7-25-08 rumors true?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacTraveller, Aug 8, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

so to summarize......

you didnt get the job because you overdressed and thought you were overqualified by having a college degree

haha riiiiiiiiiiiight. im sure that is the reason for not getting hired. nevermind the fact that during the interview, they may have found they didnt think youd be a good fit lol

2. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

3. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

He... right avatar for that question. :D

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Ummm, so why dont you try again? Maybe at a different store?

Whenever you apply for a job, you need to do your research - find out what kind of image they want to project and show up to the interview projecting that image. Imagine if you had shown up to Burger King dressed like that for a job - would you get it?

5. Queso macrumors G4

I thought Apple Retail wanted their staff to be able to show off how Macs are used, not just know the product line. Is your friend an artist, photographer or musician?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If I were hiring someone for such a job, I would wonder why they were not just getting a normal "I have a college education" job instead of hanging out selling iPods.

7. MacTraveller thread starter macrumors regular

Oh no no. That was some years ago. I eventually went to graduate program just months after the Apple attempt, and I now work in the most recession-proof industry in the country.... the medical field. I actually love what I do now, a professional career with a state licensure. My salary now is quite a bit more than what most Apple Retail Store sales managers make.

In a way.... my not-getting-the-job was a blessing in disguise. That's the irony of it all. :D

8. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Well that is several minutes of my life I'm never going to get back. Have you thought it was not so much to do with the suit but the fact you were a little arrogant? Because it comes across that way in your post.

9. thecritix macrumors 6502

still don't understand why your telling us this...

10. MacTraveller thread starter macrumors regular

There were no employees at that time. That store I applied to was in its pre-opening phase. It was hiring the first batch of employees (and maybe floor managers) to work that store to get them ready for the grand opening. It was around late 2001 or early 2002, if I recall. At that time, the closest existing Store was over 55 miles away, in Los Angeles (Glendale I think).

I certainly learned some lessons from this...

11. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Well, your certainly not Catholic enough understand the Catholic concept of prayer...

12. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

When I was a manager for borders we used to wonder that too. If we had someone with a grad degree, or who had held several professional positions and suddenly wanted a full time bookseller job, we'd try to find out why. Chances were if they were looking to make money while hunting for a more permanent position we wouldn't take them full time (unless we were desperate).

Also, knowing a product and being able to sell a product are two very different things. I had quite a few employees who knew whole genres backwards and forwards, but who couldn't have a non-stunted conversation with a customer. Apple most likely is looking for people who can sell macs, not just use them. It means relating to college kids, grandmas, parents, window shoppers and everyone in between. It's not a matter of being able to reel off every model since 1983, it's a matter of making any customer who walks in WANT every model since 1983.

13. Tosser macrumors 68030

Wait. So years after you were rejected for a job in some shop, years of further education and onto a more "proper" job, you decided to come here and post your "experience" with being rejected (and here I might add, arrogantly so) at a sales-job at Apple?

One has to wonder which part of your story is true which is not, or whether you simply cannot let go of the past – I mean, to go to the trouble of making a profile here, simply to post that – and to do it years after (apparently) says a lot. I'm just not sure which way I should make the stories swing.

14. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Well you can be overqualified. If you just graduated with a Science BS then you'd be high risk as you can get a higher paid job in your field. If you REALLY want an Apple gig you might have to lie about your college just a tad, maybe saying you dropped out and felt that retail was more your thing and that you love talking to customers.

When you work in retail, people skills are the most important qualification.

15. Abraxsis macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

I have to admit that the OP's story is very true, but not for the reasons he thinks. I, too, have been turned down for a job when I knew for a fact that I was the most qualified person applying for the job. I, too, have been turned down for several positions because I was overqualified. Different people, hire in different manners, regardless of whether there is a "hiring guide" or not. If you don't impress them, or they think you're a threat to them ... kind of like someone boasting of a BS and dressed in an "Italian-style" suit. Barring this being the cause of you not getting the job, it just goes with the territory of being educated. Welcome to life.

16. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Qualified doesn't necessarily mean good, or best for the job. Example: My father in law took a course over a semester and is an A+ certified hardware technician. He also took a host of other things too that I don't know what they are. I on the other hand have not taken any hardware or software courses through a college or university. He has built a few computers from the ground up and none of them have ever worked without a lot of stress and tears. I have built (and sold) many computers from the ground up and never had a problem with them (aside from the occasional hardware issue down the line)

The point is, on paper my father in law is way more qualified to build computers then I am. However I wouldn't give him a stick of RAM in a million years to install on any computer.

I don't know if this scenario is true for you, but I am simply saying qualifications do not mean experience. Experience is the main thing employers look for.

17. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I think I will certainly get a job, I am obsessed with Apple, I'm not really professional and qualified, and I bash Windoze and Micro$oft all time time, I might even point them to my YouTube channel, where all my parodies are made on a Mac! :D

Plus, I convinced my mum to get a £1,500 iMac!!! Convincing my mum to do anything is not easy to do! So I think I done well on that one!

In 4 years when I am 18, I shall do just that!

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

That's way before Apple Retail had created its causal reputation, so now it doesn't seem quite as crazy to arrive well-dressed. :eek:

LOL. True. Where I worked at, most of the folks had full-time first jobs and their Apple gig was just something PT they did for fun, the discount, and some extra moola.

19. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I think comming in wearing a Apple t-shirt, especially a old good condition one, would be better, it would show your true enthusiasm for Apple, plus I would have my iPhone go off on purpose so I can take it out and they can see I have one, and also I will wear a iPod nano around my neck! :D

20. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Here's some 'public' info on apple employment chances:

At the opening of the Palo Alto (Calif.) Apple store, vice-president of retail Ron Johnson joked that it is literally harder to become an Apple store employee than to get into Stanford (his alma mater). Indeed, during a Nov. 2003 financial briefing he said Apple hired 978 store employees during 2002 from an applicant pool of 16,438--less than a 6% chance of being hired! He also noted that the employee turn-over rate was very steady, and among the lowest in the retail industry (which ranges from 40% to 80% a year). This hiring percentage has stayed steady even through the retail operation's fourth year. [In Sept. 2006 Johnson said the turn-over rate was just 20% at the Apple stores.)

info from here.. Go down to The Employees section for more reading...

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I was turned down for several jobs I was qualified for. My interviews went well and 3 of the companies even flew me out to their HQ for second interviews before turning me down. And the company I did get a job with? I think it had to be one of the worst interviews I had. I was tired and unprepared and walked out of it thinking "I screwed that up, I won't be getting that job" only to get a call from the hiring manager a few days later to let me know I was in. Companies work in weird ways.

22. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

You know, rather than just speculating on an internet forum, after you fail a job interview if you phone the company up they will tell you why!

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Not always. In the US it's common for companies to refuse to tell you what you did wrong.