7 dead in stabbing attack - execution coming soon

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by madoka, Jun 8, 2008.

1. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

TOKYO - A man who police said "was tired of life" drove into a crowd of pedestrians Sunday and then went on a stabbing rampage in Tokyo's top electronics and video game district, killing seven people and wounding 10, authorities said.

The deadly lunchtime assault paralyzed the Akihabara neighborhood, which is wildly popular among the country's youth. The killings were the latest in a series of grisly knife attacks that have stoked fears of rising crime in Japan.

A 25-year-old man, Tomohiro Kato, was apprehended in the attack, authorities said.

"The suspect told police that he came to Akihabara to kill people," said Jiro Akaogi, a spokesman for the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department. "He said he was tired of life. He said he was sick of everything."

News reports said the man crashed a rented, two-ton truck into pedestrians, then jumped out of the truck and began stabbing the people he'd knocked down before turning on horrified onlookers.

The attacker grunted and roared as he slashed and stabbed at his victims on a street crowded with Sunday shoppers, reports said.

"He was screaming as he was stabbing people at random," a witness told NHK.

A witness told NHK the suspect dropped the knife after police threatened to shoot him. An amateur video filmed by a mobile phone showed policemen overpowering the bespectacled suspect.

Police confirmed seven deaths — six men and one woman — but they could not say whether the victims died from injuries from the truck or were stabbed to death.

At least 17 ambulances rushed to the scene, with TV footage showing rescue workers tending to victims in the street.

Another amateur video taken five minutes after the rampage showed shoppers helping the victims and a man screaming, "Ambulance, Ambulance!" according to NHK.

Akihabara district, known as Electric Town, is wildly popular with Japan's cyber-wise youth.

Once rare, stabbing attacks have become more frequent in Japan in recent years as violent crime has increased.

In March, one person was stabbed to death and at least seven others were hurt by a man who went on a slashing spree with two knives outside a shopping mall in eastern Japan.

In one of the worst attacks, a man with a history of mental illness burst into an elementary school in Japan in 2001 and killed eight children. The killer was executed in 2004.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080608/ap_on_re_as/japan_stabbing

2. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

I really feel for the victims of this. I think this kind of mass killing raises questions about the indentification of and support for people with mental health issues here in Japan. It's really a subject that doesn't get paid much attention and it's too bad. I often hear of shut-ins and questionably odd people here who get no help, and have no avenue for support. But that's the culture, I suppose.

Don't know about an imminent execution, these things can take years here.

3. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

I'll give it 20 seconds before grand theft auto and other games are blamed.

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Holy ****, this is quite scary since I was in that exact area not so very long ago. :eek:

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

6. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Yeah. What's his beef?

I mean, if anyone was going to understand him, it would be the tech nerds; the people who were shunned from society for liking gadgets more than humans.

7. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I got an email from my father, who was going to go over there to shop for cool Japan-only tech stuff at lunchtime.

Thank God his meeting ran late.... that's just so creepy. :(

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Nah... there were no prostitutes involved...

But on a serious not, this is down right shocking and scary......

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I believe Japan has a kind of public holiday when new Dragon Quest games are released, it's not like the UK or US where they're vilified so I can't imagine the blame being placed on them.
    Still it's a terrible story :(

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think that sets a wonderful example to the rest of the world, particularly to the US.
    Surely, if real dragons were to attack American homes and people, the government would want people to pick up their swords and other weapons and defend the country. Don't discourage it. The US needs a few more Star Wars Kids.

11. shaunomacx macrumors member

shaunomacx

I believe that because Dragon Quest and NDS in general are so popular that they give public holidays to stop people taking sick days at work and if you imagine how many people would do that to get a DQ game, Tokyo and Japan would stop completely....nearly! Brian Ashcraft of Kotaku writes about this sort of thing quite often :)

12. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

This is seriously disturbing news... but I think, more than anything, it's as plasticparadox said - it raises serious concern about the state of mental health care in Japan. Having lived in both the US and Japan, I can confidently say that the level of awareness, both among the public and doctors, is lagging behind that of the US by at least 20 years. People like this are sick. Yes, they might deserve to be put in prison, but they also need help. If anything, I hope that this serves as a wake-up call to the Japanese on what needs to be done to put a stop to these incidents.

irmongoose

13. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

My dad and I found this out literally seconds after we decided to go to akihabara that day. Good thing we didn't. This is seriously scary.

My parents say they are always worried about crazies on trains and stuff. Im kinda glad it was not やくざ like everybody said.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What a loser. ;)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article4094961.ece

15. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

So..... been on any good forums lately?

I know I haven't.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

17. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

There should be some sort of knife control in Japan. All knives are to be registered through the government and you can only carry around butter knives.

18. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Knives don't kill people, people kill people ;)

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Plastic butter knives. ;) That way, it'll be like the UK!

20. madoka thread starter macrumors 6502

madoka

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

it's not just that; it's that this violence occurred in one very random episode. It would be big news if a maniac stabbed 7 people to death on the street in LA, too.

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It said in that article that L.A. County's homicide rate so far this year, this past weekend excluded, is 2-3 per day. Plus, most of the homicides this past weekend were gang-related and in high-crime areas, where it's almost expected. Gang violence in L.A. is nothing new.

23. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

24. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

If only Japan allowed its citizens to carry tactical thermo-nuclear devices, someone could have averted this tragedy. Damn interfering government!