70GB Photo Library - Best way to back up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by henrys, Sep 28, 2015.

1. henrys macrumors regular

Just wanted some advice after doing a bit a research, on my iPhone I have a lot of videos and photos, and losing everything would be horrible,

I currently back up on my mac occasionally and have iCloud back up turned on (200GB storage plan) but I'm not too sure what happens to old photos as I delete them and update my library how does that affect the iCloud backup, i once delete 2gb worth of photos (locally) and the iCloud back up size did not reduce, I had to turn back up function off and on for it to update (without uploading all the photos again)

I have just read about iCloud photo library, would this be a better option that iCloud backups? to keep my photos full res I'm using 'download and keep originals' settings on iPhone, and full res will upload to the iCloud including geotag and all relevant info? such as what device it was taken with etc

Is this the best way to retain full res photos locally? i will continue to back up with my mac and the whole library in full res will be on iCloud as a backup backup?

2. Kaspersky Suspended

Kaspersky

3. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

Is there an easy way to just drag the entire photo library over to an external HDD?

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I use Flickr. Google is also an option. Both offer free storage (Flickr is 1tb I don't know about Google). As far as I can tell, there is no compression uploading to Flickr. And you can set it to upload automatically over cellular, or you can stick to wifi.

I do suggest backing it up to a hard drive as well, but I like the added redundancy of Flickr myself.

Apple also offers a solution, of course, though there's a monthly fee, and 70+ gb won't be cheap.

5. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

I use iCloud and google.

Well, and a hard copy.

6. Kaspersky Suspended

Kaspersky