7 pass erase...then...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DamoRed, Sep 14, 2009.

1. DamoRed macrumors member

Hi all,

At the weekend, I performed a 7 pass erase with Disk Utility on my beloved Lime iMac 400. It's in preparation for new lease of life, at a primary school. The problem is that when I put the 10.4 install disc in and attempt to start up from there, to re-install, all that happens is after a minute or so after start up, a folder icon appears in the middle of the screen, with an alternating Mac face and a question mark.

The problem may lie with the USB hubs, which appear to work intermittently. When transferring files, I had to switch the keyboard from one slot to the other, despite both working previously, before switching, if you see what I mean. Now I'm wondering has something more terminal happened in the procedure, and thus, I cannot start up from the CD, because holding down C on startup is not being seen if the USB hub is not recognising the keyboard.

Is there any way I can install 10.4 on my iMac via Target Disk Mode or any other option?

Thank you

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Does the computer mount on another Mac using Target Disk Mode? It sounds as though the iMac might have a dead hard drive.

3. DamoRed thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it does mount. I did the 7 pass erase via target disk mode.