7200 RPM Drive in a new alu macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Daveecee, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Daveecee macrumors regular

Hey, guys. I'm going to be getting a new unibody MacBook soon (2.4 GHz with 4 GB of RAM), and one other upgrade I would like to make is to the hard drive. The stock drives are all 5400 RPM, but I'd like it to be faster, so I want to order a WD Scorpio 7200 RPM 320GB HD from newegg.

Have any of you guys replaced your MacBook hard drive with a 7200 RPM drive? Maybe, specifically, the one I mentioned? Is the laptop any noisier (whirs or clicks) and does it run any hotter?

Any information or drawbacks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Philflow macrumors 65816

There have been a couple of threads with the same subject. You might want to use the search function.

In short: some people are happy with it, some complain about noise/vibration. Same goes for Seagate 7200.3.

3. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

Don't believe what people say - the technical fact is that the 7200rpm drives will draw more power and generate more heat than a 5400rpm. However, it's up to the user how much they care - which is why you get conflicting reports. If you go into it knowing it's going to be noiser, hotter and give you less battery then you'll be fine. You're gaining performance and there's always a small price to pay.

Also people love to compare the new 7200rpm drives Idle power usage to 5400rpm drives since it's similar but every benchmark I've seen when you're using the HD (which I guess you want to do sometimes :) ) they still draw more power than 5400rpm drives.

4. catgo macrumors member

I changed my drive in my new 2.4Ghz macbook 3 days after I bought it (about 3 weeks ago). I replaced it with the seagate 7200.3 320GB drive and I can tell you I cannot notice any difference in heat or vibration from the old drive. The computer is snappier and everything just runs smoother. You will not be disappointed.

5. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I replaced mine with a Seagate 7200 rpm drive and noticed less battery life and vibrations.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Same here.

7. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

Me Too!

8. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Can you make a comment on how it stands up to the iMac now? I just was very surprised how slow the Macbook feels against my iMac.