7.1 using cellular data over WiFi?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by sunking101, Mar 19, 2014.

1. sunking101, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014

sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I have had 7.1 installed for approx 4 days on my iPhone5 (since my second clean install) and I have just noticed that my cellular data count is showing 2.8GB.
    Am I reading this right, does it mean that 2.8GB of my cellular data plan has been used in 4 days?
    I usually use less than that in 30 days, as I'm connected to WiFi 95%+ of the time.

OR has my iCloud restore backed up old figures? Are these call count and cellular data figures backed up and restored to the phone too? This would make sense but I need to make sure that I'm not going to be racking up a huge data bill :-o

[​IMG]

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Yeah there's definitely something weird going on with iCloud or something. Mine is showing 6.3gb of data used, but My Verizon says I've used 0.6gb so far this month. I don't think you need to worry about data usage being ridiculously high.

3. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

I think you're probably right. I've reset my data figures so that I can keep an eye on them.

----------

Hmm, in the 30 mins since I reset my data count, and during which time my phone has been locked onto WiFi, this has happened:

[​IMG]

And my Notes app is showing 122kb of cellular data.

Why??

4. ParryD macrumors member

I did a 7.1 OTA on my 5S & iPad Mini. A day after the update, the first time both the devices were put on charger with WiFi; they went ahead... downloaded data around 1GB & hence caused the extra filling up of the space by almost 1GB.

The 'OTHER' occupied 2.13GB of the disk on iPhone, which was earlier around 1.2GB. Spoke to Apple Support, but they have not clue of such a bug. All they suggest is Restore.

Today my phone just got switched off b'coz of no battery, it was connected with WiFi. After I connected it with charger & by time it booted it was already 2-3mins. I noticed some data transfer on my connection; on checking my phone... found another 100MB downloaded.

For all I can think of now, is not to leave the device connected to WiFi when on charge.

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

That's very strange. Check what your carrier says your usage has been. I'm not going to worry until Verizon starts sending me messages about it.

6. sunking101, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014

sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

My i5 has used 288kb of cellular data for 'system' this afternoon whilst being connected to WiFi the entire time. Sure this isn't much but I just don't understand why the system is using ANY cellular data whilst connected to a WiFi network, it makes no sense.

7. drjoe66 macrumors newbie

I resent my counter 5 hours ago. Was on the same Wifi 100% of the time. Now the cellular counter shows 137.8 MB...... And yes, it's MB, not KB.

8. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

Apparently, you've made 4 days and 8 hours worth of phone calls.

I think it's quite unlikely you've done that since you wiped your phone 4 days ago.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It sure doesn't, but it happens. Always has.

It should always be small stuff, though. If it's more than 1 or 2 MB per day then something weird is up.

But for some kilobytes here and there, yeah, that's always been the case.

10. yzjustdatguy macrumors regular

yzjustdatguy

iOS 7 has a fallback feature that happens when the wifi signal is low or weak, the phone will use cellular data

11. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

Well it shouldn't! If I choose to be connected to WiFi then that is what it should use.
    As for this constant trickle of kilobytes over cellular data whilst connected to a full-strength WiFi network, just why?? Surely this isn't too hard to fix??

12. yzjustdatguy macrumors regular

yzjustdatguy

Just cut off cellular data when on wifi

13. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

It's a hassle and often I don't remember to.
    Nor, frankly, should I have to.

----------

How on earth can cellular be more reliable than a full-strength WiFi connection?

14. Menel Suspended

Menel

In theory on all the time, in all locations, fewer dead spots.

15. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

This would be all well and good if cellular data were free. As things stand then WiFi is plenty good enough.