7+ 2x zoom is digital?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oclor, Sep 25, 2016.

1. oclor macrumors regular

I picked up a rose gold 7+ for my wife and a black for myself. On both, I noticed that when I cover the 56mm lens with my finger and go to 2x I still get an image. And when I cover the 28mm lens with my finger both 1x and 2x are blocked. This leads me to believe only the 28mm lens is in use and all zoom is happening digitally. What's going on here???

2. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    I don't believe its digital IIRC. Hence why they have two lenses there.
    I may be wrong. We can both wait until someone else chimes in. Interesting question.

3. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

4. oclor thread starter macrumors regular

I know it's not supposed to be digital, but I feel like there maybe a software glitch that is not activating the 56mm lens

5. rcckks96 macrumors member

This is well known. Try it outside.

Or try Lightroom app - you can manually pick which lens to use (but if you try the 2x lens indoors you'll see why the phone picks the 1x lens if there's not enough light).

6. oclor thread starter macrumors regular

Wow I feel like a read a ton of reviews on this phone and not one mentioned this. I guess that makes sense with the larger aperture on the 28mm, but very disappointing nonetheless

7. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

The 56mm lens is f/2.8 while the wide-angle lens is f/1.8. The wide angle lens is more ideal for low-light situations, so digital zoom is used since it's more ideal for the situation.

Using the 56mm lens would result in a very dark image. Or it would be blurry or noisy. You could alternatively use a 3rd party app for manual control of this.

8. LRXSE7EN macrumors member

I noticed something similar. I was at best buy and switching lens I was actually able to cover up the 56mm lens and I couldn't see anything but for some reason if I leave that open and only cover the 28mm lens it covers up like 75% of the screen, I thought it only uses one at a time, not both? I'm confused