7.85" iPad as a phone.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iFanaddic, Oct 22, 2012.

?

Would you consider an iPad Mini as a phone/sms replacement.

1. Of course I would.

31.7%
  2. I would have to think about it

19.5%
  3. Not in a hundred years.

48.8%
  4. Yes but I would keep my iPhone.

14.6%
  1. iFanaddic, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

I understand that there was no market for a 9.7" phone. But now that an iPad mini (supposedly 7.85") is in the works would you consider it. It is my understanding that the current iPads are only limited by firmware, now wouldn't that be easy to change? On a jailbroken iPad that is..

Personally, I think that equipped with a nice bluetooth it would be a good money saving combination. The only downside I see with this is that there is no vibration motor in a iPad so one would have to rely solely on sound for alerts and such.

2. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

the iphone is more convenient as a phone and social texting device

even compared to 7.85"

poll should be

no yes idontknow

don't manipulate the poll

3. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

For my mobile needs, I want one big-screened device to act as my tablet and phone and I want it to fit in my pocket.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't consider a tablet a replacement for a phone.

5. blackbelter macrumors member

NOT

GONNA

HAPPEN

unless Tim Cook is stupid enough, which is unlikely.

Apple has committed its efforts in differentiating iPads from iPhone, which is wise. Neither of the two can replace the other, so that your wallet needs to spit amap if you want the best of both worlds. iPad mini is simultaneously a phone? That contradicts what apple has been doing, and vaporize their efforts.

So don't even think about it.

6. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Did you even read the post. Never. Ever. Did I mention something about Apple making a move towards this setup. It is not in their best interest. The iPad is not that different from an iPhone.

----------

Useless.

7. blackbelter macrumors member

My bad. Apologies.

But I still think that the attempt to use iPad, be it mini or maxi, is nothing other than looking for trouble.

8. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

No problem.

However bumpy the road is to get there, in the long run, great savings could be made. Savings that are worth the effort in my opinion.

9. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Except in form factor...

iPads would be great for texting and are fine for video-calling. But for actually placing calls, a handheld form is more ergonomic. You wouldn't be able to use an iPad like a traditional phone, because you cannot hold an iPad, as it is, with one hand. I doubt you would be able to hold a theoretical iPad Mini with one hand, either. That's the reason Apple made the iPhone 5 taller, not wider. The only way around that would be to use the iPad with a headset.

10. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Using a headset with an iPhone or using it with an iPad not much difference..

11. jojoba macrumors 68000

My husband has a 7" Samsung tablet which phone capacity and I quite like the fact that it's possible to make a phone call from it. I wouldn't consider it a phone replacement, though.

12. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

But the headset isn't actually part of the iPad itself, and phones have the parts inside anyways. It would be the best way to phone with an iPad, but it's still an extra thing to carry around and possibly misplace.

What if you forget it at home? Now you're stuck trying to phone with a gigantic slab against your face. A phone isn't nearly as awkard ;)

13. blackbelter macrumors member

IMO the problem with smart phones is the contradiction between its broad task range and small battery capacity. Yes, you can do so many things on it. But you might run out of battery before you know it, in which case you will not be able to make a phone call. Usually this is not such big a deal. But in worst case scenario, this could have consequences.

Right now I am using an ancient Nokia phone, whose battery lasts me for ~a week, in combination with an iPad 2 for everything else. Couldn't be happier with them.

On the other hand, it is a good idea to have a backup phone. iPad+skype serves this purpose very well, with no need to jailbreak whatsoever.

14. iFanaddic, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Its amusing to think that when Apple first is the iPhone in 2007 We were all amazed that this device could replace an mp3 player, a personal camera, and a cellphone. Now almost 6 years later, I am asked by the same company to carry two different devices one to call people and one to comfortably to read digital books and magazine.

15. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Being hard of hearing, I've never had much use for cell phones anyway. Currently I do have an iPhone, but I need to use a headphone in order to have any intelligible conversation. So a tablet that also acts as a phone is really a no-brainer for me. I do like having a pocketable device to listen to my music, though, so perhaps an iPad mini with phone capability + an iPod nano might work for me.

17. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

If the new ipad mini started ringing and I saw someone pick it up and take a call on it I think I would die laughing.

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

Any 3G or 4G iPad can be used as a phone with the appropriate app, so it's always an option in an emergency.

19. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

No. It's much more convenient to carry around a smaller phone for doing phone tasks. Having an all-in-one ~8 inch device would be cumbersome to tote around everywhere you go even with a bluetooth headset. Some may find that beneficial but, seriously, does one need to be that connected at all times? The Galaxy Note 2 is large by everyones standards and most people can't even fathom the thought of carrying that thing around. Something that's bigger then that would be way overkill. Something like this, I would think, would only attract the die hard tech geeks or uberswagish folk.

20. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Maybe one day we'll have touchscreens that fold up and can be placed into your pocket. Until then, I don't see anyone carrying around a 7.85 inch screen to use as a phone. It's just not convenient.

22. JS1963 macrumors newbie

ergonomic for some, not all

Sure, holding something small in your hand is, well, handy. But if you can't read what's on the screen it's useless. And before you tell me to get eyeglasses, I already have them: one for distance, one for up close, and one which is supposed to correct for both problems but which just makes everything blurry and gives me a headache. I NEED a bigger screen. At some point, over at Apple HQ "ergonomic" is going to address advancing age and diminishing vision. In the mean time, I guess I have to go over to Android and get my Galaxy Note 2. Too bad. I want to stay in the Apple world. And middle age sucks.

----------

Obviously you can't fathom what it's like to not be able to see well. For some people, indeed just about everyone over 50, seeing stuff on a tiny screen is not easy even if it's possible. An 8 inch device would be dandy. Hell, my old Princess A-line land-line phone was about 8 inches long and 3 inches thick. The mini Ipad is still a lot smaller and lighter than that ever was! So, when you think about technology capacities, why not think about the diversity of users' capacities, and give people a choice so that they can meet their individual needs. This is a Section 508 issue.

23. davelang68 macrumors newbie

It makes so much sense I don't understand why they don't do it.

I almost never talk on the phone but I can't live without one. And I need a laptop.

So that leaves the iPad out in the cold even though there are some great music apps that I'd like to use that aren't available on anything else.

I am not going to have 3 devices. That would be crazy.

I think in a couple years Apple, especially now that Steve Jobs is gone, is gonna be forced into enabling this function by their competitors. Thankfully.

I wish I didn't have to wait.