7 month old new watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Vegaspilot, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Vegaspilot macrumors regular

So this might be seems kinda silly, but I picked up a new silver sport watch tonight and setting it up I noticed it was still on 1.0.1. It was also dead out of the box and had to be charged about 10-15 mins to even get it powered on. So I did a serial number look up and it's a 2015 week 27 watch. Last July. So it's been sitting in its box at the Apple Store for 7 months. The first one they brought out had a scratch on the screen out of the box so it was exchanged to this one. I was able to look up the first ones serial from the receipt and it's 2015 week 27 too. Everything seems ok so far on this one, just seems odd it's been sitting that long. Dunno if I should be annoyed or not. Thoughts?

2. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Does the watch have a "Best by" date like a box of cereal?

No, it doesn't. Why would it matter? If you have issues with the watch it still has 1 year of warranty.

4. Vegaspilot, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016

Vegaspilot thread starter macrumors regular

Good point. Haha. I figured I was just worrying over nothing, just wasn't sure if maybe there was something updated under the hood of newer ones.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Nope, they really only make changes when the next version is released. Otherwise all the changes are just in the software.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

It is why they are being discounted at places like Best Buy . . . they did not sell the way Apple had planned.

7. Vegaspilot thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I guess so. I was just fairly surprised to see something sitting at an Apple Store for that long. Month or two sure, but 7 surprised me.

8. Julien, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It may have not been at the :apple:Store that long. It is likely a failure in stock rotation somewhere in the distribution chain. A case or pallet went missing and was no longer in the first in, first out rotation. The case or pallet was 'found' and put back in rotation. Since it is not a perishable and is current stock it's not a problem.

9. Vegaspilot thread starter macrumors regular

That makes sense. In my own weird thought process I'd prefer one that hasn't been sitting around as long, but I'm not gonna worry about it. Long as it works and the battery is good that's really what matters. One thing that seems pretty constant across Apple product lines is that whether first day or six months in, they are the same. Waiting months to try and get a better built one doesn't pan out.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

11. Marco123 macrumors 6502a

I purchased an iPad Air 2 from my local Apple Store in November that was manufactured the previous year.
    You do realise that is why the retail Apple stores are so important to Apple. It allows them to stuff their own stores with stock and claim the huge shipped numbers that they do.
    Yes the iPhone ships a lot but that doesn't mean they're all selling.

12. Vegaspilot thread starter macrumors regular

Wow. Interesting. Thanks.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You do realize that the Apple Store gets a new shipment of iPhones each day for a number of months after launch? If they weren't selling, the rather small Apple Store would have no room to keep them.

14. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

That's normal.

Apple isn't selling watches as fast, nor is the demand as high as Apple would like you to believe. Their silence is proof. Known for bragging frequently about sales of their products, Apple has been unusually quiet about the watch. Yet with billions of dollars in reserve they'll keep the watch in the product line to look good.

Apple Watch is quite good, it's just that a smartwatch is more of a gimmick than a must have. It can't stand on it's own, the customer must tether it to an iPhone, further driving up the cost of ownership.

15. Vegaspilot thread starter macrumors regular

Very true. As much as I like iPhone and use mostly all Apple stuff, the desire to try Android is there from time to time and if I ever found one I really liked, the Apple Watch won't work so well.

Might also depend on where you buy the watch. I had originally grabbed a space grey from Best Buy and it was a 2016 week 4. But decided I wanted silver with a black band and Apple was the best way to get that.

16. Marco123 macrumors 6502a

I love my Apple stuff, I've an iPad pro, AW SS SB, iPhone 6S and iPod touch but the iMac is something I just can't commit myself to because I prefer Windows for gaming.
    I really wish the iMac was as suitable to gaming as Windows because I just love the design and look of the iMac.

17. Mac2me, Feb 14, 2016

Mac2me macrumors 6502a

I think you might be mistaken on that. I have heard a number of times over the years that Apple only counts sales as items in customers hands not those in still distribution channels, unlike many other companies who do count shipments to retailers. Assume Apple gets sales reports from their channels and adjusts inventory production accordingly so the market doesn't get flooded with an item. They do seem to run a tight ship on inventory, unlike early Apple.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2016 ---
    Even Target and Best Buy get small shipments every so often. When I wanted my 4S, 6+ and my Apple Pencil and didn't want to for Apple online I kept checking in the stores and that's what I was told. So really don't believe a lot of inventory sits in stores for long. When I was looking for my Midnight Blue and Product Red sport bands I found the same to be true at my local Apple stores.
    I don't look at my AW as a gimmick or a must have. Certainly no more than a regular watch is. I find it useful in my daily life from a number of aspects. I also don't think it drives up the cost of ownership in that if you didn't already have an iPhone to begin with you probably wouldn't consider an AW. It would keep you in the ecosystem for the ease of use, etc. but just because you have an iPhone doesn't mean you'll necessarily feel a smartwatch is necessary for you to own. For those non-Apple people who switch over I think they do so for the overall package that Apple can deliver them and knowing that the vast majority of Apple users are very happy with their choice.

18. Storminbalders macrumors newbie

Funnily enough I had the exact same experience a couple of weeks ago! I bought the last Stainless Steel Milanese Loop 38mm in the sale from the Nottingham branch of John Lewis.

I was stunned when I realised it had been sitting in their stock room since July of last year (mine was week 28).

I assume that's why they so heavily reduced them, because they weren't selling at the RRP.

I have to say I'm stunned at just how amazing it is. I totally love it and can't remember getting so excited about a purchase ever!

19. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

Since the production dates aren't on the outer box I suspect when product is shipped from warehouses they have no idea what stock is being sent.

20. Julien, Feb 14, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

A simple serial number will identify this. Also all cases and pallets have serial/tracking numbers that contain all identifying info to directed them through the distribution channel.
    Unlike almost all others companies Apple doesn't use shipping numbers but only sell through numbers. Also Apple has not released any :apple:Watch sells numbers.

21. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

22. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The reality is that there is no possible number that Apple could release as a sales number for the watch that would be enough to appease people. The iPhone sells in quantities that are so astronomically large that anything they could say about the Watch, which is necessarily a first generation device with a ton of compromises, would be a disappointment to the pundits. The reality is that even with those compromises, the Watch appears to be taking a huge portion of the smart watch market - even when the vast majority of people can't visualize why they'd actually want one. I was one of those people and completely ignored it all year until I was given one for Christmas. I'd now rate it as my 3rd most important Apple device after my phone and Macbook. There is nothing else on the market like it.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Care to explain why that is? The point is Best Buy and Target selling them at a $100 discount isn't necessarily indicative of AW's selling poorly. They may simply be loss leaders for these stores, as they tend to be popular items (otherwise, they won't be able to draw customers into the stores).

As others have indicated, the AW may not have actually sat at the Apple Store for 7 months.
    Very true. The fact that they sold more AWs in the first 9 weeks compared to the original iPhone and iPad at launch would mean nothing to these pundits.

24. RadioGaGa1984, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016

RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

I personally think the watch is selling fine, the problem is some of the models sell better than others. I think the next round you will buy the watch and the band separately boxed.

25. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple