7 inch iPad, Still a possibility

Discussion in 'iPad' started by IKBest, Feb 24, 2012.

1. IKBest macrumors member

I'm sure apple could squeeze the current resolution of the ipad onto a 7 inch screen. Retina display? But I still dont think a 7 inch ipad is likely.

2. Apple Key macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

Anything is possible. I have no prediction as to when, but I do think they will come out with one. It is the same strategy that they used with the iPod. Create a good product. Make it great with refinements and as cost can come down a bit and improvements in technology. Release various sizes and types to fit everyone's needs.

3. WLS macrumors 65816

No, no 7 inch iPad.
    There will be a 5 inch iphone and iPod by Fall to fill in that niche.
    Seriously, if Apple is bringing out 5 inch devices why would they also bring out a 7 inch.
    I don't think they would.

4. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

the only way i could see apple creating a smaller iPad is if the resolution matched the current iPad 2.

5. VinceDae macrumors regular

Apple are NOT going to make a 5" iPhone (not anytime soon) ... MAYBE we'll see a 4" or as I think a 3,7" - Most iPhone/Apple buyers, buy primary for looks and a 5" phone will NEVER be a good looking phone :p

- Nor are they going to make a 7" iPad (anytime soon) - If anything they could be making a new addition in a year or so, maybe call it "iPod Touch Pro" or "iPad Reader" for those who want a "in between" tablet-thingy...

Well, thats what I think, but as we all know, all our "knowledge" is just guesses! :D

6. maclook macrumors 65816

7" iPad with current iPad resolution
    4" iPhone - I think .5" is a big enough difference for a phone. No need to jump all the way to 5". I believe the 4" can use the same resolution and still be considered a Retina Display.

Many people buy Android phones because they think the iPhone is too small and many people buy Kindle Fires because the iPad is too big so there is a market for both products.

I think the 7" iPad is over a year away but the iPhone, going into it's 6th generation, should be ready to branch into a family of products. A 3.5" and 4" would be a good lineup.

I personally just want a big external touch screen for my iPad.

7. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

I'm thinking Apple will release a 7" iPad with 1024x768 and virtually same specs as the iPad 2 for $299 in September or October.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

almost anything in possible but i just don't see them doing this. there really is no compelling reason. the iPhone is just about a perfect size and the iPad is a perfect size (although i will concede that the bezel could be made smaller).

what exactly would be the benefits of a 7" iPad? i just don't see it.

9. maclook macrumors 65816

I know multiple people who have a Kindle Fire and prefer it because of its size. Although I would never get a Kindle Fire, I do see their point. You can't hold an iPad like you would a small paperback. It's too big and heavy. Many people also prefer the 7" size for public commuting.

The same goes for big people want a bigger iPhone.

Although Apple makes a great 10" iPad and 3.5" iPhone, there's really no such thing as a perfect size. Just like the iPod and Macs before, I expect the iPad and iPhone to grow into a family of products that come in different sizes.

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Perhaps as an entry level device with a more affordable price point. Get more people into the fold. Might also offer competition for the likes of Kindle Fire.

I don't think it would cannibalize the 9.75 iPad market as it might appeal to those who couldn't afford (or didn't want to spend) $500 or $600 for a full sized iPad.

11. urkel macrumors 68030

I want one, but I'm done talking about it out here. Some people simply can't Think Different until Apple gives them permission to.

12. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Apple can do whatever it wants, but that's not just a reason to release it. :rolleyes:

13. WLS, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

WLS macrumors 65816

well that's pretty much what I said.. A 5 inch Touch is coming if not a phone too. They can call it the touch reader or phat touch or whatever but such a 5 inch device would make more sense than a 7 inch iPad and do all that people say they need a 7 inch tablet for.
    PS Most of these people who want a 7 inch iPad really just want a cheaper iPad and they think some how if the screen is smaller then it will sell for the same as a Kindle. That's not the case, a 7 inch iPad would still have to sell for $399 and at that price just get a full size one. Sure the screen might be cheaper and but most of the other components will have to be the $ame. The case is going to cost the same to make and the battery would be smaller and might not last as long..

14. VinceDae macrumors regular

Yeah but you said its going to be this year, Im not so sure about that - And a 5" phone will prob. never happen :)

15. wirelessness macrumors 6502

Doubtful...if a 7" iPad was imminent there would likely have been some sort of leaks come out by now. No blurry cam shots of a smaller screen or a casings makes it more unlikely.

16. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

7"... hmm...
    Too big to be a phone, too small to be a tablet. What could it possibly be ?
    The iDunno ?