7200 RPM Hard Drive: What's the Good Replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BoulderBum, Dec 31, 2009.

1. BoulderBum macrumors 6502a

I have a Macbook with the infamous beeping/clicking Seagate 7200 RPM drive and the firmware update made it worse (in fact, I didn't really notice it till after the firmware update).

An Apple Store Genius said he would be willing to replace the hard drive "if it would make me more comfortable", which it would, though I said I wanted to confirm that I have the bad drive (it turns out I do), and determine what a "good" replacement drive is.

I found this article confirming that the drive with my model number is the "bad" one:
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...acBook_Pro_hard_drive_fix_as_complaints_mount

...and I remember reading elsewhere about what Apple is using as the "good" replacement drive, but now I can't seem to find it.

Does anyone know what Apple is using as a non-clicking/beeping replacement?

2. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Hmm, I bought the same drive back in April 09 as an upgrade to the HD that shipped with my 17" MBP. I wasn't even aware I'm supposed to be having problems. :) Maybe I'm just lucky?

3. Saladsamurai macrumors regular

Hmmm... I have a late '06 MBP that I am looking to upgrade the HDD on. I was thinking of going with a 7200RPM model, but had not got much further than that.

Is it just the 500GB model by seagate? That is, if I was looking at a 320GB 7200RPM HDD, I would be safe right?

4. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Firmware update? How do you tell if your HD needs a firmware update?

5. BoulderBum thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you got a new MacBook Pro now, I'd presume you'd get one whose hardware and firmware corrected the problem.

Go to :apple:->About This Mac->More Info and under "Serial-ATA" see if you have a drive model ST9500420ASG (which is the Seagate Momentus 7200.4). If you do, that's the sketchy drive. If you've ever heard a click (drive head parking, an obviously unusual noise) or beep from the left front side of your MBP, you have the problem.

I think the firmware will automatically download through "Software Update" if it's relevant to your system.