7200? help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dvpetrenko, Jun 30, 2008.

1. dvpetrenko macrumors newbie

I read all i could find here, but only older threads...

Anyone share any thoughts on 7200 vs the slower rmps, Someone who compared them? (for MBP)

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

well, 7200 rpm is obviously faster, and uses more battery during use
    its also noisier

what will you be using the mbp for?

3. dvpetrenko thread starter macrumors newbie

Basically i use a laptop for my desk too. (switching to mac finally!! :D:apple:)

I'm an architecture major, 3rd year... so heavy rendering and 3d modeling with materials....

some photo editing...
    and "everything" else -text, 15 web pages at a time, a couple of trailers playing, itunes....

(maybe a game during winter break, just to see how well it performs)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This has been discussed ad nauseum. The 7200rpm drive actually uses less battery power than the 5400. It generates less heat and is so quiet it's almost silent. Refer to this test, which states:

5. GUILTIE macrumors regular

Active Idle? Lol, care to explain?

6. HalibutRon macrumors newbie

much better than keeping it all on an internal drive...

Best thing I ever did with my MBP is get a Sonnet eSata card
    http://sonnettech.com/product/tempo_sata_express34.html

Absolutely screaming performance with large files, rendering, HD video editing in FinalCut Suite 2.x , big Photoshop crunching . . .

With 3.5" external eSATA cases and drives being so inexpensive - the best bang-for-the-buck low-cost per GB you can get.

iPhone in Canada thread
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=5688306&postcount=936

7. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

I replaced a dead 4200 drive in a 12" powerbook with a 7200 drive and it runs very well. Battery seems fine, no noise at all, and no noticeable heat increase. If you need to replace the drive, I definitely recommend upgrading.

8. Eric. macrumors regular

Not doing any reading/writing, but not "sleeping" or spun down. Running at its normal speed but not doing any operations, just spinning the platters.

9. dvpetrenko thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow Thanks

i never realized the speed could go greater externally!

10. PLin macrumors 6502

The 7200rpm drives are fast, but some of the higher capacity 5400rpm drives will be just as fast or faster in certain situations due to having denser platters. For example, I remember seeing some benchmarks comparing a 160GB or 200GB 7200rpm vs a 320GB 5400rpm. The 320GB 5400rpm was faster for certain tests.

11. dvpetrenko thread starter macrumors newbie

because higher density less speed equals more or the same actual data per time?? hm:cool:

i read somewhere that it actually matters more where the data is written, ie at the outside rim, it is read faster... beacuse in one revolution more data is read. And the data per revolution diminishes closer to the center