7+ (Unlocked 1661) network compatibility

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hArrisburger, Oct 17, 2016.

1. hArrisburger macrumors regular

I purchased my Model 1661 phone through the Apple upgrade program. I originally purchased it as a Sprint phone. I was told by both a Verizon and Apple Support rep that I would be immediately be able to switch to Verizon since it was unlocked. I even confirmed in store it was unlocked.

While I did have some issues switching (imei would not show up as unlocked) eventually a crafty Verizon rep got it to work and my phone works well. Save for the fact I don't have access to VOLTE. The Verizon reps have told me that even if the phone is unlocked, some features are only available on Verizon phones. And if I had gotten an unlocked Verizon phone it would work. That there would be "software pre installed" That makes zero sense to me.

Needless to say this is important to me. I'm on my phone often when I need access to data and I don't have wifi. I have gone to an ATT Store and they put a sim chip in and it worked. My question would be two fold:
    1. Does the Verizon story have any merit?
    2. If I do switch to ATT I know it is compatible, but am I sacrificing network coverage and potentially limiting the available bands?
    Thanks!

2. tekjunkie macrumors 6502

1 Verizon story is true but in apples case I thought they allowed VoLTE.

2. I get better service with ATT then Verizon and this is a Verizon stronghold area, or was. I think Verizon has gotten too greedy and it's starting to show in areas bother coverage and quality and CustomerCare.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You should buy a phone for the network that you use the most.
    Not if sometimes for a few days you might end up somewhere and want every single band and technology available.
    If You use Verizon then you should get a Verizon iPhone.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Possibly? I purchased the sim free iPhone 6+ and it didn't work correctly with VoLTE on AT&T. Eventually a carrier update was released and the problem was resolved(I had to exchange my phone as well, but that was a seperate issue).

The Sprint/Verizon iPhone 7 has all of the same bands as the AT&T/T-Mobile iPhone 7.

5. hArrisburger thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all. I am still leaning towards switching to ATT. Verizon suggested attempting a swap at an Apple Store, but I can't see why they would do that.