7 Plus with 10.1 Public Beta - Portrtait Mode Very Noisy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Johnny-Don, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Johnny-Don macrumors member

Johnny-Don

So I have portrait (bokeh) mode with the 10.1 Public Beta. So far I am not impressed and am really hoping it's a beta issue. Unless you are in a super brightly lit area (as in there'd better be some full natural sunlight coming in somewhere or maybe professional portrait lighting) the photos are super noisy. I have attached a photo taken in a well lit kitchen.

Attached Files:

2. Jal217 macrumors regular

Jal217

Your problem is that is not a well lit kitchen. That's going to be a noisy picture for any camera or it's going to be a dark picture.

You are correct in saying portrait mode is worse, The telescopic lense isn't optically stabilized either so it's low light performance will show more noise. But really that's not wel lit.

3. Johnny-Don thread starter macrumors member

Johnny-Don

I guess I was just expecting it to be as good as the regular iPhone camera in similar lighting situations, I've attempted to show it off a few times to my "what's different about the 7" friends, and it's failed me. I guess outdoors with natural light will be the only time it can be used.

4. sdwaltz macrumors 6502

I don't see the issue - looks like an incredible picture to me.

5. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

That is pretty acceptable given those conditions. The kitchen actually looks fairly poorly lit for photography without a flash.

You're looking at a very small sensor with a 56mm lens.

You would have gotten noise with a much better camera to some degree most likely. Well lit for the eye is not well lit for a camera sensor unfortunately.

6. Johnny-Don thread starter macrumors member

Johnny-Don

Thanks all for the replies. Maybe they will add option for a flash.

7. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

I wonder if that is even possible given how the phone does portrait mode? It seems like the flash could confuse the sensor when it comes to the 3d mapping since it does wash out things fairly often.

Portrait mode is cool and all but it's definitely a gimmick. It will be quite a while before it ever gets to a point that it could compete with an actual camera for portraits.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Looks like you 7+ is having to crank up the ISO as the lens is stopped down for the portrait effect. You will get much better result with more light.

9. Sampoteste macrumors newbie

Sampoteste

While I agree that more light will yield better results, I have to disagree as seeing it as normal on the new iPhone. One of the features touted of the new iPhone was its low light performance. It lives to those claims when not shooting in portrait mode. I have taken nice pics with my phone in low light and I like them a lot. It is not unreasonable to think that portrait mode will behave similarly. That said, the iPhone camera is miles away from a DSLR or high end point and shoot. I guess what I am saying is that observations like the OPs are not necessarily unfounded.