7.?" mini iPad rumor self fullfilling prophesy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PracticalMac, May 9, 2012.

1. PracticalMac, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Talk of a smaller iPad has been going around for years by those (like me) who actually want a smaller iPad, but recently I have seen mention in major main stream media like ABC, Bloomberg, and others.

People ask about it becuase they are interested about it.
    They ask while pointing at the smaller Android tablets (and Fires initial success)

The constant media attention/speculation to a "mini iPad" will gain a market following of interested people, thus a strong demand.

More attention comes from the speculation it will be cheaper then the full size iPad (a not far fetched assumption due to less materials to make one).

A smaller, less expensive iPad that can deliver the feel of the full sized one will at the least easily sell over a million a quarter, and potentially be a block buster.

Now, if Apple releases the mini a few months before holiday season, they can rake in huge sales. What is more, if they offer a new iPad version in 6 month cycles (one big and one small), the frequent refresh rates will give Apple a more "fresh, active, look" .
    Apple can't let Samsung get all the spotlight by releasing a "tablet" several times a year.

EDIT:
    7.8" called iNote??
    :p

2. roccobladr macrumors 6502

I thought it was a stupid idea at first, but I actually think I'd buy a 7" iPad. I have an iphone 4s and a MacBook air 11. So a 10" iPad is almost pointless for me.

I do things on my iPhone that I'd love to on a ipad for the screen such as GarageBand that I prefer the touch controls and interface to the macbook version.

I think a 7" would be perfect for my needs.

3. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I was expecting a heated debate for this post, wrong, right, whatever, but it feels like a ghost town!

Silent agreement? (eg, great silent majority)

4. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

5. jbimler macrumors regular

I'm all for it. My wife prefers the 7 inch because it fits in her purse. My kids would love an iPad as a gift but I'm not shelling out 500 dollars. Bring it.

6. Alicia4065 macrumors regular

I'm all for it since it's the reason why I carry a 7inch Android Tablet because there was not one for the Ipad.

7. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I'd be all over it !!! But, not the rumored 8GB version... Needs to have a 32-64Gb option!

8. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

I'm pretty sure that with a good powered bandsaw and a ruler I can get my iPad 3 down to 7". There are some black areas around the screen which are extra and can be trimmed.

Will post pics later after I've had me a couple more Buds.

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

Will Apple release a smaller iPad someday? Probably.

Will they do it at halff the price of the 10"? Never. That's fantasy pricing.

Samsung hardly has "all the spotlight" given the strength of iPad sales.

10. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

I'd be interested but only with a minimum of 16GB storage.

11. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I think, from a business perspective, it would good if Apple released a smaller and cheaper iPad to tackle the ereader market.

However, if the new iPhone this year does have a bigger screen, and a smaller screen iPad comes out then iOS may face similar fragmentation issues as android does.

12. poloponies macrumors 68030

"From a business perspective" based on what?

13. Zcott macrumors 68020

So glad I read the rest of this sentence.

14. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

There's an open market for Apple to cannibalize if the company thinks it's profitable. That is, expanding the iPad to a different market.

For example, my friend just bought a Nook reader and I told him I was thinking of buying an iPad later this summer. We talked about the prices and different models and he said he'd buy one if it was a bit cheaper but would be willing to pay more than he did for the Nook.

People who mainly want a reader may be able to pay a bit more to get the reader plus some extra features but want a smaller and lighter device, and a smaller iPad may be just the device for these people.

15. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Man, I know what you mean. Im still waiting for my iPhone mini. I refuse to buy the regular one until they build one that finally fits into my man-purse.

16. poloponies macrumors 68030

The problem is that you don't halve the costs by cutting down the size. The display, case and battery get a little cheaper, but not by a huge margin, maybe $60 total. So your BOM costs will be at or above $250. Sell it for $350 and the profit per item drops well below that of the iPad (even at $399 you aren't clearing a full $149 per item, more like $100). Figure by the end of the day you have to sell 2 smaller iPads to recover the loss of 1 larger iPad sale. Doesn't seem to be a great deal for Apple.

17. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

You're missing the point... I doubt the smaller iPad would be just as powerful as the bigger ones, so cheaper parts may be used for that and, as a result, prices could be cheaper (I saw articles citing possible $250-$350 prices).

You're not trying to "recover the loss" from larger iPads that haven't been sold because people that aren't buying them either can't afford them or it doesn't suit their preferences. This isn't about not buying a larger iPad, it's about being able to afford an iPad, which would be the smaller variant.

18. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

The iPad 3 can be sold for less. Look at the price difference between a new one and a refurb and Apple is still making a bunch of money.

Apple won't take a saw to the current iPad and lop off a few inches.

Everything will be new and starting at qty 100k pricing.

So it won't be much cheaper.

Want an iPod nano, classic, touch. Got $100 to $200 and change.
    You will start to understand the pricing structure between models.

19. poloponies macrumors 68030

"Doubting" that it would be "just as powerful" is meaningless. They aren't going to be introducing a iOS "Lite". iOS6 will likely be as demanding as the current technology allows, owners of the new iPad and iPhone 4S (and soon 5) will be expecting features, and developers will be pushing the limits to create content that the iOS will support.

While Apple isn't all that concerned about last year's products working to 100% effectiveness with new OS technology, Apple isn't going to release a new product that can't take advantage of its current state of the art.

Apple has no obligation to the consumer, the market or the world at large to introduce budget-priced items. It needs to keep its earnings robust and not jeopardize its position.

While you may have seen "speculation" of a device priced at $250-$350, that's all it is - speculation. I can guarantee that not one of the people writing that have any actual knowledge about anything relating to a smaller Apple tablet.

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    It seems likely that Apple could get away with a $250 non-retina version.

The decent estimates for BOM for the Fire ranged between $150 and $200.

Like the iPad, the Fire saved money by leaving out GPS, but a mini-iPad would still need cameras... or... maybe not!

21. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Can you please point out where I said "halff price"??

Only thing I said is "less expensive" then 10"

I fully expect the price around $299 to $349.
    I bet it will be $349 with all features of iPad with 8MP camera, as you gain aGPS, compass, and 4G/LTE over the $200 iPod Touch, but still $100 less then a 10" will have

Yes, guessing it would be iPad 2 like hardware but with 4G/LTE and 8MP camera.

----------

They could, but I do not think Apple will make a crippled lowest bid crap the Fire is.

...Actually, maybe Apple should make a 6.9" iPod Touch for $250??

22. MattInOz, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012

MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

If Apple do this it won't be to tackle the eBook market. Well not exclusively.
    They'll only do it if they get broad interest from various user groups. Including Corporates, Point of Sales people like their own sales staff.

I also think if we see a device in this range it'll have a new name. Not the "iPad mini". After all the iPad would need to expand in screen real estate to give up sell. That will open up new function. So as much as existing apps would likely work on the smaller size, it'll still be a functionally different target for developers that Apple will need distinguish in the AppStore.

23. consoleboi macrumors member

I for one have been waiting for a smaller iPad for the longest time and have considered galaxy tab 7.7 which I think is the perfect size but not price.

After reading all the comments flying back and forth I think sadly it's most likely all just humours based on following points:

1) Apple for awhile now has lost it's vision. They only cater to large mass market appeal.

2) They want maximum profits and a smaller iPad probably won't give them that margin they prefer even if it is less "powered". Add to that a less powered tablet may not be able to handle ios5 and future iterations and I think that's something Apple is proud about ..performance and intended "experience".

I'm not a rabid Apple fanboy but I do appreciate the R&D they put into their products. I think the market is starting to challenge their ego a bit. Until they get a good kick in the gut like declining market share and huge stock price drop they will continue as they always haved when Jobs was still alive.

I just wish a company like Samsung would take a few cues from Apple and stop making so many similar product lines. Instead focus on a few and make them the best quality at reasonable price if they truly want to challenge Apple.

24. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Another use for the 32 nm A5!

They might also just use the iPod touch's cheaper/smaller cameras, and non-retina for an iPad 2 mini.

However, given that the Fire seems to have lost a lot of steam there may be less drive to do this. (I definitely reach for my iPads more than my Kindle Fire).

B