7+ (Occasionally) Unresponsive Screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cc00lltt00nn, Nov 3, 2016.

1. cc00lltt00nn macrumors regular

cc00lltt00nn

I've already had one 7+ replaced for several different malfunctioning reasons (mainly battery) and now my non-refurb replacement is having a different issue. I can't remember exactly when it started (perhaps 10.1 public release) but I'm now on 10.2 Beta 1 and the problem persists. Once every day or so when I bring up the app-switcher my screen becomes completely unresponsive. All of the physical "buttons" (looking at you, home "button") still work, so it's not like the phone itself is freezing. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

Yup. +1, with two different 7+ phones.

3. cc00lltt00nn thread starter macrumors regular

cc00lltt00nn

Hmmm, interesting *not sure of emotion*. Did they identify what the issue might have been? Or did they just chalk it up to being a "hardware issue"?

4. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

I've have it the other way around- my buttons (volume/home) become unresponsive but screen still works. Appears to be software hiccup though since it's very rare, and will eventually work again- if I open or close apps or just wait a minute.

5. AppleB macrumors 6502a

AppleB

I've noticed this also on my 7 Plus.

I turned off 3D Touch which seems to correct it. Then I turned 3D Touch back on but set it on light sensitivity and it seems ok. So it could be a software issue. I'm keeping a eye on it though. I sent iOS feedback as a potential bug.

6. jm0neyxo macrumors member

jm0neyxo

A couple times will using it I'll be in an app and press the home button and it's unresponsive. So are the lock and volume buttons at the same time. Wouldn't even let me do a hard restart. I have to let it lock itself than the buttons work but the screen doesn't until it locks itself again it's weird.

7. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Same here. Still getting some black freezes too, even after the update. Really not impressed with this phone..

8. M5RahuL macrumors 68030

M5RahuL

I see ' No Service ' quite frequently when infact I have LTE speeds! Unresponsive touches are also a blooming issue and I'm on 10.2 B1, but these issues existed prior too.

9. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

Apple still haven't managed to fix the Plus model's performance issues. The 6S+ was a huge improvement over its predecessor but Apple continue to throw RAM at the problem when the occasional screen freezes are more likely down to the non-native screen resolution and accompanying downscaler. The 1080p resolution is not anything that would cause any noticeable performance drop over the 4.7" iPhone, not with these powerful SOCs, so the problem must lay with the downscaling. I must say that my 6S+ was a huge breath of fresh air compared to the crippled 6+ but it still didn't fully iron out all the instances of screen freezing only ever experienced with the Plus models.

10. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Strange as I have had my buttons become unresponsive, twice on the 7+, but that was several updates ago and have not had any problems since. My 7+ has been working pretty well flawless.

11. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

same here. incredinly annoying with the no service

12. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 65816

StaceyMJ86

This is my 2nd 7+ replacement and my screen goes unresponsive several times each hour. It's very annoying and frustrating. I hope this a software issue and can be fixed. Has anyone installed the latest beta software (10.2 beta 3) and noticed any changes? I'm debating if I should download it and see if it fixes anything before contacting support.

13. AppleB macrumors 6502a

AppleB

I didn't get a replacement but I'm still getting the occasional unresponsive screen after the public updates. For me it seems like it's always tapping on a app when it gets unresponsive.

14. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

Yeah, the damn thing occasionally freezes up. It's a bug, hopefully software. I've had 3 diff units and they all do it. 10.1

15. Applejuiced, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I noticed it a few times but doesn't happen too often.
    The screen becomes unresponsive. If I hit the lock button and then unlock the screen then works again right away.
    Not sure if disabling 3D touch fixes it so I just turned it off to see if it happens again.

16. Dieego macrumors member

17. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 65816

StaceyMJ86

Mine is doing the same thing except it will do it almost every time I open a app and don't respond within 15 seconds my screen will freeze. The only way to get it to respond is to press the lock button. I've tried a hard rest and just cutting the phone off for 5 minutes and still the same thing. It's frustrating. It sounds like it's a software bug. Definitely don't feel like going through the process to get another replacement.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Is it a specific app that causes it for you?
    For me sometimes it does it while I browse websites on safari.

19. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

Apple can't be giving these phones any kind of thorough testing before release. The release schedules are too aggressive, thanks to quarterly reporting requirements and the need to constantly get bigger and return money to shareholders. The whole thing will unwind.

If you haven't already unloaded your Apple stock, now would be a good time.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Similar sentiments have been around at least since iPhone 5, and realistically even since the announcement of the iPod...that similar kind of sort of stock advice from those days surely worked out quite well for those that followed it.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah sure, thanks for the financial consulting :D

22. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 65816

StaceyMJ86

It don't matter what app I'm using. It took me over 20 minutes to send a line email this morning. So far it hasn't happened since early this afternoon.

23. Rob9874 macrumors 6502

Did a search on "unresponsive" and am relieved to hear others are having it as well. My 7+ 256GB is unresponsive every once in a while, at least once per day. I used to do a hard boot to fix it, but noticed recently that if I just wait a few minutes, it'll start working again. At least it's not just me, and I don't need to take it in for a replacement. I'll just live with it and hope one of these iOS updates fixes it.

24. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

My 6+ did this loads, my 6S+ much less so. It's disappointing to hear that the 7+ still does it.