7 Useful iPhone Tips You Might Not Know

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 18, 2019.

1. MacRumors, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2019

MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

So you've been using an iPhone for years now and think you have it all figured out? Don't be so sure. We've gathered up 7 tricks obscure enough that even the most seasoned iPhone user is likely to learn something new, so make sure to check out our latest YouTube video and read below for a little spoiler of all of the tips that are included.

[*]Reopen Last Closed Safari Tab - In Safari, if you press on the "+" button at the bottom of the display, you can reopen tabs that you've recently closed.
    [*]Set a Music Timer - Like to listen to music when falling asleep but want it to turn off after a set time? In the Clock app, choose "Timer," scroll to the end, and select "Stop Playing" as an option. That'll stop your music when the timer runs out.
    [*]Move Multiple Apps - When you're moving apps on your Home screen, if you long press on one, drag it away a bit and then tap others while continuing to hold the first, you can group them all up and move them together.
    [*]3D Touch for Folder Notifications - Have a bunch of apps in folders? If one of your folders has a little red badge, you can 3D press on the folder to see which app has a pending notification at a glance.
    [*]Simple Settings Access - In an app like Messages or Photos and want to get to the Settings quick? Just say "Settings" to Siri and it will open right up.
    [*]Siri Song History - In the iTunes Store app, you can find a list of all the songs you've ever asked Siri to identify. Just tap on the three line icon at the top of the display and then choose "Siri."
    [*]Passcode Lock Apps - Apple doesn't let you passcode individual apps, but there's a Screen Time workaround. In the Screen Time section of the Settings app, choose "App Limits," and set a 1 minute timer on "All Apps & Categories." Go to "Always Allowed," add apps you DON'T want to lock, and then the rest will require a Screen Time passcode to access.
    Did you learn something new? Now it's your turn. Let us know your most obscure, hidden iPhone trick that MacRumors readers should know, and we might feature it in a future video.

Article Link: 7 Useful iPhone Tips You Might Not Know

2. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Nice tip regarding reopening the last closed Safari tab.

3. lunarworks macrumors 65816

That music timer is really handy. Someone should make a shortcut for it.

4. vicviper789 macrumors regular

I wonder how many other things are in iOS that are genuinely useful that I don’t know about because it isn’t obvious. There really needs to be an indicator of something is 3D pressable

5. Unity451 macrumors regular

Unity451

Move multiple apps! Didn't know that, but that's awesome!

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

These are great tips. Thanks for posting! I never would have thought of the Passcode app workaround on my own.

7. akfgpuppet macrumors regular

akfgpuppet

This is the only reason I love 3D Touch.

8. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

I wish I'd read this a few hours ago, before my work SE was upgraded to a 7 (we're always on the cutting edge of tech! :D).

There's no backup facility, we don't use iCloud, instead Blackberry UEM, so have to download all the apps again, which spread themselves across several homepages with absolutely no organisation. It took my entire lunch break to set it up!

9. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

10. Nabby macrumors regular

I like the move multiple apps as well, as that was one I didn't know.

The biggest feature surprise to me wasn't in this article. It's holding the space bar down to move the cursor in a text field. I find that WAY much easier to make sure I'm put my cursor at the correct location. I don't know when that functionality was added, but I think it came with iOS12.

11. imran5720 macrumors regular

imran5720

i am not able to find "iTunes Sore app" where is it?

12. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

I for the life of me cannot get this to work.

13. Goldfrapp, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019

Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

In case you didn’t know,

It’s possible to set Screen Time for individual apps (which seems more logical), rather than for all apps with exclusions.

14. AngerDanger, Jan 18, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Try dragging an app away from its original position, and then while you're still holding it, tap others.

@jclo, the wording is a little ambiguous in the article; perhaps it could be clarified.

15. siddavis macrumors member

You can 3D touch anywhere on the keyboard to move the cursor. Is what you describe is the non-3D touch alternative?

16. Goldfrapp, Jan 18, 2019

Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Same here, never worked for me either, no matter how hard I try.

Just goes to show that Apple’s way is clunky, awkward, unreliable, and ironically, very un-Apple-like.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 18, 2019 ---
    Yup, tried that a million times before. Still doesn’t work.

17. trainwrecka macrumors 6502

Press and hold on keyboard (possibly spacebar only) to get the selection cursor in text. Move your thumb around to place it where you want.

18. motm95 macrumors regular

Press and hold on the keyboard to move the cursor around.

Edit: What he ^ said. :)

19. zombierunner macrumors 65816

zombierunner

20. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

21. bonze, Jan 18, 2019

bonze macrumors newbie

Start the move of the first icon by just a little bit, then start tapping on the additional icons. It took me a couple of minutes to find that as well as it is not described properly in the article. If you hold but don't move the icon, tapping won't do anything.

EDIT: Moving the first app very slightly will cause the "x" to disappear on the selected icon. It appears that once you get the "x" to disappear, then you can add other apps.

22. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

It was something that was added in iOS 12 probably mainly for non-3D Touch iPhones, but works on all devices.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 18, 2019 ---
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger_button

23. Scooz macrumors regular

Settings (also in third party apps) and multi-app move are my favorites. Thanks for that!

24. NMBob macrumors 6502a

I suspect it's ||| turned 90 degrees.

25. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

That's what the video is for! I will update the wording, though.