Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I have always thought very highly of the iPhone camera and it has been 4-5 years since I have even held an android phone. I've read that Samsung has raised the bar, but I need to know what others think of this.

IMG_0026.JPG

Above is a pic taken a half hour ago using my iPhone 7 with flash in about complete darkness. The person attempted several takes, focusing the image, and letting flash do it's thing. All lenses were clean, free and clear. This was the best of the group.

IMG_0027.JPG

This photo was taken seconds later, from the same distance, using one of their Galaxy S7 Edge phones. Seriously, is the difference really that far apart at this point? I felt like I was using a phone that came out several years ago vs several weeks. Regardless if people think colors look over saturated, blown out, etc....the brightness difference is quite telling.

My question, for those of you putting your cameras through the gamut at night, using low light and flash situations, are you getting similar results to me? Sure, in great lighting, the 7 and 7 Plus I have had performed great. But this example above has me concerned.

trssho

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Did you have a case on the iPhone? Sometimes that diffuses the flash. The iPhone pic is off for sure

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Did you have a case on the iPhone? Sometimes that diffuses the flash. The iPhone pic is off for sure
No, no case. And I wiped off the lens and the flash just prior to make sure there were no smudge marks over either. I am fearful this is standard fair for the new cameras.

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
No, no case. And I wiped off the lens and the flash just prior to make sure there were no smudge marks over either. I am fearful this is standard fair for the new cameras.
The 7+ might do better since it has a better camera for those low light situations.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
The 7+ might do better since it has a better camera for those low light situations.
I was wondering about that, but I was under the impression that the telephoto lens shuts down during low light situations, hence leaving it and the 7 on equal grounds, both using the wide angle lens. This appears to be a flash power situation. Flash was used in both photos as opposed to just a few low-light non-flash photos that many test shots try to show.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Wow. I hate to say it, but the S7 knocked it out of the park. I also have the iPhone 7 and have yet to test it in low light. The iPhone 7 pictures looks so faded and the S7 looks Rich and dynamic. Great comparison by the way.

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Did anyone zoom in on the photos?

I prefer the iPhone one. If you wanted to grab more light, there are alternatives (like portable LED lights or, you can use flash).

But look at the details.

You can zoom in and on the second photo it is very muddy. The iPhone's is more crisp and clear.

If I saturate and play around with iPhones version I'm sure I can get it to look like Samsung's...can't say the same for Samsung to Apple.

Attachments

• Enlight1.jpg
    Enlight1.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 116
  • Enlight1.jpg
    Enlight1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 147

born2runak

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2012
Did anyone zoom in on the photos?

I prefer the iPhone one. If you wanted to grab more light, there are alternatives (like portable LED lights or, you can use flash).

But look at the details.

You can zoom in and on the second photo it is very muddy. The iPhone's is more crisp and clear.

If I saturate and play around with iPhones version I'm sure I can get it to look like Samsung's...can't say the same for Samsung to Apple.
I was gonna say the same thing, initial thoughts is that the S7 looked better, but closer inspection shows that the iPhone took a clearer picture IMO.

trssho

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
So yes it can be edited, but suprising it didn't come out better "out of the box".

This is the iPhone image.

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
Reactions: The.Glorious.Son
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.