7200 RPM Upgrade???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dimme, Apr 15, 2010.

1. dimme macrumors 65816

I am about to order a new i7 15" MBP, is the 7200rpm upgrade to the drive worth it. Will it run hotter and kill my battery life?
    Thanks

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's worth it -- IF you do it yourself. Apple essentially charges you for a new drive and doesn't credit you for the stock drive they don't give you. Its an easy install if you can use a screw driver. You can easily get a 500GB 7200RPM drive for $90 shipped online. Spend a bit more and you can get a WD Black.

7200 drives do not run hotter or use more battery life. Honestly I don't know why Apple still puts 5300 drives in, especially at the high end.

3. McBob macrumors member

A must!

Totally agree here, Apple are charging a considerable amount more now for upgrading your hard drive than they even are for RAM (how things have changed).

I upgraded my'n a while back on my 2.2mbp and it makes a considerable difference when im working with video in FCP. Also did it for a mate on his Macbook and neither of us have seen any difference on the battery life front. In my opinion after RAM its the best thing you can do to speed up the system. Makes it a good bit snappier compared to 5400 drives.

Lots of videos on line if you get stuck aswel. Dont know if you need torx screwdrivers for uMBP as I did on my older model. You can get a nice set for cheap on line though!

Best of luck.

McBob

4. qaz2 macrumors newbie

Is this still true? I only see a $50 charge for the 5400->7200 upgrade.