$7 iPhone 3GS dock from ebay, link inside, good or bad? Anyone bought before?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by hamzab, Sep 7, 2009.

1. hamzab macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

Now I'm searching the market for a iPhone 3GS dock and Apple's prices at 30 dollars are to much to pay for a dock.

I've found one on ebay from a reputable seller but the dock sadly, as stated, isn't genuine. Here is the LINK

I don't want to damage my iPhone 3GS so is it bad getting one of these? I've heard of chinese chargers/batteries exploding so would it be wiser to just fork out the extra money for a genuine dock? Is this deal to good to be true?

Im in the UK and I can get a Genuine Apple Universal Dock and remote for £25 or the normal iPhone 3GS dock for £19

Cheers guys

HamzaB

2. Slowstick macrumors 6502

My guess is it should be fine. But I wouldn't...:D

3. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

:rolleyes: May I ask why?

4. lpnjake macrumors member

buy the one from ebay, get one from bestbuy.. return the ebay one to bestbuy get apple dock for ebay price.

ive done it ;)

5. Slowstick macrumors 6502

I guess...

Pretty much it seems too good to be true. I can't see why it wouldn't work; if the info gets through the wires the info gets through the wires. But it seems cheap and not worth the time.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

this is what I use and love!

Griffins Aircuve cost me $16 shipped with a discount code it's a dock and a spaeker amplifier I take it with me to almost every room. it's the bomb imo so much so I plan ro order a 2nd one soon. and it uses the Apple charger cable so nothing to void warrenty.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/aircurve

7. Slowstick macrumors 6502

I'd go with that. :D

8. bjelder macrumors member

9. lpnjake macrumors member

10. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

Ick.

11. Slowstick macrumors 6502

I WOULD NOT recommend this!

12. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't worry I won't be attempting that, I'm in the UK so there is no bestbuy.

I think Im going to get the genuine Apple one, I'll wait a few weeks till I get paid then fork out the extra money for a genuine product that if God Forbid, does damage my iPhone 3GS I can claim it on the warranty

Thanks for your help guys

HamzaB

13. javanutsy macrumors newbie

Please tell me you're joking. It infuriates me when I read people do this sort of thing. This is obviously illegal and unethical.

Back on topic: I've bought a wall charger, car charger, sync cable set off eBay for $7 shipped, and works as advertised. No problems at all. I'm amazed at how cheap these can be had.

14. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Even though the seller claims that the dock is for the 3G/3GS, that dock pictured is obviously for the 1st gen (as you can see with the speaker cutouts). Anything other than the 1st gen iPhone will NOT fit in that dock if that is, in fact, the one they are selling. I wouldn't buy.

15. Slowstick macrumors 6502

Good point! I would DEFINITELY not recommend this.

16. lollicup macrumors regular

beat me to it

All the copy-cat 3G docks I have seen are actually modeled after the 2g dock

I purchased a counterfeit 3G dock from Hong Kong. It does fit and does work, but you have to wiggle you iPhone 3G into and out of the dock . I paid $10 for it and threw it away after a week of use.

I paid $30 for the apple dock. It is expensive, but it works perfectly and the iPhone slides in perfectly so I do not feel like it will damage my phone like the counterfeit model.

that Griffin dock is ugly, for $10 more you can have something that looks good and works perfectly ( has speaker amplifier + audio out socket)

17. uanuglyfool macrumors regular

uanuglyfool

I just bought this one off ebay for $9.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170368453036

It's the original iPhone 2G dock that has been sanded down to fit the iPhone 3G. They just sanded down the dock to make it fit the iPhone 3G, which I was gonna do with my old dock but I lost it so I just bot this. It fits perfectly with my 3G and 3GS.

Attached Files:

18. Slowstick macrumors 6502

I should do that with my old one. How would you sand that down?

19. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

sandpaper?

20. Slowstick macrumors 6502

On that plastic? I tried. I might have to get better sandpaper....

21. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Take a Dremel to it. It takes all of 5 minutes to make the adjustment. I bought a 1g dock off eBay for 99 cents and it works perfectly.

22. Slowstick macrumors 6502

Great! I might have one of those lying around somewhere. I'll give it a try!:D