7+ Home button doesn't work in waterproof dry bag case

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by riseboi, Sep 18, 2016.

1. riseboi macrumors member

I supposed I shouldn't be surprised with the change to the home button, but it caught me off guard this morning when I went paddleboarding. Fortunately, I had on my Garmin Fenix so I was still able to control Spotify and see my text/email notifications. But, I still would like to pull my phone out during breaks so I can respond to texts/email as necessary without taking the phone out of the case. So my questions are:

1: Is the voice dictation function on the apple watch good? I like my fenix, but if I can respond to texts/emails with the applewatch, I might decide to pick one up.

2: Is there a case or brand that makes cases that allow for a lanyard to be attached to the case? The increased water resistance is nice, but the main reason I use my drybag case is because I can attach the lanyard to my waist PFD. Chances are, one slip out of my hand while on the water, and I'll never find it again.

EDIT: I should note, swiping and typing all still work, it's just that the lack of being able to use the home button make it more difficult to navigate to whatever app I want to use.

Thanks for any help

2. Sunoo macrumors newbie

The best I've been able to come up with to use the iPhone 7 in a dry bag is to enable Assistive Touch. If you set the number of icons in the top level menu to 1 and set that to be "Home", it will give you an on screen button that activates the home button. In my experience, that works as expected in the dry bag, as long as you wake the phone with the power button or raise to wake.

I would much prefer to find something that I can put the phone in that allows the home button to function normally though, but I haven't had any luck yet.

3. Gr81MB macrumors 6502

Gr81MB

Has to be touching your skin won't work otherwise even if you touch it with your t shirt or shirt

4. Sunoo macrumors newbie

Based on my limited testing, it does work through certain materials, plastic shopping bags for example do not prevent the home button from working (obviously TouchID doesn't work in that case though).

If it can work through a plastic bag, it seems a thin enough plastic in a dry bag would allow it to work as well.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I've had the Watch two weeks and I personally feel dictation seems better through the Watch than the phone. I haven't tried responding to an email but I respond to plenty of texts and google hangouts messages daily and it is almost always spot on, even in Hungarian. It's really reduced the amount of time I spend using the phone, which I guess is a plus. :)

6. Laurabeth macrumors newbie

Laurabeth

Can you give more detailed instructions on how to do this?

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I use the Anker iP68 "waterproof" bag and have zero issues using the home button. Touch ID doesn't work as expected, but I can click the button without any issue.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I use a disposable ziplock bag and it even reads my fingerprint. Use these ziplock to protect the 7+ when off shore or on the jetski.

Ziplock bags are cheap and disposable. VERY water tight.

9. Sunoo macrumors newbie

There are a bunch of company's offering iPhone 7-compatible dry bags on Amazon now. I haven't tried any of them yet though.

10. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Use the assistive touch feature in accessibility settings. It brings up a soft home button to use while in the dry bag.

Do NOT rely on ziplock bags for serious water intensive activities. Don't even trust your dry bag for submersion.