figures so that I can keep an eye on them.

----------

Hmm, in the 30 mins since I reset my data count, and during which time my phone has been locked onto WiFi, this has happened:

And my Notes app is showing 122kb of cellular data.

Why??

ParryD

macrumors member
May 16, 2010
I did a 7.1 OTA on my 5S & iPad Mini. A day after the update, the first time both the devices were put on charger with WiFi; they went ahead... downloaded data around 1GB & hence caused the extra filling up of the space by almost 1GB.

The 'OTHER' occupied 2.13GB of the disk on iPhone, which was earlier around 1.2GB. Spoke to Apple Support, but they have not clue of such a bug. All they suggest is Restore.

Today my phone just got switched off b'coz of no battery, it was connected with WiFi. After I connected it with charger & by time it booted it was already 2-3mins. I noticed some data transfer on my connection; on checking my phone... found another 100MB downloaded.

For all I can think of now, is not to leave the device connected to WiFi when on charge.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I think you're probably right. I've reset my data figures so that I can keep an eye on them.

----------

Hmm, in the 30 mins since I reset my data count, and during which time my phone has been locked onto WiFi, this has happened:

[url=http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/sunking101/052BC4E3-C145-43F3-A325-0165C298B772.png]Image[/URL]

And my Notes app is showing 122kb of cellular data.

Why??
That's very strange. Check what your carrier says your usage has been. I'm not going to worry until Verizon starts sending me messages about it.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
My i5 has used 288kb of cellular data for 'system' this afternoon whilst being connected to WiFi the entire time. Sure this isn't much but I just don't understand why the system is using ANY cellular data whilst connected to a WiFi network, it makes no sense.

Last edited:

drjoe66

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2014
I resent my counter 5 hours ago. Was on the same Wifi 100% of the time. Now the cellular counter shows 137.8 MB...... And yes, it's MB, not KB.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
Apparently, you've made 4 days and 8 hours worth of phone calls.

I think it's quite unlikely you've done that since you wiped your phone 4 days ago.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
but I just don't understand why the system is using ANY cellular data whilst connected to a WiFi network, it makes no sense.
It sure doesn't, but it happens. Always has.

It should always be small stuff, though. If it's more than 1 or 2 MB per day then something weird is up.

But for some kilobytes here and there, yeah, that's always been the case.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
iOS 7 has a fallback feature that happens when the wifi signal is low or weak, the phone will use cellular data
Well it shouldn't! If I choose to be connected to WiFi then that is what it should use.
As for this constant trickle of kilobytes over cellular data whilst connected to a full-strength WiFi network, just why?? Surely this isn't too hard to fix??

yzjustdatguy

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2013
Atlanta
Well it shouldn't! If I choose to be connected to WiFi then that is what it should use.
As for this constant trickle of kilobytes over cellular data whilst connected to a full-strength WiFi network, just why?? Surely this isn't too hard to fix??
Just cut off cellular data when on wifi

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Just cut off cellular data when on wifi
It's a hassle and often I don't remember to.
Nor, frankly, should I have to.

----------

On iOS when you have turned on WiFi and cellular- push notifications uses mostly cellular data because it is more reliable connection.
How on earth can cellular be more reliable than a full-strength WiFi connection?