General 7.1b2 users, warning: InfiniDock 2.1.2-1 causing constant safe mode

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Menneisyys2, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Menneisyys2, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

The recently-released InfiniDock 2.1.2-1 made my 7.1b2 iPad3 be in a constant safe mode, even after uninstalling the tweak.

Needless to say, I'm a legal customer of the tweak and not using a cracked version. Proof: http://www.flickr.com/photos/33448355@N07/11727995334/

I'll try to find out a fix for the problem. (Must be a dependent library - as was the case with tools using Activator.)

2. Menneisyys2 thread starter macrumors 603

As predicted, it was a dependent package: com.chpwn.iconsupport (Icon Support 1.9.0-2)

By simply uninstalling it from Cydia, I've regained a working system. If you're in the same trouble, just look for "Icon Support" and uninstall it. Flickr screenshot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/33448355@N07/11728051523/

3. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Same happened to me.
    I installed InfiniDock (iP5 7.1b2) and when it placed me into safe mode simply uninstalled it. Interestingly, even when doing so it wasn't until I also then removed IconSupport I was back in the game.

Lesson learned: screenshot the dependencies before downloading the tweaks so if later it needs to be removed you can go into packages/expert mode and remove all of it.

(For example, this is important for tweaks like iFile or iCleaner as six or seven various additions are downloaded when the full tweak is yet when the tweak itself is removed only the tweak itself is- leaving all else.)

4. MacTCE macrumors 6502

Can anyone confirm the same issue on 7.0.4? I was going to install this but am hesitating after reading this.

5. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

You are in a beta fw stop complaining and saying "allegedly".
    You want to be on a beta you suffer the pains and tribulations that come w running beta fw and doing a jb on it.

7. Menneisyys2 thread starter macrumors 603

Another post-installation way of doing the same:

1, get the install DEB file (it's in /var/cache/apt/archives/partial until you reboot)
    2, uncompress it with one of the two scripts:

DEB=$(ls *.deb 2>&1)
    mkdir package
    cd ./package
    ar -x ../$DEB

rm debian-binary
    tar xvzf data.tar.gz && rm data.tar.gz
    mkdir DEBIAN && cd DEBIAN
    tar xvzf ../control.tar.gz && rm ../control.tar.gz

or

DEB=$(ls *.deb 2>&1)
    mkdir package
    cd ./package
    ../dpkg-deb-fat -x ../$DEB .

mkdir DEBIAN
    cd DEBIAN
    ../../dpkg-deb-fat -e ../../$DEB .

(The second is much more robust than the first but isn't, by default, available in OS X. In one of my earlier articles on JB app programming, I've explained how dpkg-deb can be installed on OS X - or, how just dpkg-deb-fat can be downloaded.)

3. look in the just-extracted /package/DEBIAN/control and look for the key "Depends", like so:

Depends: mobilesubstrate (>= 0.9.5000) ,preferenceLoader

This means this particular app depends on both mobilesubstrate and preferenceLoader.

BTW, there is a way of completely and quickly removing all dependencies unused by anything else via SSH (or the local terminal if you have it). I've posted a complete tutorial on this at http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18569011&postcount=13

8. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

9. Menneisyys2 thread starter macrumors 603

10. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

Touche :).

Well it has been brought up a number of times because Iconsupport is needed for five icon dock, iconoclasm and a bunch of others. I tweeted chpwn about this and he basically said he can't talk about. That was brought up somewhere else too.

Moral of the story: If you are on 7.1, anything using IconSupport will instantly crash you.

11. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Interesting.. I think I'll still stick to 7.1b2

12. Menneisyys2 thread starter macrumors 603

I'll too. It's so much better than 7.0.x, particularly on 64-bit devices or, WRT 32-bit ones, iPhones.

13. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Aye it's like a whole new device in safari on my air(especially with adblocker) If anyattach works with 7.1b2 when released I'll be good to go, that is if the expiration workaround holds true :p ah, nevermind ifile can pretty much do the same thing, so I'm good to go.

14. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

This has been my experience on iPhone 5 and rMini

15. sand_man macrumors 6502a

sand_man

Wish I had seen this thread earlier. I also purchased infiniboard and the only way I could successfully get out of safe mode was by uninstalling substrate safe mode (Cydia>Manage>packages) which unfortunately removes all installed tweaks too. :eek:

Bytafont V2 is another app not compatible with 7.1b2.

16. Menneisyys2 thread starter macrumors 603

So, it was worth creating this thread, after all - it contains very important info for a lot of people. (I'm referring to some posts suggesting this thread isn't really needed as this info could earlier be found in other threads.)

----------

Yup, I've even posted a lot of direct, programmatic(!!) comparisons between the two OS versions on the iPhone 5:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18522600&postcount=61

(I'll dedicate a full article to the question, with even more log files, later.)

17. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Why is it so much better on the mini?

18. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Safari performance and general fluidity

19. sand_man macrumors 6502a

sand_man

Absolutely!!

As much as I'm enjoying 7.1b2, it comes at a price! The infini trio was a bit of a knock (not so much infinifolder). Add to that Bytafonts (which is one of personal favourites) and I'm now considering downgrading to 7.0.4!! :mad:

20. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Is it faster or what? I have the occasional crash but I can live with that if that's the only difference. I don't want to have the beta expire and have no JB because the trick to disable it fails.

21. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

It's enough of a difference IMO that I am personally taking the risk on my air. I'm certainly sweating about it though.

Faster and much less safari tab refresh syndrome.

22. sand_man macrumors 6502a

sand_man

It is definitely faster but a lot of that advantage can be negated with HiddenSettings7's animation over ride settings.

23. Menneisyys2 thread starter macrumors 603

... but not stability, in which 7.1b2 is definitely much better, except for 32-bit iPads.

24. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Yes speed and fluidity. And no safari crashes compared to 7.0.4

As long as beta 1 passes jan 13 with the expiration hack I think we'll be good to go

25. sand_man macrumors 6502a

sand_man

Personally didn't have any stability issues with 7.0.4 on iPad 4 or 5c and my new air is running 7.1b2.

For me the big difference is smoother animations and apps, in general, seem to render fractionally quicker on 7.1b2.

I believe Safari performs significantly better on 7.1b2. Personally, I seldom put the browser under a significant load so for my needs 7.0.4 is probably ample.