7200 Hard Drive upgrade at Apple Store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mdewberry, May 14, 2010.

1. mdewberry macrumors regular

I am not sure if this has been posted, however I was at the Apple Store at South Shore Plaza (Braintree, MA) this week and I was discussing the new MacBook Pro with an employee, and how I would need to order my MacBook Pro online if I wanted the faster 7200rpm hard drive, and he stated that they actually have the 7200rpm hard drives in stock and could do the upgrade in the store!

He wanted to verify so he went in the back, came out a few minutes later and confirmed that they have them in stock. He stated I would just purchase the MacBook Pro and then pay the additional upgrade cost for the 7200rpm hard drive, and they would upgrade it right in the store!

Just an fyi for those folks that are debating not getting the faster hard drive due to being required to order it online. Also, I am not sure if all Apple stores offer this service, however this particular store is larger then others I have been to.

I know what everyone is going to ask, and no, I did not ask him what model/spec of the hard drive it is, I should have but assumed it is the Seagate model...

Lastly, I continue to debate whether to get the 7200rpm drive due to some reports of vibration and noise. I definitely don't want to feel vibration the whole time I am using the machine, however the SSD for the space I need is WAY to expensive. It is interesting, some folks report quiet and smooth performance of the 7200rpm drive, and others report vibration. I am still debating; I guess I could get the 7200rpm drive, and if noise or vibration is excessive I could purchase the Hitachi drive and have a computer professional install it for me...

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

This is normal, they just don't have MBPs with 7200rpm drives, the upgrade has to be done at the store. The price depends on rep as sometimes they charge the normal HD change price which is the HD + labor (ends up being ~120$)