7" MIMO Touchscreen for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jimmypopjr, Jan 7, 2009.

1. jimmypopjr macrumors regular

Hey all,

First post here. I've been viewing these forums for a while but never found reason to post. Now I have one!
    I just bought a 7" touchscreen for my late 2008 MBP. I was wondering what apps out there will take advantage of it?

It's powered over usb, as well as the video going over USB. More info can be found here: http://thegadgeteers.com/

Any input would be great while I wait for it to ship.

Thanks!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What do you mean, take advantage of it? Drag widgets out of Dashboard and put them there. There's not much use for it otherwise.

3. timestoby macrumors 6502

its nice if you were on the road and didnt want to lug around a big'ol external monitor lol.

4. jimmypopjr thread starter macrumors regular

Take advantage of it as in features that are specific to touchscreens. Adobe programs, widgets, anything really. As of right now my plans for it are a dedicated video screen when I'm working (when I work I use a 22" monitor and the macbook pro's screen).

5. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

Mount it next to your bed then you will be in the future...

I told myself I was gonna wait to order one...

Who am I kidding, by the end of work today I am going to convince myself that I NEED 2 of them.

How am I going to explain this to my GF...

6. claimed4all macrumors 6502

As having it on a mac, care to mini review it for us? How well do the features work? (the touch interface and the webcame)

7. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

asked the company a few questions, here are the responses.

1. Can it work with the Mac Mini as a second monitor?
    Yes! Once you install the DisplayLink driver it will work on any Intel-based Mac running Tiger or Leopard. In fact we've had some success using the Mimo as the ONLY monitor on a Mac Mini (after installing the drivers, of course).

2. With a newer computer (intel macs about a year old) would I have to attach both usb cables, or should one be enough?
    In most cases, one is enough. On a MacBook we recommend plugging into the USB port closer to the back of the computer; the port closer to the front does not always provide enough power to USB devices.

3. Does the monitor display appear in the Displays section of system preferences just like any other secondary screen?
    Yes.

8. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

For your enjoyment:

http://www.mimomonitors.com/pages/what-can-you-do-with-it

9. obey908 macrumors 6502a

has anyone actually bought one? I have been thinking about buying to place near my bed, with different widgets (sports scores, weather, clock/calendar, etc)

10. sharifi14 macrumors member

Honestly, I bought mine in a fit of excitement, but after I'd confirmed the order I felt like I didn't really need it. Until I started using it I didn't realise how fun these little monitors could be. I use it mainly to store my IM chats so I keep my main display freed up, but I am also trying to set it up in my car.

11. pob7161 macrumors newbie

I have just purchased one and it wont work just installed the drivers popped in the usb just getting a dark blue tinted screen... any ideas here. Gone to system preferences and it is not it is not registering as being there. When I plug it in It flashes the scren on my mac book indicating i have put something into my lappy but then nothing...

Any ideas here peeps..

cheers

I am running a macbook

12. caipirina macrumors member

3rd monitor?

Has anyone ever tried to set it up as a THIRD monitor ??? I have ext' displays on all my computers already ... but i'd love to add a small 7" ... but want to hear if this is technically possible ...

Thanks

13. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

I was wondering the same exact thing. Hopefully someone has the answer.

14. caipirina macrumors member

i'll be in tokyo for the holidays, hopefully I can find one on the cheap side and then check if it works ...