7/Plus case that adds headphone jack?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MrXiro, Sep 14, 2016.

1. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Has anyone heard of a 7/plus case that adds the headphone jack back? I imagine that it could even have a extended battery, DAC (or just a passthrough like the adapter) and a lightening charger built onto it. Seems like something that should have been in development as soon as the announcement or even the rumor.

2. BrianNH macrumors member

It would have to be quite thick to fit the port. Hold a headphone connector next to your phone and imagine double that thickness to cover the female portion.

3. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Either that or the case would have to extend the bottom of the phone AT LEAST the length of a 3.5mm connector which either way seems ridiculous looking.

4. kysteve macrumors newbie

kysteve

A possible design that could be implemented, is have the jack on the bottom but turned to the side so the actual port is on the side of the case. That way the only added thickness of the case is the width of the headphone jack

5. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

To be honest, I'm wondering if that is a little extreme. Soon, multiple manufacturers will be removing the likes of the headphone jack. Just something to think about...

6. MrXiro, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016

MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Well as someone who uses many bluetooth headphones I wouldn't need one. But a case like this would solve the missing headphone jack issue that 1/2 the population is whining about. that 1/2 can buy this case. I wouldn't imagine that it would be any thicker than an otterbox case.

Not that I would use one, cause those things are huge, but I have a battery case that uses lightning. The portion that holds the battery in back is kind of thick but still could house a headphone jack plug but not the plastic ring around it. There are also some battery cases that have a huge chin... I haven't measured but it does look like it's the same depth as a 3.5mm jack.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2016 ---
    Not the most elegant solution but there could be a slight headphone jack hump like in some old portable CD players.

7. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

...touché

8. Synomenon macrumors regular

I'm sure Mophie will release something like this at some point...

9. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Why? If you insist on staying with outdated technology, just add a $9 dongle on every set of wired headphones you own.

10. Synomenon macrumors regular

^
    I'm fine with the 3.5mm headphone jack being removed, but a great many others aren't. It's an opportunity for these accessory companies to cash in.

11. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I was thinking if could outsource and get one to market early I could make some good money. I probably own more Bluetooth headphones than you owned wired ones so don't worry how far along I am in keeping up with tech.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2016 ---
    I saw!

12. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Well, good luck if you ever did invest in that idea. People are not going to flood to a case that adds that kind of bulk to a phone, especially since there already is a jack for audio and its called the Lightning Port.

13. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

It doesn't solve the charge while using headphones issue and I'm just looking at solutions for that while you bob your head at what ever apple tells you is fine... if there was no market for this stuff then things like battery, cases and 3rd party headphones wouldn't be out there. Ideally had apple added a 2nd charging solution (smart connector charging) there would be less of a need.

Now please go be snarky somewhere else.

14. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Who's being snarky here? (I think you.) You asked about this in a public forum so don't be upset when people give you answers.

You might already be aware of this, but one solution has already been offered by Belkin. It's a small splitter. After plugging into the lightning port, the two splits offer an audio jack and a female lightning port for charging. In my mind, this is probably the best solution because you can just keep it in your car attached permanently to your audio cable. This doesn't add the permanent bulk that a case with an audio jack would. At any rate, it seems like the best implementation. Can you think of anything better?

15. MrXiro, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Yes a thin case that adds the same dual lightning ports. No need for battery. Just two ports. Either on the bottom or one one the side.

The dongle is awful imo, it's huge like the lightning to 30 pin adapter apple released.

The current solution I picked up is the apple dock which has a lightning port and 3.5mm for my desk at work.
    Another solution is I'm using a Bluetooth dongle that I got for $13 from Amazon. The reason is I need specefic headphones where I can hear people talking to me at my work. I.e. Apple EarPods. I'll look into Airpods when they come out but $160 is steep even for apple for mediocre earbuds. If EarPods are $30 a reasonable price for Airpods would be $99.

16. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I'm with you. I was hoping that he AirPods would have been $99 and that would probably help Apple realize economies of scale to make their profit.

In regards to the case, I see what you're after now and that makes sense. For some reason, I had thought you wanted to design a case that had an actual audio jack in it. My bad. What you mentioned seems completely doable. Two lightning ports would not take up near as much room. Considering that so many people put their phone in a mount in their car, I would think it would be paramount to have both lightning ports coming out the bottom vs one on the side, especially since a case needs to reach as broad of an audience as possible. Thoughts?

17. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Well I said headphone jack because it solves issues for multiple people. I don't really care what they put in as long as I can charge and listen at the same time.

I said side for dual lightning because it would allow for landscape charging also for those who want to use a dock in landscape. When my phone is on my desk it doesn't matter where the plug is coming from. Also if both ports are at the bottom they will be left and right but never centered so it would never be seated in any docks straight, it would always hang left or right. Maybe one on top and one on bottom would work too.