7.15 GB of "Other" on my iPad-what's that about?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Azzin, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Azzin macrumors 68040

Hi all,

I'm just syncing my iPad and I noticed that there's 7.15GB of "Other" showing at the bottom of iTunes (on the Summary page).

I know I've got a lot of stuff on it (that's why I went for the 64 gig model!), but I'm curious as to what this "other" is.

I'm sure I've seen similar posts with iPhones, but I'll be damned if I can find any of them.

Anyway, it's a 64 gig 3G model and it was jailbroken using Spir1t if that helps.

All suggestions welcome!

Ta.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Do you have any apps like GoodReader (or another of similar functionality), and if so, have you uploaded any files to that app.

I use GoodReader and Pages and I have about 1.5-2GB of files and documents that I have uploaded to that app and my iPad sees that as 'Other' data.

3. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks, but no I don't have Goodreader.

4. lvyelion macrumors member

That's the space used by all APPs other than iBooks, iTunes, Podcast and Movie to store files, like books you uploaded not for iBooks, APPs cache using internet, etc.

5. clovis112 macrumors regular

Did you jailbreak your iPad? From what i know, apps thats not from the appstore is stored at "other".

6. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

There's your answer. Plus files and documents you stored in other Apps.

7. albusseverus macrumors 6502a

albusseverus

For anyone who lands here and hasn't jailbroken their iPad, but has a disproportionate Other category…

Restart your iPad. That dropped my Other from 3.6Gb to 0.9GB
    I'd expect it to be lower, but that cleared a bit of space.

Not that I do much on the iPad, but clearly, 'power down once a week' is still a good idea.

8. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

It's anything that isn't one of the other categories. So emails, messages, app data etc.

9. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

there is some good information in here and some misinformation. app data isn't always stored under "other". in fact, in most cases app data is stored within "Apps" on your storage meter in iTunes. it didn't used to be the case, but once developers started integrating iCloud into their apps the developers wrote their apps such that the data gets stored within the app and iTunes counts the data as under apps.

the data stored in "Other" for the most part now in the world of iOS 5/6 and iCloud etc can almost always be "cleaned out" so to speak by closing ALL apps and then turning the iPad off, waiting a minute, then turning it back on. one time i had 5.6GB of Other. closing all apps didn't do anything. following the suggestion on an Apple Support website, i turned the iPad off and then on - which was the first time i did that in 8 months of ownership. it dropped the Other to 1.2GB which is within the normal range (they say 0-3GB).

i hope this information helps

FYI - it has nothing to do with jailbreaking as i had the same issue before and after jailbreaking. what solves the problem is turning the iPad on/off once a month or so

10. RenoG macrumors 65816

Thanks sooo much for this, this is the most valuable information in this thread because it WORKS!!!

11. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Does anyone know if browser history is stored on other. Not that any entry is large but I found very old history on my device which I cleared. Again not sure it is a large amount of data but it can add up over time.

12. emorog macrumors newbie

emorog

2.5 GB Other, still there

Clearing browser data did drop the Other size .05 GB, but closing all apps and restarting did nothing.

13. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

Try deleting old iMessage conversations, any image attachments or video attachments bloat up quickly.

Do You have a lot of email with media attachments synced to your device?

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My iPad showed some 70GB in other and the only way to fix it was to restore.

15. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

I also had a large amount (50GB of "other" on my iPad Air) and had to restore it to delete it :(