Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
I have a 9C9F panel with some real color accuracy issues. Purple "blues", neon greens, and orange "browns".

The saturation on the panel is ridiculous and I've tried over a dozen color profiles and three calibrations to no avail. If anyone's ever played with the "digital vibrance" option on Nvidia-equipped PCs, it's as if this slider was cranked.

Anyone else notice this? Definitely returning this asap.

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
I have a 9C9F panel with some real color accuracy issues. Purple "blues", neon greens, and orange "browns".

The saturation on the panel is ridiculous and I've tried over a dozen color profiles and three calibrations to no avail. If anyone's ever played with "digital vibrance" option on Nvidia-equipped PCs, it's as if this slider was cranked.

Anyone else notice this? Definitely returning this asap.

I have this SAME EXACT problem. New MBP 13".

Edit: Is your address book on the dock a sort of orange-yellow color? Mine is.
Are all of your links/ status bar highlight things purple? Mine are.
Are your iChat bubbles really really bright? I think we have the similar defective screens.

I spoke to a rep on the phone and he told me to calibrate. Did absolutely nothing even when I set it up in expert mode. I'm bringing it in to be serviced because I'm sick of returning computers and having to transfer everything.

2x edit: http://lh3.ggpht.com/TShirleyTan/SEpG9LnoU5I/AAAAAAAABYU/LdUcuaYdPwk/IMG_8960_r1.jpg
Tell me if the leafs on the left look ridiculously bright. They do for me.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
I have this SAME EXACT problem. New MBP 13".

Edit: Is your address book on the dock a sort of orange-yellow color? Mine is.
Are all of your links/ status bar highlight things purple? Mine are.
Are your iChat bubbles really really bright? I think we have the similar defective screens.

I spoke to a rep on the phone and he told me to calibrate. Did absolutely nothing even when I set it up in expert mode. I'm bringing it in to be serviced because I'm sick of returning computers and having to transfer everything.

2x edit: http://lh3.ggpht.com/TShirleyTan/SEpG9LnoU5I/AAAAAAAABYU/LdUcuaYdPwk/IMG_8960_r1.jpg
Tell me if the leafs on the left look ridiculously bright. They do for me.

The address book is a weird mustard color and, yes, links are more of luminescent purple than anything else. iChat seems OK.

Link isn't working...

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
The address book is a weird mustard color and, yes, links are more of luminescent purple than anything else. iChat seems OK.

Link isn't working...

Type in nature at its best on google images and search for extra large images. The second picture has a waterfall and a few leafs on the left. On two of my other notebooks the leafs look fine (Dell and MB), on my MBP they look like there was just a nuclear meltdown or something.

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
Yup, neon yellow leaves...

I'm bringing it in to the store on Tuesday. I'm expecting them to say nothing is wrong and send me on my merry way. I'm going to flip a **** if they do.

Right now I'm installing XP SP3 and I'm going to tamper with the graphics settings. I don't have high hopes for this working although I really want it to.

Edit: It's not being picky. There's something obviously wrong here. I wouldn't mind if I didn't need the colors to be accurate, but I need them to be accurate.

crzdmniac

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
My colors seem to be fine after calibrating with my huey, but then again maybe I'm just not that picky about a laptop screen anymore.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Just off the phone with Apple and they are refunding the purchase.

I told them about the color issue and the tech didn't understand and kept suggesting I turn the brightness down. I also have issues with the screen flickering (on both AC and battery) and screen ripples when scrolling.

So, in the last two weeks I've made two returns (first was a bent refurb'd Air they sent out). What luck.

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
Just off the phone with Apple and they are refunding the purchase.

I told them about the color issue and the tech didn't understand and kept suggesting I turn the brightness down. I also have issues with the screen flickering (on both AC and battery) and screen ripples when scrolling.

So, in the last two weeks I've made two returns (first was a bent refurb'd Air they sent out). What luck.

Best of luck with the next one!

klover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Yes, I actually used that one and it made a big improvement but, later, when I started working with some yellow/green images I noticed it hadn't toned those colors down enough.

PolySciSurfer

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
California
I'm using my moms 2.4 Unibody macbook, and the leaves are also neon yellow. :confused:

She has the 9CA5

I think it's just the picture guys.

Her screen also ripples when scrolling through macrumors. It's probably the website and not the screen.

hodgeheg

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2008
I'm using my moms 2.4 Unibody macbook, and the leaves are also neon yellow. :confused:

She has the 9CA5

I think it's just the picture guys.

Her screen also ripples when scrolling through macrumors. It's probably the website and not the screen.

How much or little the ripples both you is one thing - if you're happy with the screen that's all that matters.

But I can't see how it would be the website. How could a flat background colour on the website be responsible for ripples? nor would this explain why I've never seen ripples when scrolling macrumors (on 2 Air screens (the second of which was really not a good screen), a 15" MBP pre-unibody, 2 white macbooks, 2 different PCs at work and my current laptop).

One thing... I have no idea what the fix would be, but when I was researching monitors a while back, it seemed that any given high colour gamut monitor had people complaining about similar effects - excessive saturation etc, because almost no software knew what to do with the extra gamut. Apple are advertising these new displays as higher-gamut.

It's not something I know much about, so someone who knows more may be able to extend or refute this idea, but it may be related to that. I don't suppose that would explain why there are seemingly good screens out there.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
How much or little the ripples both you is one thing - if you're happy with the screen that's all that matters.

But I can't see how it would be the website. How could a flat background colour on the website be responsible for ripples? nor would this explain why I've never seen ripples when scrolling macrumors (on 2 Air screens (the second of which was really not a good screen), a 15" MBP pre-unibody, 2 white macbooks, 2 different PCs at work and my current laptop).

One thing... I have no idea what the fix would be, but when I was researching monitors a while back, it seemed that any given high colour gamut monitor had people complaining about similar effects - excessive saturation etc, because almost no software knew what to do with the extra gamut. Apple are advertising these new displays as higher-gamut.

It's not something I know much about, so someone who knows more may be able to extend or refute this idea, but it may be related to that. I don't suppose that would explain why there are seemingly good screens out there.

I agree that the color saturation (i.e., the "neon"-ization of colors) is probably a software issue.

The greyscale on my 13" MBP is dialed in nicely but the saturation is excessive.

As I recall, Dell had similar complaints with their RGBLED XPS Studio 16 (particularly excessive reds).

z.j.c5

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
I am having the same problem I have spent all day today trying to change the settings to make the issues better but nothing is working! Its becoming really annoying and is putting me off Apple Products!

Do people think its wise to return the product or wait to see if there is a software update for this?
Can it be solved via a software update?

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
This is probably just the "wide color gamut" issue, which is a marketing benefit, but actually a hinderance when trying to display content rendered in normal color space.

People have the same issues with the wide color gamut LCDs.

For this to work properly you need your OS and all applications to be colorspace aware, and you need all of your content to be properly tagged.

Edit: My text above may not be true. I've read a bit more and see that they claim to now cover 72%... so full sRGB. This would be a good thing if that's true.

z.j.c5

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
I was thinking myself it could be because I am not use to the 60% extra gamut . I am coming from a MacBook Black so maybe I just got so use to that im not use to these new colours. I hope they can sort this with a software update.

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
Okay, it's more than clear that there is a problem not unique to several people.

We can keep on posting the same thing, i.e. calibrate you monitor / use that other app / "i have the same problem!" kind of posts or we can face facts.

1. Calibrating the monitor is not working.

2. Everyone sending computers back is not the most ideal way to solve a problem. It is beyond inconvenient.

3. There must be something we can do besides these things.

PolySciSurfer

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
California
Okay, it's more than clear that there is a problem not unique to several people.

We can keep on posting the same thing, i.e. calibrate you monitor / use that other app / "i have the same problem!" kind of posts or we can face facts.

1. Calibrating the monitor is not working.

2. Everyone sending computers back is not the most ideal way to solve a problem. It is beyond inconvenient.

3. There must be something we can do besides these things.

Well, I'm waiting to see what people make of this before buying mine. But on my moms 2.4 Unibody macbook, I have a few of the issues they mentioned, and none bother me.

z.j.c5

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
According to that site then were all threating over nothing. Maybe Snow Leopard will fix the issue?

z.j.c5

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
Anyone else found any work arounds for this issue or is it something we should sit on and wait. I don't think there is much point returning the product if the next one I get has the same issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.