7 weeks using Gevey unlock SIM ...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bbmiLo, May 2, 2011.

1. bbmiLo macrumors regular

Hey guys, just wanna give a somewhat long-term review on using the Gevey SIM.

Little background info:
    I split my time between New York and Shanghai so I need an unlocked phone. Contrary to what some people think, buying an unlocked phone in oversea market was difficult, most of Asia countries did not have consistent supply until this March.
    I had to settle and buy it when I was in New York this January. Of course the unreasonable practice of Apple/AT&T is, paying $600 without contract obligation and yet it's still a locked phone.

I got tired of waiting for the Dev team unlock, I got tired of using the phone as an iTouch and carrying another phone around in Shanghai, so when the Gevey unlock solution came out on 3/14, I had to give it a try. I went to the local store that was doing the unlock, paid 400RMB which is like $60, the guy unlocked the phone in under a min.

After using the phone in Shanghai for 7 weeks, I can honestly say it's very reliable.
    The signal is very stable, I have full bar with China Mobile service. When you do lose service in case of subway/elevator/etc, it always finds the service again when signal becomes available.
    I only had to redo the unlock process once. I was on a subway ride to a remote suburb area and lost the service, once signal was back, my phone service was back on, but could not get back on the data service. I had to reboot the phone and do the unlock process.

IMHO, if you have a locked phone, as of now, Gevey is the way to go, especially with the price rapidly dropping. I experienced no negativities of any sorts. Hope that helps.

2. icrot macrumors newbie

good to read this. hope you are not a gevey marketer team member :D

i am going to get one too. my i4 has been only a paper weight for the last 6 mo's. do you use the PRO model (Gevey series 2) or the 1st model ?

i was wondering also, why a group of smart people like DevTeam still don't come up with a new unlock so far... if they want to sell the unlock and gain profit for their brainwork, oh yea...i'll be first group on the line... let's be realistic, unlockers don't mind to pay them.. (pay is for a sure thing, donate is for a hopeful thing)

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. alukado macrumors member

Gevey sim is as good as it advertised, though it is inconvenient to use first time.

5. bbmiLo thread starter macrumors regular

I got it on the day it came out in middle of March, so I am sure it's the 1st version.

I am not pulling for Gevey or anything.
    I tried to buy a factory unlocked phone in Hong Kong and Singapore multiple times since last summer without luck. I was willing to pay the $760 price tag from Apple China, but the supply was extremely limited to get one. I was even willing to sign 2 year contract obligation with China telecom just to get the phone quicker, but even that has a month plus wait.
    Being home market, USA was the place where you can easily get the phone, but thanks to BS politics, customers are stuck with locked phones.
    I was just glad that someone finally came up with unlock solution, and am more happy that it works properly, thats all.

6. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

iPod Touch.

7. bruinai macrumors newbie

Will this work on singtel in singapore?

8. Gavernty macrumors 6502

Pointless post by a no lifer

9. loyalist macrumors 6502

Great post OP. Where can I find the most reliable Gevey SIM that actually works for cheap? Seen all the ebay ads but unclear if those are reliable.

10. WMuntean macrumors regular

Mine has also worked pretty well. I do, however, have some issues where cellular signal is poor (e.g., basements in office buildings). When this happens I'll need to go through the whole re-booting process to restore signal. Small price to pay for having a workable unlock, though.

11. bbmiLo thread starter macrumors regular

In that case, it depends on the carrier then. Are you in the US?
    I use it on China Mobile in Shanghai, never had to redo unlock process when losing signal, and I am talking about losing for real, not elevator/basement/subway, but remote area without cellular towers.

12. bbmiLo thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I used it on Singtel in S'pore.
    Worked in Thailand, Vietnam, Indo, Malay, and lots other places.

13. BlindSoul macrumors 6502

I toally agree with the Team Maker. I'm using the Gevey Pro for about 3 weeks already and it works great... Sometimes I even have better signal then others near me does. That's so weird...

14. mwknowl2 macrumors newbie

trouble in singapore

How did you get it to work on singtel in singapore? I get an immediate call failed everytime when I dial 112 so I can't get mine to work yet. Any suggestions?

15. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Way to not follow in his footsteps, good job there champ.

To OP - Thanks for the info. Considering how simple this unlock is, I'm considering updating the BB on my phone and getting rid of the 1-signal bar issue. Not that I need an unlock, I just figure an unlockable BB isn't worth that much when methods like this exist.