7200 RPM Hard Drive on New Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skitzogreg, Nov 4, 2007.

1. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

Hey guys/gals!

First of all I want to tell everyone that Apple's customer service is one of the biggest and best things that separates them from any other computer manufacturer. I've had a 1.83 CD that has had multiple screen flickering problems, and after sending it in three times, Apple called me last week and said they would send me a brand new computer! I talked to them today, and I'm getting the [updated] 2.0 C2D Macbook, and I'm already going to order 4GB Ram from Newegg.

My questions are thus. I'm tempted to go ahead and order a 7200RPM hard drive to slap in my Macbook. Will it make a difference with Leopard? Also, will a new hard drive be recognized by the computer? I'm mainly concerned with whether or not it makes a performance difference, so if you know from experience please reply!

Thanks ya'll,
    skitzogreg :apple:

2. Oirectine macrumors regular

Oirectine

Most people say the speed bump is noticeable. I plan to get a 7K200 drive when I buy my MBP in January. You shouldn't have any trouble swapping it out, it's easy to do on MacBooks.

3. skitzogreg thread starter macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

The thing I'm most curious about is how to add OS X to an empty hard drive. I assume I just boot from the DVD, but I don't really know.:confused:

4. robby818 macrumors 6502a

I tried a 7200rpm drive in my macbook. The problem was that it vibrated more than the stock drive so i took it out. The hard drive on the macbook doesn't rest on rubber rails, and it's located right under the palm rest so if you have a fast spinning drive that vibrates you can feel it more than in other laptops.

5. skitzogreg thread starter macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

What brand of hard drive did you have?

6. offwidafairies macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

is it easy to do in mbp?

7. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

It is SIGNIFICANTLY harder in a MBP.

You must have a "jewelers" size TORX drive (I forget the size, T6?) and that is the easy part.

If you are mechanically inclined, and tend to take your stuff apart anyhow, then you are a candidate for upgrading the drive in a MBP. If you are generally never getting into the guts of anything, then don't do it.

During the process, you will need to use gentle but persuasive pressure to lift the keyboard area out of the case. It's possible to break parts.

If any of that scares you off, pay an authorized place to do the work. I did my upgrade myself but over the last 30 years (and longer) I've taken apart cars, electronics, computers and lord knows what else. So it was straightforward for me to do it.

8. offwidafairies macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

ive only ever taken apart desktop computers, not laptops :eek: