72 hour report

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JamesGoodman, Jan 8, 2016.

1. JamesGoodman macrumors member

I am a writer and teacher and because I have always lived in small spaces I've been using laptops and notebooks as my primary computer since graduate school in the 1980s, when a laptop was either a Tandy 102 (anyone remember those?) or a Toshiba 3100, a fifteen pound AC only behemoth with a 10MB hard drive and a bright orange plasma screen. That was cutting edge, and I was on it. Since then I have used Toshibas, many IBMs, Sharps, Lenovos and more, until roughly 2000, when Windows 97 sent me fleeing to Apple Powerbooks, MacBooks, Macbook Pros, Airs, and now the MacBook Retina.

This may be the most remarkable combination of portability and features since the introduction of the Air. Keyboards are completely subjective and I am pickier about them than any other element. I miss typewriter keyboards. But this one began working for me after about 24 hours and now I am racing away. The screen is light years better than the Air -- so long as you don't need the extra space. If you do, you'll want to 13 Retina, trading in the remarkably light weight, or the Air, trading in the screen. The lack of ports mean nothing to me but simplicity. The USB-C to USB 3.0 adapter is all I need, and even that I'll only use a few times a year.

The key is that I am a writer, with very very limited power needs. For word processing and web surfing for research and downloading even huge text files and doing email, the power that so many of you need for photos and video and number crunching and presentations is completely besides the point. I'd urge others with similar needs to mine to check out this machine. I often carry books and notebooks that weigh much more than this laptop, in its case.

2. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

I'm in exactly the same world -- a journalist-published author of nonfiction and the rmb fits the bill completely. My base 2014 11" mba now just sits, charging, hardly ever used. I use either my desktop mac mini, or my rmb base, gold, for my work, my tablets (Samsung android) for play, and now a very cool Asus Chromebook Flip for fun. Btw, its very close in looks, fit, and speed etc to the rmb. Btw, it cost me $200.

3. JamesGoodman thread starter macrumors member

Exactly. Decades ago, we are among the target audiences for laptop makers (and even word-processing software writers). No more -- as even these threads reveal. But we are still out there and someone at Apple had us or people like us when they designed this machine. Granted I am probably twenty and third if not forty years older than most of the people on this forum. Twenty years ago the difference between carrying 2 pounds and 3 and 4 was not a big deal. My backpack was my backpack. Not so today. I feel every ounce.

4. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I hate to recall how much my Toshiba 3200SX Gas Plasma screen weighed, probably in pounds what todays weigh in ozs LOL

Worst still it was extra for the maths co-processor and the external 51/4 drive that I still needed on top of the 3-1/2" disc drive, Tandy were not big in the UK there were others like Elonex, that have long since died.

This is when wordstar, multimate and lotus 123 were top software