Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Hi all,

I'm just syncing my iPad and I noticed that there's 7.15GB of "Other" showing at the bottom of iTunes (on the Summary page).

I know I've got a lot of stuff on it (that's why I went for the 64 gig model!), but I'm curious as to what this "other" is.

I'm sure I've seen similar posts with iPhones, but I'll be damned if I can find any of them.

Anyway, it's a 64 gig 3G model and it was jailbroken using Spir1t if that helps.

All suggestions welcome!

Ta.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Do you have any apps like GoodReader (or another of similar functionality), and if so, have you uploaded any files to that app.

I use GoodReader and Pages and I have about 1.5-2GB of files and documents that I have uploaded to that app and my iPad sees that as 'Other' data.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Do you have any apps like GoodReader (or another of similar functionality), and if so, have you uploaded any files to that app.

I use GoodReader and Pages and I have about 1.5-2GB of files and documents that I have uploaded to that app and my iPad sees that as 'Other' data.

Thanks, but no I don't have Goodreader.

lvyelion

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2008
NL
That's the space used by all APPs other than iBooks, iTunes, Podcast and Movie to store files, like books you uploaded not for iBooks, APPs cache using internet, etc.

clovis112

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Did you jailbreak your iPad? From what i know, apps thats not from the appstore is stored at "other".

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
For anyone who lands here and hasn't jailbroken their iPad, but has a disproportionate Other category…

Restart your iPad. That dropped my Other from 3.6Gb to 0.9GB
I'd expect it to be lower, but that cleared a bit of space.

Not that I do much on the iPad, but clearly, 'power down once a week' is still a good idea.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
there is some good information in here and some misinformation. app data isn't always stored under "other". in fact, in most cases app data is stored within "Apps" on your storage meter in iTunes. it didn't used to be the case, but once developers started integrating iCloud into their apps the developers wrote their apps such that the data gets stored within the app and iTunes counts the data as under apps.

the data stored in "Other" for the most part now in the world of iOS 5/6 and iCloud etc can almost always be "cleaned out" so to speak by closing ALL apps and then turning the iPad off, waiting a minute, then turning it back on. one time i had 5.6GB of Other. closing all apps didn't do anything. following the suggestion on an Apple Support website, i turned the iPad off and then on - which was the first time i did that in 8 months of ownership. it dropped the Other to 1.2GB which is within the normal range (they say 0-3GB).

i hope this information helps

FYI - it has nothing to do with jailbreaking as i had the same issue before and after jailbreaking. what solves the problem is turning the iPad on/off once a month or so

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Does anyone know if browser history is stored on other. Not that any entry is large but I found very old history on my device which I cleared. Again not sure it is a large amount of data but it can add up over time.

emorog

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
2.5 GB Other, still there

Clearing browser data did drop the Other size .05 GB, but closing all apps and restarting did nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.