Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masciam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Hey everyone,
I am really bummed out and just wanted to check if this happened to anyone else. I'm from Brazil and was in Canada for 2 weeks or so. I was able to grab a 7+ black 256gb in Toronto on September 23rd.

Now I'm in Chicago and was using the phone right before I went to bed (1 AM) and it was working fine. I woke up this morning and it said No Service, which was weird.. I started walking around town and it still wouldn't work. I tried swapping the sim with my mom's phone and it was working on her, so I figured something was wrong.

I tried changing sim, network resetting, hard resetting and even erasing to phone, to no avail. If I turn the phone on without a SIM and insert the SIM later, it won't even recognize it. I tried going to the Apple Store but none of them have this particular model in stock.

Problem is I'm leaving for Brazil today and the phone won't come out there until December, if Apple follows previous years launch dates. Until they have replacement phones it will be even longer.

Now I'm stuck with a $900 iPod for 3 to 4 months.. considering I buy a new iPhone every year, that's almost 1/3 of the time I usually have it, so I thought of returning it, but since they still don't have carrier free phones here in the US I can't even do that.

Has anyone else experienced this? It's the A1784 btw (intel modem). Sigh.. It was good for the 12 days it lasted.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I assume you already cycle-power it. It happens, "things" will fail, nothing to do but return.

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
Hey everyone,
I am really bummed out and just wanted to check if this happened to anyone else. I'm from Brazil and was in Canada for 2 weeks or so. I was able to grab a 7+ black 256gb in Toronto on September 23rd.

Now I'm in Chicago and was using the phone right before I went to bed (1 AM) and it was working fine. I woke up this morning and it said No Service, which was weird.. I started walking around town and it still wouldn't work. I tried swapping the sim with my mom's phone and it was working on her, so I figured something was wrong.

I tried changing sim, network resetting, hard resetting and even erasing to phone, to no avail. If I turn the phone on without a SIM and insert the SIM later, it won't even recognize it. I tried going to the Apple Store but none of them have this particular model in stock.

Problem is I'm leaving for Brazil today and the phone won't come out there until December, if Apple follows previous years launch dates. Until they have replacement phones it will be even longer.

Now I'm stuck with a $900 iPod for 3 to 4 months.. considering I buy a new iPhone every year, that's almost 1/3 of the time I usually have it, so I thought of returning it, but since they still don't have carrier free phones here in the US I can't even do that.

Has anyone else experienced this? It's the A1784 btw (intel modem). Sigh.. It was good for the 12 days it lasted.
You realize that you bought a GSM phone and you live in a CDMA area right.

masciam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
You realize that you bought a GSM phone and you live in a CDMA area right.

All the carriers in Brazil are GSM, not CDMA. This is the model that will be sold in Brazil later on. It works on our LTE as well (band 7).

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
Looking at the Brazil specs it needs the extra bands provided in the CDMA phone. The Intel chip might not be compatible with your networks. Might want to check with Apple. Pretty sure I read someplace that Brazil needs the Qualcomm chip

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I tried swapping the sim with my mom's phone and it was working on her, so I figured something was wrong.

Did you try putting any other sim in your phone, especially one from another carrier?

Perhaps somehow your carrier blacklisted your imei by mistake? Try calling your carrier too.

masciam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Looking at the Brazil specs it needs the extra bands provided in the CDMA phone. The Intel chip might not be compatible with your networks. Might want to check with Apple. Pretty sure I read someplace that Brazil needs the Qualcomm chip

I've been buying iphones in the US since the 5 and never had a problem. All the carriers in Brazil use GSM and LTE band 7, CDMA has been discontinued for a while now.
[doublepost=1475713325][/doublepost]
Did you try putting any other sim in your phone, especially one from another carrier?

Perhaps somehow your carrier blacklisted your imei by mistake? Try calling your carrier too.

Yes, I have tried ATT, T-Mobile and my brazilian SIM. They all work on my mom's iPhone 7, so the problem is definitely my phone. I erased it just to check if it would help, and now I can't get past the activation steps since it doesn't recognize the SIM.

If I turn the phone with the SIM on, it says No Service. If I turn the phone without a SIM it says No SIM, and won't recognize it unless I restart the phone again. If I try to activate it, it says "activation servers are temporarily unavailable" or something similar.

I tried connecting it to iTunes and it simply shows a blank page saying "iPhone". It's really weird.
[doublepost=1475713384][/doublepost]
can you try to scratch the metal on your sim card with your key , a kindly scratch it a little bit . I used to have same experice with new phone in ATT network

I will try that. Thanks for the tip!
[doublepost=1475714461][/doublepost]Here is the screen

Attachments

• IMG_0043.JPG
    IMG_0043.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 162
Last edited:

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Instead of just erasing the phone, download the ipsw and do a DFU restore on a computer with iTunes.

Just making sure, you did purchase the iPhone 7 directly at Apple Store, didn't you? Not Bestbuy or a carrier store, right?

Last edited:

kenhagemann

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2015
I've been buying iphones in the US since the 5 and never had a problem. All the carriers in Brazil use GSM and LTE band 7, CDMA has been discontinued for a while now.
[doublepost=1475713325][/doublepost]

Yes, I have tried ATT, T-Mobile and my brazilian SIM. They all work on my mom's iPhone 7, so the problem is definitely my phone. I erased it just to check if it would help, and now I can't get past the activation steps since it doesn't recognize the SIM.

If I turn the phone with the SIM on, it says No Service. If I turn the phone without a SIM it says No SIM, and won't recognize it unless I restart the phone again. If I try to activate it, it says "activation servers are temporarily unavailable" or something similar.

I tried connecting it to iTunes and it simply shows a blank page saying "iPhone". It's really weird.
[doublepost=1475713384][/doublepost]

I will try that. Thanks for the tip!
[doublepost=1475714461][/doublepost]Here is the screen

I actually had the same issue with a 7+ and the issue was solved by me calling Apple. For whatever reason there was something with the IMEI and the activation server on their end. This was after i got a phone back from them for Apple Care replacement. Also did you know find my iPhone on ? If so go to iCloud.com and disable.

masciam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Instead of just erasing the phone, download the ipsw and do a DFU restore on a computer with iTunes.

Just making sure, you did purchase the iPhone 7 directly at Apple Store, didn't you? Not Bestbuy or a carrier store, right?

Yes, I bought it at the Apple Store.

I actually had the same issue with a 7+ and the issue was solved by me calling Apple. For whatever reason there was something with the IMEI and the activation server on their end. This was after i got a phone back from them for Apple Care replacement. Also did you know find my iPhone on ? If so go to iCloud.com and disable.

I tried their online chat and they had me do a DFU restore. Now it's even worse, since I can't get it out of recovery mode anymore. The restore process ends up in error code 3 or -1. I think my device really is bricked now.

masciam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
You need to call them, forget the chat- Re the bricked phone, check the cable

Maybe I should've called before, now I don't think I'll be able to get the phone to work again.
Was your problem exactly like mine? Because I think it's really unlikely to be software related.. the phone wouldn't even recognize when I removed/reinserted the SIM tray.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Yes, I bought it at the Apple Store.

I tried their online chat and they had me do a DFU restore. Now it's even worse, since I can't get it out of recovery mode anymore. The restore process ends up in error code 3 or -1. I think my device really is bricked now.

I once have this problem because my router was blocking certain ports for iTunes to communicate with Apple during a restore. You may want to try another internet connection, just to rule it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.