700x400 .AVI to iPhone w/ MPEG Streamclip

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Chris2121, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Chris2121 macrumors newbie

Hey guys! - I have been trying (without success) to export a 700x400 .avi to my iPhone via MPEG Streamclip. However, no matter what setting or preset I use, I NEVER see the horizontal black bars when the vid is played on my phone. Does the iPhone automatically stretch the vid on its own? (i.e., would I have to manually add the black bars using another program, so that the iPhone would "see" them as part of the video? If the iPhone's native resolution is 480/320 (1.5 aspect ratio), and my .avi is 700/400 (1.75 aspect ratio), then the phone must be either compressing or cutting off a vertical portion of the vid. Either that, or there's some unknown setting somewhere in MPEG Streamclip that can solve this.

I think what my question boils down to, is that if the iPhone sees a widescreen vid, will it automatically stretch/crop it by default, or will it add the black bars? If the latter, then I'm not exporting properly...

Thanks for any help you can give...I've been frustratingly trying to solve this for the last 2 hours..4:03am now..grrr

2. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Well i don't know Streamclip, but I use MediaCoder for this and it crops the video to the right aspect ratio as part of converting for the iphone. ie in your case it crops the right and left sides of the vid (to make it 600x400) before transcoding it to mp4 in the right size for the iPhone.

Maybe Streamclip does the same?