72 New Emoji Including Bacon, Shrug, Selfie and Face Palm Coming in Unicode 9

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 2, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Unicode Consortium recently approved 72 new emoji for inclusion in Unicode 9, set to be released on June 21. New emoji range from expanded smileys and people to new animals, food, and sports.

Notable smileys include rolling on the floor laughing, drooling face, and nauseated face, while the people/body category gains shrug, selfie, and face palm. New animal emoji include gorilla, fox face, deer, shark, and owl, and some of the new foods include avocado, potato, croissant, pancakes, salad, and bacon.

There are a line of new medals, objects like a scooter and a canoe, and emoji to represent boxing gloves, martial arts uniforms, wrestlers, fencing, juggling, and more. Emojipedia has shared mockups and a full list of upcoming emoji.

[​IMG]

The emoji above serve as simple mockups and are not representative of what the actual emoji will look like on various devices, but Emojipedia has created them in the Apple style. Apple and Google's designers will actually custom design emoji based on the Unicode Consortium's guidelines for each character, crafting them to fit in with existing emoji.

Though the Unicode Consortium is releasing Unicode 9 on June 21, the new emoji will not be available on iOS and Mac devices until Apple implements support for them, which can sometimes take several months. Apple currently supports Unicode 8, which introduced emoji like taco, burrito, unicorn face, and popcorn, along with emoji skin tone modifiers.

With the release of Unicode 9 on the horizon, the Unicode Consortium has already begun considering candidates for Unicode 10, with dumpling, takeout box, fortune cookie, orange heart, sled, and more under consideration.

Article Link: 72 New Emoji Including Bacon, Shrug, Selfie and Face Palm Coming in Unicode 9

2. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

3. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

4. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

Yes! Put them in iOS 9.3.4. My favorite one is the Santa Face.

5. Komrad808 macrumors member

Komrad808

Sweet! They adding the "SHAKA" (HANG LOOSE)! HAWAII IN THE HOUSE!

6. ovo6 macrumors 6502

7. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

I can still count on one hand the number of times I've used any emojis in my entire life.

8. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

Can already picture it at WWDC
    "IOS10 is our biggest emoji release yet. Can't innovate anymore my ass!"

9. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502

Scottsoapbox

10. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Wait, I take back my sarcastic-pretending-to-be-enthusiastic reply. THEY HAVE BACON! FINALLY!

11. caliguy macrumors regular

caliguy

12. lampwins macrumors newbie

I can only imagine how the last week would have been if that gorilla emoji had been available...

13. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

This, it's getting ridiculous looking for these things. Or at least when you type out the emoji action show it as an option on the predict keyboard.

14. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

So 90's unless you live in Hawaii though.

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Congrats on being old!

16. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

only 72? didn't Facebook just get 1500? If it's not in my recently used I can't find it anyway (on phone or iPad that is, I can search on desktop/laptop)

17. OSXMavericks macrumors member

OSXMavericks

Don't worry, Apple won't implement these until everyone does. It seems to be their new policy.

18. tennisproha macrumors 6502a

It's impossible to quickly find the emoji you're looking for.

19. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

20. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

I'll definitely take that as a compliment, thank you kindly! I just honestly have never cared to use them to convey what I want to say in text, that's what words are for. If kids these days want to talk in rebus, more power to them.

21. nostaws macrumors 6502

nostaws

I wish I could favorite certain emoji. And I know there is a "recent" emoji area, but the minute my four year old sends herself one giant random heap of emoji from my phone, I have to go find them all again.

I want to actually select emoji that STAY in that area.

22. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I was just thinking the same thing, Gorilla emoji + person emoji + gun emoji = happy/sad face (depending on your point of view) lol.

Personally mine would equal --

[​IMG]

23. jezbd1997 macrumors regular

Lol seriously... And I doubt iOS will receive anymore updates after 9.3.3, no way they'd release another major .1 update (like 8.3 or 9.1)

24. ike1707 macrumors 6502

It really is absurdly long overdue, even IF there are 100 other things I would rather see happen in the tech sector.

25. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani