7 vs 7 Plus (coming from 6)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JerTheGeek, Sep 8, 2016.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I know this has been asked plenty of times before, but since the new iPhones are official and I'm sure many are wondering the same thing before they pre order later tonight.......7 VS 7 Plus!
    So I'm coming from an iPhone 6. I had decided on the 7 plus a while ago, cause I figured I could just order it, use it and hopefully like it, but if I didn't I could just return and swap for a 7 instead. Unfortunately, I just thought of a very important detail. Chances are, the 7 will be sold out by the time I decide on the Plus (after a week or so). So I'd be stuck with my old 6 and maybe not a 7 till who knows when. Made me realize that I need to pick the one I actually want now. Before the preorder.
    I have a cardboard cutout of the Plus to get an idea of the size, and it seems like it would work. But it definitely is hard to get an idea of how it would work day to day just by using it in the store or having a cardboard version of it.
    So, is anyone upgrading to the 7 Plus from the 6? Any advice on whether I should take the plunge and go for the 7 Plus, or stick with my current size? Feel free to ask your own size debate questions here too.

2. ChinkyBob macrumors regular

ChinkyBob

Hi. Is it just me? The pictures on the iPhone7 samples are all dark! The is one close up pic of a woman in an alley and she is completely in the dark - the pic makes no sense?????

3. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

From what I saw in the keynote the iPhone 7 has the exact same wide angle lens as the 7 Plus. Just the 7 Plus has two lenses.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I went from a 4.7" HTC One (M7) to the iPhone 6 plus in January 2015. It is an adjustment, no doubt about it. For me, it is pretty much a two handed device. It is definitely more noticeable in my pocket as well. But I love the larger screen and longer battery life.

5. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

My concern with the Plus is the one handed usage factor. I have larger hands and I can one hand it pretty well, but to reach that top corner I have to stretch whereas on the 4.7 I don't have to do that. But will it be worth it is my question to myself....but I'll never know if I don't truly try it and use it day to day. I'm hoping it will work for me cause it seems really nice to have to extra screen and better cam. If it absolutely doesn't work, I can always return: just would be an extra hassle to have to wait a while to get a 7

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yeah, I quickly came to the conclusion that for me, the 6 plus was a two handed phone.

7. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Hmmmm that is definitely something I wonde about. I think I really just have to try it. I just feel like the 7 isn't as big of an upgrade as the Plus, I know it is coming from a 6, but thenPlus feels like it would be much more significant.

8. Lakailb87 macrumors regular

This.

I have a 6 and to be honest getting bored of iPhones since I have had them for so long. iPhone 7 doesnt excite me at all, my 6 isn't slow so I feel like it's almost no update at all to the 7. The 7+ seems like the only real upgrade I was just hoping by the 7 model they would have fixed the bezels.. ugh no idea what to do

9. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I feel the same. I'm not really bored with my iPhone, but the upgrade to the 7 just doesn't seem as compelling and TBH, fun. The 3D Touch would be awesome, camera would be an improvement, and of course the design and jet black color are cool, in addition to the force touch home button, better color gamut, and waterproofing. But the bigger screen and cool new dual cam features, not to mention battery improvements, on the 7 Plus, seem like much more compelling upgrades to me. And I can see the bigger screen being super nice to have, making the one handed use not much of an issue (and I should still be able to do one handed use most of the time).

10. flynnst0ne macrumors regular

It's too bad Android blows

11. Niksmom630 macrumors newbie

I'm also coming from a 6 and have decided to go with the 7 Plus also, although to be honest, I am a bit concerned that I might not like the size. I actually stopped in an AT&T store yesterday to look at a 6 Plus again to get a better feel for it, although I know every day use is really what I need to understand if I'll like it.

If the 7 had the same camera, then it would probably not even be a decision for me--I would stick with the 7, but I also admit the battery life and larger screen are also appealing. Hoping I am making the right decision also.....

12. CMEdinburgh macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat.

So I caught the bus to the Apple Store here in Edinburgh and (along with quite a lot of folk) tried 6 Plus against my 6 to see what would work.

Answer?

But big in my big hands but great screen. And I use the home button double tap on my 6 at times and think the Plus will be great.

Shirt pocket? Perfect

Jacket pocket? Perfect again

Jeans pocket? I noticed the bigger size but very comfortable.

Conclusion? I'll get the Plus.

BUT I will get it on the Upgrade plan, buying at 0% APR and see how I feel next year when the next one appears.

I'm pretty confident in this approach now.

13. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Even if they had the same camera, I still think I'd want to go to the 7 Plus cause of the screen and battery. These are great benefits (along with the dual cam) and I'll never know if they are worth the extra size if I don't try it and use it.

14. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

I had a 6S and sold it to get the 6S plus. I was reluctant like most because of the size, but I wanted better battery life so I went for it.

I got used to it and now the 6S feels so small to me. I have no problem using it one handed I do it all the time and the battery life is so worth it.

I would never go back to the 6S or 7. I'm sure you won't regret it either and going from a 6 to 7 plus will definitely feel like a upgrade. Good luck!

15. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I'm debating this myself. I'm coming from an old iPhone 4S, so either one will represent a nice large size increase. One of the things I use my phone for is gaming, and I'm really looking forward to the larger screen for that. I'd love the larger screen size of the Plus, however my big concern is how I would carry it around as I currently keep my phone in my front pocket, and often wear jeans. I doubt the larger Plus would fit in my jeans, so I'm most likely going to get the regular iPhone 7. I do NOT want to go back to the old days of carrying my phone on a belt clip.

16. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

Boy do I know your struggle. You can see that on the 6S Plus I cannot reach that corner. On the 6S, I can reach the top of the phone. I have no idea what I'll do.

Attached Files:

17. MartyCan macrumors 68000

MartyCan

You're putting pressure on yourself about what phone to preorder only so you can get it on launch date?

If the decision is that important why not stick with your current phone until both the new options are availble in store (which they will be soon enough - maybe sooner than you think) and try them both out first? Or just go check out 6s aND 6S+ now to decide. They really are not THAT different.

18. caelius macrumors 6502

caelius

I can't decide either, so I'll probably just get both and re-sell/return the one that I like less. Always had the small one and find it perfectly fine, but I'm just sooo curious, how I'd like that bigger screen.

My only worry is that sitting down etc. with a 7Plus in my jeans pocket will be uncomfortable.

19. Lakailb87 macrumors regular

I don't know what to do either, have had the 6 for 2 years and I am bored with the 4.7" size. 7 doesn't feel like enough of an upgrade over my 6 because my 6 is still fast.

7+ seems like the only way to feel like I am upgrading but I thought they would have fixed the bezels right now. I am so tempted to try out the S7 edge because of the size of the phone while having a 5.5" display and I have been an iPhone user since the 3G came out.

Decisions to make before midnight..

20. H1JJY macrumors member

I'm also in the same boat, got a 6.
    Not sure if to upgrade to a 7 pulls or save my money and just get a 7, or even wait for the 7s/10.
    But the waterproofing is the biggest selling point to me

21. Rangers94 macrumors 6502

Rangers94

There's no doubt the 7 will feel much better in the hand just like the 6s is compared to the 6s plus but for me the bigger and better screen, better battery life and camera are too much to sacrifice for solely "better feel" in hand.

My next wish is for Apple to get rid of the top and bottom bezels on the + to make it more comfortable in hand. I think with the change in the home button we are headed in that direction.

22. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I'm also trying to figure this out.

On one hand, I think I can call myself a power user, and if I spend so many hours in front of a screen, it would be better if it is bigger. I also take a lot of pictures and edit a lot on the go. I transfer pictures from my DSLR and use it as a viewfinder, and from this point of view a larger screen (and a bigger battery) is such a great win.

But on the other hand, the huge size is a giant turn off. But I guess I could deal with it though, in my country you get to wear a jacket 8 out of 12 months so pocket space isn't really an issue. But during summers, vacations, festivals etc pocket space will be a huge issue, in the worst case I could keep my 6 though.

Also, a wireless future with my apple watch and airpods might also be nice.

23. dmillar74 macrumors regular

Been debating the same thing. I feel, coming from a white/silver iPhone 6, a black iPhone 7 plus will be a nice change (except how large it is).

24. Mackneezie macrumors regular

Mackneezie

Same boat here. Still undecided. Guess I'll see when 3am comes around how I am feeling!

I use my phone a LOT for my IT business and I remote into machines all the time on it so a bigger screen would be nice, along with battery life and that camera! :D :D I keep going back and forth haha.

25. myvoip07 macrumors member

I had 6 and i am definately going for 7+ for the nice camera upgrade, water resistant, cpu etc. I use to upgrade every before 6 came out but didn't upgrade to 6s/6s+ came out.