iPhone XR 7 Plus to the XR?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Soulflower, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Soulflower macrumors regular

Soulflower

I am considering a change from the 7 Plus to the XR primarily because my 7 Plus is worth $300 for trade.

Plus, I admit, I always want to upgrade.

Is it worth it?

2. scottcampbell macrumors regular

This page may help you: https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

You say you always want to upgrade - are you usually glad that you made that choice, or do you suffer any buyer's remorse?

3. PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

I went from a 7 Plus to an XR. For me (I’m a heavy user) the significant improvement in battery life was worth it just on its own. And that was with a new battery in my 7 Plus.

4. bluespark macrumors 65832

Worth it for what? Better camera? Yes, but you drop from two to one. Better screen? No -- the Xr screen is bigger, but the pixel density is lower and some think it doesn't look as good from a sharp angle. Faster? Yes. Batter life? Yes. Prefer Face ID? Then sure. More pocket ability? Mixed bag -- smaller but thicker. Want colors? Then yes. Accessories? Depends on what you're after.

"Worth it" depends on you, but it's not a clear "upgrade" because not all features are equal or better.

5. dazz87, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

dazz87 macrumors 65816

6. Soulflower thread starter macrumors regular

Soulflower

Never, if it it truly an upgrade that is an improvement.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2019 ---
    Is there a photo anywhere that shows the difference in the text?

7. agente46, Jan 10, 2019

agente46 macrumors regular

I upgraded from a 7+ to Xr

Much faster and way better battery life. Display is no difference for me. I think the Xr is sharper imo. Size is a wash for me since I use a wallet case.

I don’t really miss the telephoto lens, I prefer wide angle shots. If I have to zoom in.. I just move my feet. The camera on the Xr BLOWS the 7+ away. The Xr is absolutely a 100% upgrade from the 7+. Some of the people commenting don’t even own a Xr

Worth it IMO...if you can get $300 for your 7+ do it because next year your 7+ would be worth $200 or less while you will retain more value with your Xr

I sold my mint unlocked 7+ with extra accessories for $350 on CL and it was such a hassle. Not worth $50 more to deal with CL people.

8. Soulflower thread starter macrumors regular

Soulflower

9. NorthSeaBeach macrumors 6502

Yeah right. One is full hd 401 ppi and the other is a sub hd 326 ppi screen.
    The Xr screen is less sharp. That's why I returned my Xr and bought a mint used 8 Plus.

10. dazz87 macrumors 65816

but its 401 ppi vs. 326 ppi how is that possible? better battery life on a low resolution screen will always yield better battery life...........

11. agente46 macrumors regular

I know what the numbers are and I really don’t care what’s on paper. The colors are richer on the Xr and more accurate. Possibly if I really looked at it side by side zoomed in at a close range but I would never use a phone that way. I read with the phone about 10” away and to me the Xr display looks better. My opinion.

12. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

The text is not blurry. It's actually very good.

Nobody in the entire world complained about the iPhone 8 screen. Suddenly the iPhone XR, which is the exact same thing, is "blurry", but humanity's eyes have not evolved one bit from 2017. We couldn't discern individual pixels then, and we can't now.

For me it was a very clear-cut upgrade from 7+ to XR.

13. agente46 macrumors regular

Quality of the display can trump resolution numbers.

Here the Xr vs a cheaper 1080p display. Yet everyone seems to think the Xr is better. Stop looking at numbers and look at the display.

14. dazz87 macrumors 65816

I did look at the display and it’s not as sharp as my 8 plus......don’t really care what other have to say (YouTube video)

15. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

Why are you still discussing here then? Good luck with your 8 Plus.

16. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

Unless you need the 2nd "optical zoom" lens and the slightly sharper 1080p the XR and the home button is an upgrade in every way.

17. tboyd37, Jan 10, 2019

tboyd37 macrumors newbie

I upgraded from a 7 plus to the XR mainly for wireless charging.. I will admit the $320 credit Verizon gave me made an influence on my decision.. the only thing I really miss and I didn’t realize when I upgraded was the zoom on the camera on the XR is only 5x instead of 10x but I’ve learned to live with it.I also wanted to do it before the trade in values go down and even at launch of the XR most retailers were even them only offering about $200 for my trade. Otherwise for me the display difference is really nothing... but you have to decide what works for you

18. wolfboy, Jan 10, 2019

wolfboy macrumors regular

I have a 7 Plus, bought my fiancee an XR. If you use Facebook owned apps: FB, Messenger, Instagram, they are definitely blurrier. Apparently, these apps are still targeting iOS9 and scaling up because a small percentage of users are still on iOS9. There's some bug that crashes iOS 9 users if they compile with the XCode 12 SDK, so they have to compile in an older Xcode that doesn't support the screens of the XR/Max. The question is, is it also blurry on the Max? I can't confirm as I don't know anyone that has one.

Most other apps targeting iOS10+ are not too bad, but I can for sure tell the difference with those three.

19. NorthSeaBeach macrumors 6502

The colours might be more saturated, but the screen on the Xr definately is less crisp than the screen on the 7/8 plus. My wife has a 7 plus and I have compared that one with my Xr for a week. The difference with small text was pretty obvious to me. Holding the phone at a normal distance. Since reading is what I do most on my phone, the Xr was a nono and I returned it.

That YT video is only about a video comparison, not text.

20. Rodneyp macrumors newbie

You are going to be very happy with your choice.

For those of you talking about text crispness. I am not seeing any issues with the text on the Xr. Maybe my eyes are old enough it doesn’t matter. My wife took my 7 Plus and looking at text side by side I am hard pressed to see a difference. I will say there is something about the Xr’s display that makes me prefer it over the 7.

21. coney718 macrumors regular

I seriously considered the XR but after playing with it in the Apple store the screen difference is noticeable. I know some say they cant tell but side by side with my X and the 8+ i noticed immediately. For many people that may not be a deal breaker because the XR does have alot of positives and if you're not comparing it side by side to another phone you probably wont notice.

22. Geffen macrumors 6502

I just upgraded from a 7 Plus to the iPhone XR and I didn't notice any difference in the screen a few things I do notice that are different is battery life is much better on my XR and apps load much faster than they did on my 7 Plus. I'm also happy that I went with the 128GB as I had only 32GB on my 7 Plus. I had to keep moving apps to and from the cloud. Every now and then I see people calling the XR a budget iPhone i really don't think of it as a budget iPhone it's an upgrade from my iPhone 7 Plus in my opinion.

23. Agile55 macrumors regular

Agile55

Thx for that Geffen as I got nudged over the edge Fr. to trade in my iP7+ for an XR which arrives Mon.

Looking forward to receiving it & the slightly smaller size but more screen real estate, coupled w/ wireless charging to use w/ my AW4 on the newly announced Belkin charging mats were all factors.