7 inch iPad - will apple release a superior 1st gen?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by irDigital0l, Jul 20, 2012.

1. irDigital0l Guest

I'm wondering about this because if you look at all the first gens, none of them included stuff like siri, facetime, cameras, retina display, etc.

However now that all iOS devices have these features will Apple put them in the iPad mini too?

or will they go with like no cameras, retina display, etc. for the 1st gen iPad mini.

My personal take is that Apple will go make the "iPad Mini" up to date with the current/upcoming gen devices (iPhone 5, the new iPad, iPod touch 5th gen), etc.

Apple might even be selling these at a loss for sometime, but I really think they want to 'kill off'' the smaller tablet market from Google, Amazon, etc.

Imagine a 7 inch iPad with
    -retina display
    -facetime
    -siri
    -etc.

for like $250.

Just my crazy take on all of this. I believe IF Apple does make a 7 inch iPad, they will make it very good. No quad-core A6 processor or 8MP camera, but the specs will defiantly be good enough.

Apple is going at the whole retina display and facetime in its iphone, ipad, and now Mac. Same goes with FaceTime.

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'm sure they'll include cameras and such, as Apple would want customers to use their services that are reliant on such things.

3. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I hope they don't include a back camera for cost. I also wouldn't mind a non-Retina display. I just want a good, fast tablet that's small and has cellular LTE.

4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Apple will deliver all the features we know now with the most probable exception being Retina. I just see them sticking to first gen display tech and leveraging Retina next year when there will be cooler running GPU that can push those 4x pixels.

5. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

What, to save the ten dollars the camera unit actually costs?

6. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

We're talking about Apple here. That's like $40 extra.

7. slicecom macrumors 68020

Actually, it's closer to 10 cents.

8. dchao macrumors 6502a

That is a crazy idea, doesn't make a good business decision.

For every one of of the 10" iPad sales Apple lost to the 7" iPad, they have to sell two 7" iPads to compensate (2x$250=$500), which is even harder. Therefore, the 7" iPad will make Apple less profitable, and why should Apple do it?

9. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Maybe because they'll sell more than twice as many 7" as 10" iPads?

Guess which model Mercedes, BMW, Lexus sell more of? The smaller one.

It also expands the overall market. Not everyone can afford or can justify $500 for a tablet.

10. Jonx macrumors 6502

Jonx

I doubt it, if they would put those features in, with Apple's pricing it would probably be at the lowest iPad price range and if it is priced right about there then what's the point.

11. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

Apple has never gone cheap. Never will. Its no for everyone

12. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

So, a good business decision would be to allow tablets like Nexus7 to grab market share away from the iPad? Tim Cook himself has said that they won't want to leave price umbrella for the competition in the tablet space.

Also, can you explain to me how delivering more products to the market, at more affordable price points, will make Apple less profitable. The iPod Mini and iPod Nano were the slimmed down (and more affordable) versions of the iPod (classic), and they ended up selling much better. Do you truly believe there aren't people for whom the extra $100-$200 does make a difference? Because the $400 iPad 2 still sells fairly well.

I guess you never heard of iPod Shuffle, or 2nd gen Apple TV, or the free iPhone 3GS on contract. I agree that Apple will not make a new product just for the sake of making it cheap, but maybe they've been planning on making this one all along.

13. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

How about the $99 Apple TV? Cheaper than anything like it on the market.

14. brendu macrumors 68020

Apple does not sell their products at a loss, they don't have to. If they release a smaller iPad it will eat the smaller android tablet sales just like the iPad does to larger android tablets.

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Touché.

16. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

For what it is, the New iPad is super-affordable.

17. irDigital0l thread starter Guest

It still costs $500...and that's for 16GB.

Do you honestly expect EVERYONE be excited for the iPad 3's 4G LTE, better camera, siri, etc..?

Just think of someone that wants to give a family member or a friend an iPad. They could get 2 iPad minis the way they look at it.

18. dchao, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012

dchao macrumors 6502a

It's not the best interest of Apple to compete with Samsung and HTC on prices. If they get into a price war with them, they will loose profit margin. Strategy-wise, it's better to use the lawyers to slow down Samsung and HTC copying them.

Also, as long as there are people willing to folk out $500+ for a new iPad, why should they introduce a 7" iPad? They have iPad2 priced at $400 already, they can keep cutting the price on the oldiPad2 to try and expand the market, again, there is no need for a 7" iPad.

19. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

The reports are saying a 7,85" ipad so isn't it more like a 8" ipad (Nano? Mini?)

20. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Honestly? probably not. It probably won't include retina and I bet it won't have more than 8GB or 16GB capacity in order to bring the price down. Camera probably won't be included either (though really a camera on a smaller tablet makes more sense than on a larger one)Essentially it'll be a grabber model to bring people into the iPad fold but I don't see it being an equal to the larger brother.

1st gen products with Apple are generally very bleak feature-wise but I really think this is to minimize cost on a 1st gen product that may not take off as well as to leave open upgrade options in the future. Apple loves to baby-step their products which is a great method to maximize profits as well as life span of a device line. A good example of this would be the nano, for instance look at the main features as the line went on:
    - 1st gen: was a music player with a battery life of only 14 hours

- 2nd gen: aluminum body, upgraded battery life, improved screen and capacity

- 3rd generation: introduced new form factor, new interface, video support, larger screen and coverflow.

- 4th generation went to the 2nd gen styling, larger screen, capacity bump (16GB) accelerometer and another inteface update

- 5th generation introduced camera,built-in pedometer, radio, new finish, microphone and microphone

- 6th generation... well who the hell knows what they were thinking at this point, I feel like it was a change just to be a change.

This year I'm pretty sure they could have upgrading the CPU on the iPad but they have chosen to keep that around as a big feature for next year instead of piling all the features they can in one generation. Though the 2nd generation was a pretty big improvement over the 1st gen.

21. dchao macrumors 6502a

7.85"? That is so close to 9.7" original? What is the point? Where is the product differentiation?

22. irDigital0l thread starter Guest

Hmm good ideas.

So when they release the iPad 4th gen. They could be still selling the ipad 2 for like $300?

iPad 2 (Wi-Fi) 16GB - $299
    iPad 3 (Wi-Fi) 16GB - $399
    iPad 4 (Wi-Fi) 16GB - $499

That would defiantly be interesting....

23. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

There is a gap below the iPad ( surely you've read this). Filling that gap heads off Google eventually selling a Nexus 10 to all those Nexus 7 owners that decide they want something bigger, and it provides an option to people who don't want to spend $500.

24. dchao macrumors 6502a

Yep, they can do anything they like.

Including: **FREE** with a two year data contract (similar to iPhone 3G)

New matrix
    -------------
    iPad 2 (Wi-Fi) 8GB - FREE
    iPad 3 (Wi-Fi) 16GB - $399
    iPad 4 (Wi-Fi) 16GB - $499

25. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

10 cents for apple = $25 added to price.

For apple to upgrade the memory of an iPad from 16 to 32gb it costs rougly $8, but apple charges another $100.