Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Hasn't found anything because there are no viruses on the Mac

Most people do not run an AV software on the Mac for that reason

But, that will open up the debate again... so carry on

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
It might be the greatest application ever written but it's completely useless so we'll never know.

"I believe vampires are the greatest golfers but they never get the chance to prove it"
- Tracy Jordan​

Pretty much sums it up.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
So I do not need to have AV?

In my opinion "no"
You just need to practice safe computing

There are no viruses... but there are trojans
A trojan/malware will try to trick you into installing, but it will require you to use your administrative password

Your best defense is being informed about what you are doing

You can run ClamXav
It can keep you from passing a virus on to a Windows user if you share a lot of files

But there are no viruses for the Mac

That could change... but that is the current state

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
No viruses for OS X. There are trojans, which can be protected against by common sense.

As far as Mac antivirus software goes, though, iAntiVirus is the best. It's got flaws, but it's the best.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I was going to install it on my new iMac, what sort of problems or faults does it have?

I found it lacking in features and preferences (very much so). ClamXAV has more options, but it could be more user-friendly as well. Both kind of lag the system making it hard to do other things. That always annoys me and for my laptop it can only run when I'm using it unless I leave it on over night to run. Not a fan of that. I mostly just have ClamXAV watch my Download folder for new arrivals to scan, which doesn't take much processing power away from my computing.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I was going to install it on my new iMac, what sort of problems or faults does it have?

It automatically quarantines files, no option to just get it to alert you. It often seems to damaged quarantined files, for example, if they are applications or in disk images. This would be alright, if iAV didn't pick up about a dozen legitimate penetration testing applications as threats.

If you want to install it, make sure you go through the list of "threats" on PC Tools' site, and f you have any of the programs marked as "Hacktools", you store them in a folder and set iAV to exclude that folder.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
Hasn't found anything because there are no viruses on the Mac

Most people do not run an AV software on the Mac for that reason

But, that will open up the debate again... so carry on

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

The first time i ran the iAntivirus scan it found three "trojans" which i don't know if they were even a problem or not but it deleted them easily and it hasn't found anything yet. I was surprised when it found them because I didn't think macs could get viruses but I looked the ones up that it said I had and it found three of these type:

Trojan.OSX.RSPlug.F is a Trojan horse that modifies the Domain Name System (DNS) settings of the affected system.

I wasn't even sure what that meant but on the iAntivirus website it said it was serious. So I run iAntivirus from time to time just to make sure.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio

It has overloading CPU usage. When its doing a scan it always has over 50% cpu usage. So that's why I don't run it that much because it makes the computer run hot.

I attached a picture of the process it runs while its doing a scan and the cpu usage % is around 70%. It fluctuates between 50 and 70% usage the whole time its running a scan.

Attachments

• iavd.jpg
    iavd.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 203

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
The first time i ran the iAntivirus scan it found three "trojans" which i don't know if they were even a problem or not but it deleted them easily and it hasn't found anything yet. I was surprised when it found them because I didn't think macs could get viruses

There's a missing detail. You said it found a trojan, but then was surprised because Macs don't have viruses. Trojans and viruses are different things.

Also, Macs can get a virus file, but simply having that file on the Mac does not mean it's infected. The virus cannot run on mac so it can't execute its virus code. The code only runs on Windows so it's of no harm to Macs. Though, if by chance that file got transferred off your machine to a Windows machine (maybe email or moving an external HD) then that Windows machine would become infected.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I understand, I just don't believe there are enough Mac threats to make me want to use a Mac threat scanner.

And most Mac users agree with you

1. Stay away from downloading questionable files, they are the likely host for trojans ;)

2. Pay attention when granting your Administrative Password to any request

That just about covers it

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

AJTEX

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2011
How good is iAntivirus!

I found a AntiVirus app called "VirusBarrier Express". Is this any good and does it scan for virusses and Trojans?

Does it use alot of CPU memory ? (it does not run in background, but runs a scheduled scan)

Thanx for any replies in advance.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Trojan.OSX.RSPlug.F is a Trojan horse that modifies the Domain Name System (DNS) settings of the affected system.

RSPlug and its variants are installed by tricking the user to manually install malicious video codecs.

I suggest you install Perian, Flip4Mac, and XiphQT.

These codecs will allow you to play almost virtually all of the video formats you will encounter so that you know that prompts to install another codec are most likely malicious.

iAntiVirus = Mac only threats
ClamXAV = Windows only threats

ClamXav has definitions for all 4 of the relevant trojans for OSX as well as having definitions for Windows and Linux malware.

I found a AntiVirus app called "VirusBarrier Express". Is this any good and does it scan for virusses and Trojans?

Does it use alot of CPU memory ? (it does not run in background, but runs a scheduled scan)

Thanx for any replies in advance.

VirusBarrier Express is like ClamXav in that it doesn't have full on-access scanning and doesn't run as root.

Client side software that run as root lead to privilege escalation if exploited and that allows virus/worm install without user interaction (password authentication) so not running as root is safer. (EDIT: It is rare for client side software that receives remote input to run as root. AV software that runs as root is a rare example. The likelihood of exploitation of this type or exploitation of OSX in the wild in general is very low as indicated by incidence rates.)

The downside of VirusBarrier Express is that it is unable to be set to on-access scan specific folders such as ~/Downloads, ~/Library/Mail, ~/Library/Mail Downloads, ~/Library/Application Support/"name of online game" and etc to catch malware at its common entry points.

VirusBarrier Express only allows manual on-demand scanning while ClamXav allows on-access scanning of specific folders. It should be noted that Snow Leopard already has a utility that detects 3 of the 4 Trojans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.