Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Illegit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
I was doing a 7-Pass Erase of a hard drive that I had switched out of my MBP. During the process, the USB cable connecting my hard drive to my MBP got disconnected. Now, whenever I connect this external drive to my MBP, it doesn't show up in the desktop or under disk utiltiy. How can I can continue the process of erasing and formatting the drive? What do I have to do in order for OS X to recognize it?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I can find dozens of threads on this, but unfortunately, not as many solutions. I think external HD have been getting made cheaper and results in less stable HDs. It's possible the HD has become corrupt. Possible solutions would be to use a program such as Disk Warrior or Data Rescue 2, neither of which is free unfortunately.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Download Testdisk/Photorec. They're good free data recovery utilities. You aren't looking for data recovery, but Testdisk can repair partitions, and you should see if they can see your disk.

Also, go into the terminal, type "mount" and hit return, and see if the disk is listed.

Try a reboot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.