7 month old UB MacBook starting to fail.....

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cogsinister, Aug 18, 2009.

1. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Oh well i guess it had to happen.......

After 7 months my "Collectors edition" UB MB is showing signs of failure in a couple of places....

1. The case springs open when carried.....the hinge looks out of alignment...

2. Last night the fan has started hitting its cowling as it spins causing a loud rattling sound !!!!

Oh well off to the Apple resellers for repairs i guess........

*edit*

And battery health is down to 88% after 280 loadcycles........seems low to me.....

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ok.
    Well first, I don't believe that 7 months of use should be an acceptable life span for any MB. Second, Apple has this weird thing about batteries in that they believe that as long as you still get a charge it's 100% ok. That's my opinion. Good luck with that battery issue. Finally, the fan sounds like an issue.

Now did you actually call your MB the collector's edition when you scheduled your appointment? Since you asked no questions in your post I figured I'd ask you a question instead. :)

3. cogsinister thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well first off, my Apple reseller (no Apple stores around here) is a drop in place...no appointment required yay...

The fan is definatly an issue, the noise it makes is maddening.....

And the case springing open when you carry the closed computer is not "In spec" whatever Apple may try and tell me......

This is the firs time i have used the "collectors edition" thingy......its just a MacBook to me........

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Either way, I was just saying that the fan issue sounds like a problem. I am over sensitive to fan issues since I had one in my MP resulting in a new machine being issued to me. The case opening is not in spec, I never said it was. The battery, well I stand by that but the reseller may (hopefully) have another opinion. Apple employees, in my opinion, are douches about batteries.

5. cogsinister thread starter macrumors 6502a

+1 on the fan issue....the fan in my old plastic MB failed, that and the case cracks and the hard drive failure caused me to be issued with this machine as a replacement.......now it looks like i am on my way to yet another replacement machine.......

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Seems about right?

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

7. cogsinister thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

Sorry about the other crap you're having to deal with .. again. I wish they'd bump people who've had multiple exchanges with the plastic models up to the unibody model!

9. cogsinister thread starter macrumors 6502a

They bumped me from a plastic MB to a UB MB......

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

Crap, I missed that in your op. :eek:

This is exactly why I'm normally asleep this time of day. :eek: