7/7 iCloud Wipe - Photo Concern

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by nheilweil, Jul 4, 2014.

1. nheilweil macrumors 6502a

nheilweil

"Photos and videos stored in iCloud Photo Library will remain on their original iOS 8 devices and will upload to iCloud Photo Library again automatically."

I'm a little concerned with this approach. Since I'm currently using iCloud Photo Library, my iPhone no longer has a full-resolution version of all photos. That's one of the advantages of using iCPL -- it saves a tremendous amount of local device storage by only saving a thumbnail and low-res version of the image for everything except recent photos (less than a couple days old).

So, if they wipe out the iCloud version and expect my device to transfer the full-size images up again, we're going to have a problem. Anyone have any theories?

2. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Don't use a beta if you're not expecting any data loss

3. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

Don't assume anything to happen.

There is probably a great chance that the wipe will nuke your iPhone and everything on it. Who knows. That's why this crap is beta. Apple is under absolutely no obligation to ensure your data survives.

I will never understand why people feel the need to not only run untested development code, but trust that such a setup won't eat your data.

TLDR; you get whatever you deserve for ignoring all of Apple's warnings. End of thread.

-SC

4. NotAdvisable macrumors regular

NotAdvisable

To the two posters above, some of us developers can't afford a second device solely for testing and betas; I'm a student and there is no way I could have two iPhones.

The OP and many other devs are really concerned regarding data, and as such the question is valid.
    I, myself am very very worried regarding my photos.

5. matttye macrumors 601

Sorry but the advice remains the same: if you're worried about data loss, don't use beta software.

If you can't afford a second device then you have two choices: -

1. Don't develop;
    2. Use beta software and risk data loss.

You chose the 2nd option. You've put yourself in a situation that you should have known could happen from the beginning, especially as a developer. No developer, no matter how big or small, makes any sort of promises about beta software. If Apple needs to do a data wipe on iCloud then that's what they're going to do, and indeed what they should do if that means that the final software is going to benefit.

Your data loss is neither here nor there to Apple, because everyone that uses beta software should be anticipating such things to happen and should have procedures in place to deal with it; e.g. a second device.

6. NotAdvisable macrumors regular

NotAdvisable

Wow... way to support the next generation of developers and designers.

My mistake for not having hundreds of thousands in venture capital of which I can use to purchase sole-use test devices.

--

I'm not here saying that I haven't accepted the risk, of course using beta software I along side most other dev's understand data loss, bugs and extra nasties would be present.
    What I'm trying to point out here is how Apple have quickly made this decision leaving us a short window to consolidate and backup data...
    ... and also, the OP is simply asking how best to do this - as so am I. If you didn't have the answer in the first place, why reply?

7. matttye macrumors 601

The next generation of developers and designers should know what to expect with beta software. I've done a bit of hobbyist scripting/programming but never anything serious, and I know the score with beta software. Professional developers definitely should.

It doesn't cost hundreds of thousands to buy one extra device - one for testing and one for day to day use. Your testing device is the one you run beta software on, knowing full well you could lose everything at any time. Your day to day one is the one with the data you care about on it.

Apple can't be worrying about data loss. They really didn't even have to give any warning at all, but they did so. You expect them to slow down the development cycle so that people who are irresponsibly using beta software can sort out their data? Not going to happen.

I'm just pointing out that these sorts of threads shouldn't be here in the first place. Either get yourself a second device or suck it up. Problems will occur. There will be more after this. If you resolve this problem now, there might be another risk to your data in a few weeks time. You need a permanent solution, not one to just this current problem.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

An iPod Touch from refurb store is $149.

1st lesson for real world. Stop being melodramatic, you don't gain sympathy from anyone, merely make yourself look like a baby.

They didn't make the decision quickly. They notified of dataloss since DP1. Just not the specific dates.

9. NotAdvisable macrumors regular

NotAdvisable

... and I'm just pointing out that the original poster asked for some help, and all you've replied about is how irresponsible he/she is.

--

I'm not looking for sympathy nor am I attempting to be melodramatic.
    As a student attending university the little amount of money that I do earn goes to food, petrol, bills, rent etc.
    Just because I can't afford a second device, but I want to develop my applications for the next release of iOS through my uni units... doesn't make me a "baby".

The "you should have a second device" solution isn't fit one, fit all.

10. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

You have 2 days to load them onto another device or storage cloud - perhaps using Dropbox or similar. If your pictures are precious they really should be in more than one place anyway.

11. matttye macrumors 601

Sometimes giving advice is not just about answering the specific question asked, but about educating on wider issues as well.

The fact is that even if there is a way around this issue, more issues may crop up in the future. You should not run beta software on a device which contains data you're not willing to lose.

My advice would be to look for a way to rollback to iOS 7 and don't bother installing iOS 8 on your primary device until it's stable.

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

When I had to develop ASM on 80xx microcontrollers, or VHDL on Xilinks. If the development kit hardware was a mere $150 10yrs ago AND had other potential fun uses. I would have been a spoiled kid.

You're whining about things that have always been.

13. KrisLord macrumors 65816

Connect your phone to your Mac and run iPhoto or Image Capture. The images seem to all be full resolution and you can save them to your Mac.

If your Mac fails to show your iPhone as a connected device, a restart may help.

14. solace macrumors regular

Currently photos stored on the device in iOS b2 *are* stored in high res even if you have iCloud photos enabled. Don't believe me? Manually sync your photos to your computer using Image capture and see for yourself.

It seems they haven't enabled the low res option if you have iCloud photos enabled yet, guessing that starts in B3.

----------

Jinx lol

15. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but no.

I'm a full time iOS developer now. I make a living off this stuff. I never ran betas for the first 3 years of my career and only ever bothered to upgrade after things went retail.

Apples backwards compatibility is good enough for one version back (at least) that you do not need to run betas of any kind to be a successful developer, so your point is completely moot. You are running a beta because you want to, not because you need to. You therefore have assumed any and all risks in doing so.

Once again, there is nothing stopping you from making good apps for iOS 7 right now. If you are hedging your bets on unreleased features that may or may not be released in the final version, you're doing it wrong.

-SC

16. NotAdvisable macrumors regular

NotAdvisable

Maybe I'd like to incorporate features/items that are only included with iOS 8's SDK?
    Maybe I'd like to ensure that my applications are 100% bug free and ready for iOS 8's launch later this year?

As a so called "full time iOS developer", why would you bet that "Apples backwards compatibility is good enough for one version back (at least)" when indeed many applications face minor to major issues when run in iOS 8?
    Hedging my bets on "unreleased features" such as CloudKit and Swift (which are obviously going to be in the final version) is called planning ahead.

17. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Apple themselves say don't use your normal phone for beta software. If you really need to develop, you'll find a way to afford another phone to develop on.

18. matttye macrumors 601

You can't have it all ways. You can't run beta software and expect everything to work properly and your data to be safe. If you absolutely must run beta software then you need to put up with the risks. One way of doing this is to have a different device for development.

Your other option is, of course, to either not develop or wait until iOS 8 is released to the public before developing for it.

You can't have everything your own way.

19. nheilweil thread starter macrumors 6502a

nheilweil

My concern isn't data loss -- my photos are backed up to Dropbox and while this is both my working dev device for imaging apps and also my personal device (don't have 2 phones), I get that it's beta and subject to anything and everything including data loss. Duh...the "you should know better" attitude doesn't help anyone learn anything. I'm just trying to have a dialog around the mechanics of iCloud.

My point was that Apple's email has a "don't worry about it" tone with regard to photos indicating that while the iCPL will be wiped, your device will just re sync and push up the images again. I'm wondering if my device can push up full-res images if they aren't on my phone.

Re: the comment that the low-res feature isn't implemented yet in Beta 2, it definitely is. I'm getting a 10:1 space savings on my phone. If I go back to an image that's more than a couple days old and edit that photo, my phone has to pull it from iCPL first.

Well, it will be interesting to see what happens.

20. Xenc, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014

Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

If you are concerned about data loss, back up the high resolution versions onto your computer or turn off iCloud Photos.

As I am not testing against iCloud Photos I left it disabled.

21. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

All you people posting "it's your fault" "read the developer policy" "don't develop" blah blah blah, you're doing nothing to positively contribute to this post or answer the OP question.

22. kerrikins macrumors 65816

Yup, reading through this thread I am just thinking that there's a whole lot of negative crap here that is off topic and does nothing to answer the OP's question.

23. matttye macrumors 601

It is a positive contribution because it addresses the underlying cause of the OP's issue - storing important data on beta software.

24. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

It doesn't answer his specific question.

25. matttye macrumors 601

I refer you to post #11.