"7 Reasons Apple Shareholders Should Be Cautious"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by itommyboy, Apr 24, 2010.

1. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

At least one or two of the points highlighted in this article ring true to me as things to keep an eye on as a shareholder. What do you guys think?

Yahoo finance article from WSJ

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The only thing I would be really worried about is steve job's health.

3. macfan881 macrumors 68020

I'm sorry but who ever wrote that article sounds like a pure apple hater all the reasons they seem like a Pc fanboy. please Apple isnt tanking anytime soon Apple's stock has been probably one of the best performing stocks since the Recession hit.

4. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Apple stock will continue to rise as long as they keep the public loving their products.

5. Gustavo Machado macrumors newbie

Yahoo warning other companies shareholders, ironic.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The Wall Street Journal...

7. Frisco macrumors 68020

#1) Windows 7. Best Operating System Ever.

#2--7) Google: Android is about to eat Apple's lunch.

Dump your Apple stock now and be happy with your profits.

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

9. puma1552 macrumors 601

You guys would be wise to take some of those points under consideration and let the fanboyism and "haterism" go by the wayside.

There is a LOT more to a stock price than just delivering products the consumer likes.

The stock has doubled in a year; if that's not good enough, I'd say you're overly greedy and deserve the inevitable correction that stock is going to see in the next 6-12 months.

10. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I partly agree... Apple stock is over-valued. I do not believe it can sustain $230+.

It always goes up after a product launch, but hopefully will settle into a maintainable price. I suspect, outside the new iPhone, no other high-profile products are coming this year. Mac updates don't count; I don't think they affect Apple's "wow" factor too much.

And I don't think the upcoming iPhone HD, or whatever it'll be called, will have people waiting hours and hours in line like the iPhone 3G or the iPad. It'll be nice, but I don't see where it'll be so revolutionary as to generate the hysterical buzz of the iPhone 3G or the iPad.

And Steve Jobs' health does play a big part, too, unless they can replace him with someone who also can control the famed Apple RDF (reality distortion field).

11. mstrze macrumors 68000

is GOOG stock overvalued? Can it sustain 500+?

I am wondering what's your reasoning that APPL's level isn't sustainable? The stock is up nearly 900% in the past 10 years (I recommended it to a friend when it stood around $10 a share!!!)... Every 2-3 years, R&D comes out with a brand new product that 9 times out of 10 blows people away...percentages of people who own Apple products continue to grow...Apple is the largest US-based manufacturer of cell phones....etc.

Unless you have some real info that for some reason Apple has stopped innovating or coming up with new ideas, I find your theory to be based solely on wishcasting.

In my opinion, I think APPL still has room to grow. Sure, innovation is built into the current prices, but the same was true before the release of the iPhone and iPad and with the rousing success of those items, the investors continued to buy and drive the stock price higher.

PLUS there are still BILLIONS of dollars NOT in the stock market that will be looking for a place to invest as the economy bounces back this year. Investors who has stayed with cash or money market accounts, CDs or bonds have seen meager growth while the stock market has increased some 70-80% since the lows in March of 2009! With a return of stability and economic growth, those folks are going to pour money back into the markets and APPL is likely to remain a favorite.

APPL prices go down a bit before the release of a new product, then when reality hits, it soars again...almost predictably. True, it's unlikely there is a brand new product in the pipeline THIS year, but we already had one (iPad). Give it until 2011 or 2012. No reason to think there won't be something impressive coming down the pike.

I agree, it would take the death of SJ AND some sort of p|ss-poor CEO to take over who doesn't see a need to innovate to truly destroy APPL stock and the company. And that one-two punch does not seem the least bit likely. HECK, if SJ dies tomorrow, I would guess there is probably enough 'magic' being developed to keep APPL cruising for another couple of years easily.