Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polythene pam

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
Florida
And not because of some crazy step-parent who punched the crap out of it!!!

My display all of a sudden became different, it now looks like an Andy Warhol painting!!! Or like the "solarize" mode on a digital camera!!! How sad!

I tried rebooting a couple of times and nothing. Thankfully I live near an Apple store, where the Genius Bar man proclaimed it DOA. He said it was a hardware failure, and said they could send it in to be fixed.

But I don't want a refurbished computer! I paid for a new, fully functional laptop. So they are going to send me a replacement.

Poor iBook, I loved it so much already.... it was so young....

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
To your iBook, my deepest condolences.
rip.gif

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
that sux man. I feel your pain, I had mucho problems with an old iBook that was in the shop all the time. At least you are getting a new one, so there is at least that. ;)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Yes, not to worry Apple will send you a brand new iBook. Then you can fall in love all over again. ;)

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
u should have just exchanged out for a new one right there in the store...so you wouldn't have to wait

mpopkin

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
they cant give u a refurb when they dont have any yet, this is a brand new model, so there would be no refurbs yet, only replacements, they will probably send you a new ibook without a box, just the laptop
good luck

polythene pam said:
And not because of some crazy step-parent who punched the crap out of it!!!

My display all of a sudden became different, it now looks like an Andy Warhol painting!!! Or like the "solarize" mode on a digital camera!!! How sad!

I tried rebooting a couple of times and nothing. Thankfully I live near an Apple store, where the Genius Bar man proclaimed it DOA. He said it was a hardware failure, and said they could send it in to be fixed.

But I don't want a refurbished computer! I paid for a new, fully functional laptop. So they are going to send me a replacement.

Poor iBook, I loved it so much already.... it was so young....

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
Question for polythene pam: Was your iBook BTO? If so doesn't Apple have a policy against customers replacing BTO products and only offer to repair them instead?

polythene pam

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
Florida
Yes, it was a BTO (80 GB instead of the measly 40 GB), and that's why they couldn't give me a new one right then and there at the Apple Store.

I was not aware of them not replacing defective BTO's, and only repairing them. The Apple people I spoke to over the phone did not even mention that. They just said they would send me a FedEx packing slip via email, and that they would ship me a new one. He even emphasized that the new computer would be exactly the same as my current one.

It's only fair that they send me a new one. I mean, I spent all that money for a new computer exactly because I expect it to be reliable and repair-free at least for a little while! But having it break after a week, and without me doing anything on it other than use the internet, boy, that was heartbreaking!

tikibangout

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think I may know what you did wrong. In System Prefences, open Universal Access, it should be the last icon. Where it says Enhance Contrast under the big words "Display", make sure its set to normal. For some reason when opening Universal Access for the first time, it automatically sets it to maximum, thats what happened to me. Set to maximum, it looks like what you described. I'm guessing your's is set to maximum. Let me know.

polythene pam

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
Florida
Oh my Gooooooosh! You were right! my baby is back to normal!!!! wow!!!
And now that I think about it, I was playing around with the System Preferences when this happened!!! Whooooo hoooooo!!!! It's fixed!!! :))))

Now comes the question: why the hell didn't the "genius" from the Apple Store Genius Bar know this???? Why did he tell me it was a hardware problem?

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
polythene pam said:
Now comes the question: why the hell didn't the "genius" from the Apple Store Genius Bar know this???? Why did he tell me it was a hardware problem?

logic board problems often look the same way... goofy screen colors, etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.